English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 28 June 2019, 13:19   #1
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Smile Docker and cross compiling for Amiga platforms

Anyone in here use docker containers? I do use them a lot in my professional work for pretty much everything.

So I've decided to made docker images both for OS4.x, OS3.x, MorphOS 3.9+ development, which is available here: https://hub.docker.com/r/amigadev/crosstools/tags

They're set up so while you're in the environment, you have the proper environment variables for CC, CXX, LD, AR, etc and using CMake will be a breeze as it sets up the proper toolchain paths within the containers.

The goal with this is to have a dev environment where you can easily switch between platforms for testing to build your application. The images are built in a way so it's set up the same way for either platform, so less time fiddling around setting up the toolchain properly and more time for actual development.

Although currently only AmigaOS3.x, AmigaOS4.x and MorphOS are supported, I intend to set this up the same for WarpOS and AROS as well.

I've made these so that my local development environment will be the same on any computer I use, and so my CI/CD setup for automatic build-and-deploy will work the same as well.

Any suggestions, bug reports etc are appreciated!

Source available here:
https://github.com/AmigaPorts/docker-amiga-gcc
Old 28 June 2019, 15:56   #2
MartinW

Nice, I'm actually in the process of setting something similar up at work for Java development! I might have to give this a try (the OS3.x one anyway).

With the latest VSCode insiders builds being able to work within docker containers it should make a very nice, portable and quick setup.
Old 28 June 2019, 22:14   #3
patrik

Great initiative!

Have given it a quick test, very nice .

I mostly use vbcc which is a breeze to get working locally, but lately I have been using https://github.com/sebastianbergmann/docker-amiga-gcc for some projects. That image should be similar to your 68k version.

Very nice to get the complete setup also with OS4 and MOS images setup in the same way. Looking forward to the possible future AROS images. Right now I cross-compile everything conveniently, except AROS which I boot in a virtualbox to compile.
Old 28 June 2019, 22:18   #4
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Great initiative!

Have given it a quick test, very nice .

I mostly use vbcc which is a breeze to get working locally, but lately I have been using https://github.com/sebastianbergmann/docker-amiga-gcc for some projects. That image should be similar to your 68k version.

Very nice to get the complete setup also with OS4 and MOS images setup in the same way. Looking forward to the possible future AROS images. Right now I cross-compile everything conveniently, except AROS which I boot in a virtualbox to compile.

The 68k image is based on Sebastian Bergmann’s image which is based on Bebbo’s toolchain, which is why it’s similar. My additional work has mostly been to unify the experience between the platforms.

68k = gcc 6.5.0 by bebbo, based on sebastianbergmann image.
PPC-amigaos = gcc 8 based on adtools by sba1
PPC-morphos = gcc 6.5.0 based on (un)official MorphOS team toolchain, gcc6 patch provided by MOS team member