English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 September 2009, 01:42   #1
Xenon

A really good guide for INDIVISION AGA?

Hello:

I am thinking on buying an Indivision AGA (I don't find any external FF/SC), but I am an absolutelly noob at dissasembling an A1200, I've only put an internal HD and no more. I've seen some kinds of guides about installing the Indivision AGA, but I have some questions:

1st: What about the metallic anti-short-circuit protection which is above the mainboard? Must be removed forever? Can the A1200 be damaged without this protection?

2nd: I need to replace definitively my HD with a CF-IDE adapter and a Compact Flash?

3rd: Do I need to disassemble any part of the mainboard to put the VGA connector?

4th: Is there any complete and visual guide for people like me?

I like too much my A1200 and I want to have an alive one This is why I have too much questions.

Regards,

Salva
Old 19 September 2009, 11:25   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
1st: What about the metallic anti-short-circuit protection which is above the mainboard? Must be removed forever? Can the A1200 be damaged without this protection?
It is not an "anti-short-circuit" protection. It is an RF shield so that the electromagnetic radiation, produced by the Amiga's circuitry, does not escape and interfere with other electronic equipment. The Amiga works fine without it.

Quote:
2nd: I need to replace definitively my HD with a CF-IDE adapter and a Compact Flash?
Not unless you want to, but it will make your A1200 lighter, silent and faster. I'm pretty sure you have to remove the HD cradle and re-locate your hard drive though.
Old 20 September 2009, 01:56   #3
8bitbubsy

Quote:
3rd: Do I need to disassemble any part of the mainboard to put the VGA connector?
Nope! Keep in mind that the Indivision AGA 1200 is only shipped with the PCB and the VGA cable, so you need something to put the VGA cable in!

Behold, here's what I did (I mounted it upside-down ):

(the metal around the vga port is from an old PCI video card)

Zetr0, LOOK!!! P0rn!
Old 20 September 2009, 05:55   #4
Xenon

Thanks for your answers . I think next month I'll buy one... well... and hope my A1200 will be alive after the installation :P

PS: Yes, I know the question "why didn't you buy one at Breakpoint?" , but now is when I need a ff/sd.
Old 22 September 2009, 04:13   #5
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post

Zetr0, LOOK!!! P0rn!
Oh god you've done it now

You don't HAVE to brutalise your miggy mainboard and can fit as 8bit says. His looks much prettier than mine as I only have a "hole" (oo err!) where the VGA cable connects. I have got a backplate I salvaged from a VERY old PCI graphics card for that very purpose but have not got round to butcher... er fitting it yet

However, I also have half a mind to desolder (i.e. heat with heat gun and remove ) the RF modulator from the mainboard and poke the Indy connector out that way........... when I can work up the courage to let the heat gun near my mobo.
Old 22 September 2009, 15:16   #6
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post
Oh god you've done it now

You don't HAVE to brutalise your miggy mainboard and can fit as 8bit says. His looks much prettier than mine as I only have a "hole" (oo err!) where the VGA cable connects. I have got a backplate I salvaged from a VERY old PCI graphics card for that very purpose but have not got round to butcher... er fitting it yet

However, I also have half a mind to desolder (i.e. heat with heat gun and remove ) the RF modulator from the mainboard and poke the Indy connector out that way........... when I can work up the courage to let the heat gun near my mobo.
Hi ASM1,

Don't use a heat gun/air. Use a (hot) soldering iron with a broad tip, some flux and desoldering braid, it works well and will not heat up the motherboard unnecessarily. It will suck the solder right out of the mounting holes and then you can slide a thin object in between the board and rf box to pry it up and off.