English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 June 2019, 14:30   #1
Marchie

WHDload fails on CD32

I'm trying to run WHDlod on my CD32 but I get errors on pretty much every game I try (disk read error, checksum error, etc. etc.)

I've taken the CF image off my 1200 (which works fine) and I'm using TinyLauncher to launch, but the result is pretty dismal.

Can anyone help me out as to what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm using a TF328.

Last edited by Marchie; 23 June 2019 at 14:49.
Old 23 June 2019, 15:17   #2
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Are the WHDLOAD slaves on a partition >4Gb ?
If you run "version scsi.device" wich version it returns ?
Try running a game from you system partition, does it works ?
Old 23 June 2019, 16:13   #3
meynaf
son of 68k

CF cards can have MAXTRANSFER problems. How is the CF mounted ?
Old 24 June 2019, 01:02   #4
Marchie

Thanks guys, all help is appreciated. I've done this process for my 500's and they work ok, so I'm a bit stumped that the CD32 is falling over so badly. Workbench boots fine, and I managed to start at least one demo, but games are an almost total write-off, some start and fail soon after that, most don't even reach the menu screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochabian View Post
Are the WHDLOAD slaves on a partition >4Gb ?
If you run "version scsi.device" wich version it returns ?
Try running a game from you system partition, does it works ?
No, the card is only 4Gb total, the (three) partitions are 1.3 Gb or so.
Will have to double-check the version when I get home.
I'm running all the games from my system partition already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
CF cards can have MAXTRANSFER problems. How is the CF mounted ?
I would have set it up using this tutorial I used for my other cards, I think it set a max transfer rate of 0x1fe00?

How is it mounted? - I'm assuming you mean physically? CF adapter plugged into the IDE on the TF328? (probably mis-understanding you here, sorry meynaf)
Old 24 June 2019, 08:15   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
I would have set it up using this tutorial I used for my other cards, I think it set a max transfer rate of 0x1fe00?

How is it mounted? - I'm assuming you mean physically? CF adapter plugged into the IDE on the TF328? (probably mis-understanding you here, sorry meynaf)
I meant, mounted logically, not physically
(= with a mount list or with an rdb)
But if it's plugged into the ide then you normally have an rdb.

I remember having the problem on a CF that worked fine if on the pcmcia port of my A1200, but not on the IDE adapter.
Perhaps you can use hdtoolbox or similar tool and double-check if maxtransfer is fine (in all partitions).

Also may be interesting to try to run games from another place, even if it's just ram disk - and/or use the cf card directly on another machine.
Old 24 June 2019, 11:38   #6
Gordon
Settler

I would try.
CF card/adapter/IDEcable from 1200 in the CD32.

If it works...
Try 1200 CF in the adapter/ide cable you are using with the cd32.

Just trying to eliminate problems with the CF card or adapter.
Old 24 June 2019, 15:38   #7
Marchie

Ok, so I tried a different CF adapter and that didn't work at all.

Went back the the original one, I've tried a bunch of demos, and they all work perfectly.

But every game fails with a different weird error (the CF card works under EMU no problem).

Examples are 'Error Line 1111 Emulator', 'Failed to decrunch', 'exception 01fffff', 'data not found' every game a different error. Sometimes I can get the menus screen or the titles, but never the game.

Do I need a special version of WHDload (or special libraries?) to run on a CD32?
Old 24 June 2019, 18:06   #8
th4t1guy

You shouldn't need to do anything different as far as whdload is concerned.
Old 24 June 2019, 19:49   #9
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
Examples are 'Error Line 1111 Emulator', 'Failed to decrunch', 'exception 01fffff', 'data not found' every game a different error. Sometimes I can get the menus screen or the titles, but never the game.
These are typical when you have the wrong maxtransfer value in the setup. Even if you change it afterwards the card will be corrupted and you need to redo it with the right settings.
Could also be an incompatible card.

