English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 September 2005, 21:23   #1
SteMan

Sound Problems with Amiga Forever 6.0

Hi everyone

I've had Forever 6.0 for a while now, but not used it recently. But when I first had it, everything was fine.
Anyhow, I decided to load it up today and for some reason, the music in game is really choppy and stuttering. I've calibrated and tried allsorts of sound configurations, but none seem to fix the problem. It happens on all the games and I just don't know what it is.

Can anyone help who might know what it is ?

Thanks,

Old 15 September 2005, 21:41   #2
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Do you have anything like Norton or McAfee running in the background? Try a basic test with as little running in the background as you can. Some spyware can also cause this but then again so many different things can!
Old 15 September 2005, 21:50   #3
SteMan

Hey, thanx for the reply!

I'm still trying many things. But one funny thing I just did was, minimizing the screen in which the game is running and you can still here the music playing, but it plays fine. Soon as I bring the WinUAE screen back up....stutter city!

I'll try those options you said.

EDIT:
I've just changed the screen size in the Configurations to 1280x1024 32bit, and the sound got worse.
I then changed the screen to 800x600 32bit, and the sound got better. Looks like it's a window issue.
But why now, when it worked perfect months ago ?

Last edited by SteMan; 15 September 2005 at 21:59.

Old 15 September 2005, 22:04   #4
SteMan

That's it....

I've just had to change the screen size within the game config to 800x600 32bit and the sound problem has gone.
But like I said before, I always played the games with 1024x768 32bit, so whats changed ? Ahhh MEH! anyway problem seemed to be found.

Old 15 September 2005, 23:35   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

your pc is filled with too much shit running in the background.. try a reformat
Old 16 September 2005, 16:35   #6
SteMan

Too Much ****... lol

I hardly have anything running in the background, only the usual stuff;
VirusChecker [NOD32]
FireWall [Sygate]
...and a couple of other minor progs like mouse management etc.
Infact there are about 7 icons in my sys tray like the volume icon and NetWork icon...that's about it.

The only change I have made since is a new graphics card. 'A GeForce 6600GT'. But I wouldn't have thought that would be affecting it.
Anyhow, I'm now running the games in a windowed 800x600 32bit and all is fine, but anything above that, like 1024 etc. and the music is choppy and stuttering.

Old 16 September 2005, 20:00   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

Yeah but its the progs NOT in your systray that might be interfering!

I have no problems in running at 1024x768 and my setup is prolly similar (ok I got a 6800gt) and I can run windowed at my full screen size without slowdown!

Only time I get choppy sound is if I do something intensive!
Old 16 September 2005, 23:26   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I get choppy/noisy sound if the soundbuffer is not large enough. Just noting it for future reference
Old 18 September 2005, 00:32   #9
SteMan

When I first got the emulator, I ran my games at 1024 in full screen also. I had no choppy sound/music. I didn't use it for about a month or so, and now I've got into it again, this happens.
Obviously something has changed but I'm not sure what. Anyhow, I'm happy with the 800x600 windowed. Doesn't look that much different from the 1024.

Old 20 September 2005, 01:39   #10
billy

I can't find it right now (I'm sure you can Google it) but there was an article recently that described a procedure I've been using for quite some time. You can use Sysinternals Process Explorer to kill almost ALL the processes in your Windows System. Including background 'services' that Microsoft maintains will leave you with a useless system. Needless to say, it's an "order of operations thing" that allows you to leave your system running pretty much the foreground app. Very k00l for system intensive applications. I used a similar approach back in the days of the 266-450 MHz PII's when recording my music tracks for a band. Ahhhhhh... the good ol' daze.

Recently it's not 100% useful for me, because I'm using a dreaded AC'97 sound codec. DAMN! But those of you with a HW codec should be in great shape!

Personally I think it would be great to run a script that 'restored your WinXP' system to a useful state, i.e. killed all the background apps one didn't need for WinUAE. Hint Hint.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html