English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 30 January 2010, 12:30   #1
NoULTalk

Disk cache, pre-cache

According to my knowledge and little googling:
(hard) disk cache (cashing) is technique where we speed up data read/write using some limited RAM space to store frequently accessed data - in fact disk areas. So we have read-ahead, delayed write and similar systems.
Pre-cache should mean loading some data into RAM before it is really requested - in fact similar with read-ahead, but usually uses much more RAM.
Difference between cache and pre-cache by me is that cache dinamicaly changes it's content, trying to decrease as is possible slower disk accessings.
Pre-cache only fills some RAM space with data what is expected to be requested - and it means that we have some initial delay too. And it needs more RAM, of course.
Please, stay at topic.
Old 30 January 2010, 14:14   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

A while ago we had someone posting here, asking similar questions. That very person however didn't want to listen what people said and knew it all better and in the end he left the forum. I think you should better ask that expert ("Where I see myself ? For sure as expert."), he can answer all your questions. Too bad you will have to talk to yourself then, eh?

*Whistles the "fake accounts are stupid" song and walks away*.
Old 30 January 2010, 18:36   #3
NoULTalk

I came here to get some answers. And I got some. Some not, because people appeared not much helpful - "why you need to know Amiga filesys, what it has with porting of WHDLoad to Atari ?..." . In normal World people would answer, or at least give some clue, URL. Not to mention that I never said that I want to port anything on Atari.
In normal World people judge by listening bith sides, by reading careful posts. It is not the case here, and this forum is spoiled with 'supporters' .
Ah, and yes, I don't care about what Stingray or Galahad says. They already presented self, and their knowledge, objectiveness.
Fake account ? NoULTalk = No Useless Talk. So, again, please stay at topic.
This is public forum, and some other people (out of 'supporter' area of buggers) may be interested. If nobody will post here something related, it will say something too.
Old 30 January 2010, 18:39   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoULTalk View Post
I came here to get some answers. And I got some. Some not, because people appeared not much helpful - "why you need to know Amiga filesys, what it has with porting of WHDLoad to Atari ?..." . In normal World people would answer, or at least give some clue, URL. Not to mention that I never said that I want to port anything on Atari.
In normal World people judge by listening bith sides, by reading careful posts. It is not the case here, and this forum is spoiled with 'supporters' .
Ah, and yes, I don't care about what Stingray or Galahad says. They already presented self, and their knowledge, objectiveness.
Fake account ? NoULTalk = No Useless Talk. So, again, please stay at topic.
This is public forum, and some other people (out of 'supporter' area of buggers) may be interested. If nobody will post here something related, it will say something too.
I think it would be in the best interests for you to request closing this account as well.

You're only here to cause problems and trouble, you are not interested in answers, you are only interested in causing issues.

I think its a very valid point to have made that why are you asking about Amiga related issues, when they absolutely will NOT help you with Atari?

I especially take umbrage with you with the COWARDLY way in which you left last time, meaning I couldn't respond to your ridiculous statements. Go be a coward again and go.

EAB doesn't need the kind of trouble you bring.

You are transparent, you are tiresome. Be gone!
Old 30 January 2010, 18:50   #5
NoULTalk

Cache is not Amiga only related. It is general.
Thank you Galahad for wanting to answer me... You had chance at begin, but you'd care more about D-Bug. And did not answer some simple questions. Why I should be interested about your biased 'opinions' ?
When someone talks about speed of SW it is very related with used algorithms, solutions, coding way. But not with speed of HW, on what it is running. I did not talk about execution speed. Speed of SW may be only relative, in compare with some other SW. Only way to compare them is running on same, or at least very similar HW.
I'm sorry for causing trouble by presenting 'tiresome' fact
Old 30 January 2010, 18:51   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I clearly know more about Amiga coding than you'll ever will. Oh wait, probably not, after all you are the "expert" here which is why you ask questions and when you get answers you don't like you start to act rude.
Besides, you crave for attention so much that it hurts.

Quote:
Fake account ?
Yes fake account! You requested your old account to be deleted, why do you now post here again? I will ask a moderator to close this thread since I really do not want people like you here!
Old 30 January 2010, 19:04   #7
NoULTalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
... why do you now post here again?
There are good reasons for it. And you will get answer in few days...
Old 30 January 2010, 19:07   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thread closed.. NoULTalk PM me please with answer, and I am not waiting a few days!