What brand and size card is it? What accelerator do you have?
Old 24 June 2019, 20:38   #10
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

As demos are working great, are the demos & games on different partitions ?

You have to check the maxtransfer rate as Puggsy said for the different partitions with HDInstallTools
Old 26 June 2019, 01:38   #11
Marchie

Yes, the demos were on a different partition, so I treid the games from the same partition and they work fine.

So I guess it's possible that I can boot WB from a partition without problems, but be unable to run games from the same partition? Bizarre...
Old 26 June 2019, 08:45   #12
dalek

If you use the https://hstwb.firstrealize.com/ hstwb installer it sets up the correct maxtransfer etc automatically. Just use the 4GB CF card image.
Old 26 June 2019, 14:53   #13
Marchie

That looks seriously cool, thanks dalek!
Old 01 July 2019, 15:53   #14
Marchie

Thanks for the help everyone.

Changing the maxtransfer got it working. No idea why on earth I didn't set it properly to begin with...
Old 24 September 2019, 05:34   #15
Marchie

Following up -

I have been running the TF328 for a while now and while most WHDload games work, I'm finding up to about a 1/3 fail. (as opposed to pretty much 100% working on the 1200). They just load for a bit and the then the system just kind of sits there with a black screen until I restart.

Is this just the expected the CD-32? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 24 September 2019, 05:56   #16
dalek

I've found that replacing the CF card adapter on the TF328 with an SD2IDE adapter and SD card fixed the majority of hangs I was having with mine...

Frontier WHDLoad was reproducable 100% of the time, hanging in the intro when the star comes in to view. Same image on an SD card - no issues....
Old 24 September 2019, 10:17   #17
Glen M

And this is why I prefer spinning hard drives. They just work!

I've got an 8GB CF card in my CD32 from which everything works fine. Its a scandisk card connected through a generic ebay CF to IDE adapter.

It could be the CF card, it could be your settings on the CF card, it could be the adapter, or it could even be the cable.

How long is the IDE ribbon cable? On the TF cards you need to keep this as short as possible. Mine is only about an inch (2.5cm) long.

I highly recommend using PFS3 file system and upgrading your scsi.device. Make sure max transfer is 0x1fe00 and make sure to press return after entering the new figure. If you don't it won't remember it.

For setting it up you can feel free to take a look at my guide that talks through a basic workbench 3.1 install and x-bench. With this basic setup my CF card is flying when connected to my TF330. Getting around 5.2mb/s and its rock solid. The video linked below contains a handy dropbox link to download the various files you'll need to create the CF card.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 September 2019, 10:35   #18
dalek

Using the same CF card + adapter + cable + image (yep, pfs3, updated scsi.device and correct maxtransfer) that hangs on my TF328, works just fine on my TF330..... I'm guessing as you say a spinning disk would be fine too.

Last thing that hasn't been mentioned could be a weak power supply, but I'd bet a SD2IDE + SD card + short cable will fix the issue.
Old 24 September 2019, 12:55   #19
Glen M

If the same power supply drives everything fine with the TF330 then I can't see that being the problem as surely the 330 draws more current with its onboard CPU.

A CF card is for all intense purposes an IDE device so that should be the simplest solution. If you look closely at a CF to IDE adapter you'll see its essentially just a pass through from the IDE port to the CF card. Personally I try a shorter IDE cable and/or a different CF card.

If someone could come up with a way to mount a 2.5" IDE drive in the CD32 then I'd be all over that solution. In fact.... leave it with me.
Old 24 September 2019, 17:23   #20
lord of time
Banned

I had the same issue with my TF330 and its CF card - most workbench things worked ok, but WHDLoad games would just crash nearly all the time! it turns out one of the CF card partitions had the wrong max transfer - I changed it to match the workbench's max transfer and it was fine... the following week I wanted to update the WHDLoad slaves and figured it was easier with SDcard so got a SDtoIDE adapter and a 16gb SDcard once I loaded a decent SCSI.device in the startup-sequence it flys!!! no problems at all!