English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 14 February 2006, 03:11   #1
Gnorman

Need help with A1200 HD install please

Hi all, I have used UAE in a very basic fashion to play games. Just recently I decided to get myself the real thing again so bought a 1200 and a 2.5" HD. I have managed to install Workbench to the HD using UAE, although I have not tried it in the Amiga yet. Fingers crossed.

My problem now is installing WHDLoad and / or ClassicWB. I have read the relevant guides and downloaded all the files but I am strugging. Firstly with the installer43.3. I have the ADF but how do I actually get it installed in Workbench, the adf does not self boot so my HD boots up, I can open the floppy and read the guides etc but can't find where I actually install the installer.

Secondly when I boot the ClassicWB real-amiga-install adf it tells me I need system.zip. I can run system.hdf fine but is it possible to install the lite version over my fresh install of Workbench or do I need to start from scratch?

Thanks in advance for any advice and grats on an awesome forum and community. I apologise if I have missed something obvious or not read the appropriate guide, I have searched and am not just being lazy...Honest.

Regards, Gnorman
Old 15 February 2006, 12:34   #2
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

I guess I was kinda lucky, I have a nullmodem cable which I used firstly to get my networkcard up and running, then used lha inside WinUAE to pack the contents of ClassicWB into a more convenient format for the Amigaside, before I simply copied the ClassicWB.lha over via the network, unpacked and rebooted.

I would suggest you find some kind of backupprogram with good compression, (Quarterback, Amiback) backup the ClassicWB installation under WinUAE to one big file, use DOpus to split into 720Kb chunks and copy over via the "floppy disk Network (tm)". Join the backup-file using DOpus, and use the backup program to restore it there.

tedious, timeconsuming (depending on the number of floppies of course) but I've done that kind of thing also.... it works, though not as elegantly as a network or even nullmodem
Old 15 February 2006, 20:41   #3
Gnorman

Now that I have actually started trying to install things to the HD it's obvious things would be easier with the Amiga and PC networked. I assumed I would be able to get everything done by connecting the HD to the PC and using UAE.

Thanks for the help.
Old 15 February 2006, 20:59   #4
Jerry

Actually you should be able to do everything you want using UAE and a plugged in Amiga hd.

As for the installer: I don't know the adf but I guess there's just the file "installer" which has to be copied to your C: directory.
Boot your hd, insert the adf in drive 0, then go to workbench menu and select execute command. Type "copy df0:installer c:"

If that doesn't work you should get Directory Opus from Aminet and explore the disk a bit more. Might also be packed with lzx/lha.
Old 16 February 2006, 00:54   #5
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Never had my AmigaHD in a PC..... Just terribly afraid it would totally mess up my Amiga-stuff
Old 16 February 2006, 01:32   #6
Gnorman

Thanks Jerry I just found the installer prog. I guess it's been longer than I thought since I last used Workbench, forgot all about Show All.

I plugged my HD into the 1200 for the first time tonight and Workbench actually booted up fine, which was a pleasant suprise. No sign of the 2nd partition though, guess I need to double check the settings with HDToolbox the next time the family give me some time off.
Old 16 February 2006, 20:07   #7
Bloodwych

Hi Gnorman and welcome to the EAB. Thanks for using the ClassicWB! This kind of belongs in the ClassicWB forum actually - MODS?

I'm struggling to understand why you need the 43.3 installer program - it's already included in the C directory of ClassicWB packages and is only used by software when installing programs on your Amiga (like windows "setup" files). I think you are confusing this as a requirement to install the ClassicWB?

Anyway, the guides are very comprehensive. Doc's advice is good and a similar method is present in the ClassicWB guides. The System.zip file the install disk is asking for is also explained in the guides and is nothing more than a ZIP archive of all the classicwb files supplied on the WinUAE HDF file.

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm

Have a read through. Everything is covered in their (I think)!

Also, make sure you read the tips and FAQ - it will help you loads when you get that second partition working. Especially the bit about changing the A- assigns in the s/user-startup file ..............
Old 17 February 2006, 11:26   #8
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
This kind of belongs in the ClassicWB forum actually - MODS?
Moved to classicwb forum
Old 18 February 2006, 16:11   #9
Gnorman

Thanks for moving the thread to the proper place.

Bloodwych - It would appear it was just me being stupid. Got ClassicWB installed no problem now. Although in my defence a corrupt Workbench3.1 adf did not help.