English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 February 2006, 19:10   #1
Paul
RIP Friends

Cool MiniMig: The Amiga 500 cloned on a single chip

"Dennis van Weeren, from Hobby Commodore Club HCC GG (GebruikersGroep) of Holland cloned an entire A500 on a single FPGA chip (Field Programmable Gate Array). This new computer has been named MiniMig and will debut next 18 of february at club meeting. MiniMig is capable to emulate all Amiga chipset (Paula, Agnus e Denise) and it uses ".ADF" files loading them thru MCC memory card via standard PC Card Reader. Actually the entire project is based on three little boards. In the end it will be based on a single mini-motherboard. Here is a photo of this little jewel. Very, very impressive."

Source: ann.lu
Old 06 February 2006, 19:20   #2
ant512

A500 handheld? A500-in-a-joystick? Put one of these in a GP2x-style case with a touchscreen and a decent D-pad, and I'd buy two.

EDIT: Ooo, ooo! Amiga on a PCI card. The lack of a decent version of UAE for Linux wouldn't be a problem any more.

Last edited by ant512; 06 February 2006 at 19:29.
Old 06 February 2006, 19:23   #3
spiff
Oh noes!

Dennis Post on amiga.org forum. Not much more info, but in English.
http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...=27988&forum=8
Old 06 February 2006, 19:35   #4
keropi

yep, it's been on .org for ages...
Old 06 February 2006, 19:59   #5
ant512

Yeah, it's been there since December last year. The things you miss out on when you avoid amiga.org, eh? Still, the more of that thread I read, the more excited I am about the prospect of a handheld A500. Now that'd be a reason to learn m68k asm if ever there was one. And I could dig out Storm C! No more of this SDL malarky for the GP2x.
Old 06 February 2006, 20:06   #6
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Is somebody going to make an Amiga 500 on a PCI card for the PC then?
Old 06 February 2006, 22:11   #7
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I hope so, i buy one without any hesitation
Old 06 February 2006, 22:33   #8
DopPie
Zone Friend

Yeah it is a nice project. Aorg is home to another nice project. Not heard much about it the last two months but someone obtained a batch of EC020's and is making a nice and lean accelerator for the A500/600. No coldfire dream-on project but something realistic. Search the forum it is a nice idea.

I'm sure the minimig will be released under GPL someday and then all you need is someone willing to put it on a PCI card. I guess when using some GLUE all the chipset functionalities will become available for the processor on the other end of the bus. I'm just guessing what the use would be....Is there a need to help a modern CPU emulate an amiga?
I see more fun projects in the form of replacement motherboards like the phoenix used to be. Once AGA gets into fpga's one might even add some things we have always missed in our beloved amiga. Chunky graphics, an mp3 decoding custom chip....could be a nice and expensive board ;-) ----slap--- lets not get carried away now.
Old 07 February 2006, 12:01   #9
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopPie
I'm sure the minimig will be released under GPL someday and then all you need is someone willing to put it on a PCI card. I guess when using some GLUE all the chipset functionalities will become available for the processor on the other end of the bus. I'm just guessing what the use would be....Is there a need to help a modern CPU emulate an amiga?
Amiga on a chip, on a PCI card, with runtime library that can be used/abused by Winuae <Drools>...................

Then with a Floppy port on the card you can use standard PC 1.44 drives, Catweisel (SP?) MK4 can go get stuffed

[edit] just read all 20 pages, and WOWOWOWOWOWOW !
ME WANTS ONE.

Last edited by whiteb; 07 February 2006 at 13:21.
Old 07 February 2006, 12:30   #10
gizmomelb

Why stick with floppy drives (apart from copying the last few remaining originals for CAPS/TOSEC maye)? They're finally on their way out on the IBM, just use a SD/MMC card of some sort running as a floppy emulator (and there's a project for that as well on amiga.org) so that the 'Amiga' sees the memory card as a normal floppy.
Old 07 February 2006, 13:47   #11
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
Why stick with floppy drives (apart from copying the last few remaining originals for CAPS/TOSEC maye)? They're finally on their way out on the IBM, just use a SD/MMC card of some sort running as a floppy emulator (and there's a project for that as well on amiga.org) so that the 'Amiga' sees the memory card as a normal floppy.
Well I just signed up and posted on Amiga.com

Yes you can useSD/MMC, I think using them as a Harddrive too.

There is no arguments that the project has *ALOT* of potential.
And your post about LCD's not going down to the low frequency that the unit scandoubles to...

My LCD according to the Manufacturer, syncs between 31-63 horizontal, and 56-75 vertical, reckon they its gonna work on my LCD ?
Old 07 February 2006, 14:04   #12
DamienD
Banned

Wow, very cool stuff
Old 07 February 2006, 16:22   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Aorg is home to another nice project. Not heard much about it the last two months but someone obtained a batch of EC020's and is making a nice and lean accelerator for the A500/600
Dunno about lean, bloated lard maybe

Could have been a nice little earner for it's author, instead it's going to be either a one off prototype or worse, nothing.
Old 07 February 2006, 18:20   #14
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb
My LCD according to the Manufacturer, syncs between 31-63 horizontal, and 56-75 vertical, reckon they its gonna work on my LCD ?
Well I'm guessning since it's not a final product or scandoubler, but no, not unless it does 100hz interlace or 50hz progressive or you run the amiga at 60hz.
Old 07 February 2006, 18:47   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The current version does have a scandoubler and does work with 31KHz monitors, however it wouldnt work with the aforementioned LCD as the current version requires a 50Hz vertical screen mode.

Works with good VGA CRT's though.
Old 07 February 2006, 21:29   #16
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Right, so I am a few hz outta luck then on the vertical
Old 09 February 2006, 13:49   #17
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb
Right, so I am a few hz outta luck then on the vertical
Well, you could be lucky. Usually a screen can be run somewhat below/above the specs. There’s also the possibility that NTSC support is added, and that should scandouble to 60hz (p) just fine.
Old 09 February 2006, 15:15   #18
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Well, you could be lucky. Usually a screen can be run somewhat below/above the specs.
I do not think that is true for LCDs. If an LCD doesnt say 50 or below it wont work. I've tried dozens of LCD's with the Cheese Wedge scandoubler when trying to demo digital set-top-boxes.

Quote:
There’s also the possibility that NTSC support is added, and that should scandouble to 60hz (p) just fine.
Unfortunately Amiga's were too popular in european countries. When Amiga's are in NTSC mode compatibility with some demo's and games is reduced. By how much I do not know.