English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 September 2019, 21:17   #1
Sim085

Epoxy - fixing a broken pad

I have a motherboard with a broken pad. I have done some research and I have read that it can be fixed with a replacement pad and some epoxy. I have manage to get an extra pad from a broken pc motherboard. However I do not know from where to get the epoxy or which epoxy is right for the job.

Has anyone every tried this? What epoxy did you use and fro where did you get it?
Old 08 September 2019, 21:50   #2
eXeler0

I was looking around for something similar a couple of years ago because I destroyed som pads on one of my CD32 while removing caps.
The proper way to fix this is time consuming and requires some special equipment.. (heatbed).. theres a youtube video on this..(I mean, thereƤs plenty of vids on this topic)
But as for epoxy, what you need is something that can stand very high temperatures.. and for easy fixing should be conductive.. well there is such a thing:
https://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/ea...conductive.htm

Depending on whjere you live, I think there can be some restrictions on importing such compounds and you might wanna find a local reseller of such products.

Good luck, let us know how this one ends ;-)
Old 09 September 2019, 18:33   #3
jlin_au

I'd say that any epoxy used should be non-conductive to prevent unwanted circuits from forming when you use the epoxy to glue down the new replacement pad.

You'll need to use bodge wires to connect the new replacement pad to the correct circuit points on the PCB.
Old 10 September 2019, 10:48   #4
Daedalus

Indeed, I would recommend not using conductive epoxy too. There is an epoxy specifically for working with PCBs that I have used for repairing pads, and it works very well. You just need to ensure the new copper overlaps the existing trace so they can be soldered together for electrical connectivity. I also use it as a conformal coating. It's called Chemtronics CW2500.
Old 12 September 2019, 01:17   #5
Hewitson

I'd personally try to avoid repairing the pad. Can you connect the component to something else that is (or was) connected to that pad?
Old 12 September 2019, 20:19   #6
Sim085

Yes that is always an option. I can see that the pad was connected to a via so I guess I could solder a wire from there to the the chip leg missing the pad. However why wouldn't repairing the pad be preferred?

Well it is definitely more expensive to fix a pad ... but are there some other reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I'd personally try to avoid repairing the pad. Can you connect the component to something else that is (or was) connected to that pad?