English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 March 2013, 21:16   #1
ImmortalA1000

Copiers/devices capable of duplicating my original commercial game disks?

After a recent scare with some of my favourite games on the old C64 because floppy disks for that are so flimsy it's time to start thinking about how to make backups of my originals to use instead.

Can somebody recommend a highly successful device that can copy commercial disks?

I copied an original of Battle Squadron once using some obscure copier (Hullaballoo??) but would like something more reliable.

Suggestions written on a free Amiga 4000 are welcome
Old 19 March 2013, 21:58   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Battle squadron can be copied with powercopy with the right parameters
Old 19 March 2013, 23:58   #3
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
A KyroFlux would be the tool for this would it not?
Old 20 March 2013, 00:04   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

Should do it yes. Or maybe a Catweasel if the purpose is just to create images of the disks? Not sure it can write them back properly though.
Old 20 March 2013, 00:09   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
A KyroFlux would be the tool for this would it not?
Yep. It provides means to write physically protected disks back
Old 20 March 2013, 21:56   #6
JimNeray
X-bEnCh addict

Blitz copier ?
Old 20 March 2013, 23:01   #7
zipper

I used Syncro Express III and IV, they copied everything what I tried - in worst case it could take an hour...Depending of the drives used (speed difference between them).
Old 21 March 2013, 00:23   #8
BarryB
Amigaholic

I always found X-Copy and Cyclone backed up most of my disks, and of course with my Kryoflux I can write back any protected disk
Old 21 March 2013, 00:40   #9
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

I've thought about this myself before.. Especially since my collection just keeps on growing and growing...

But the Kryoflux is a bit to expensive for me, and I don't have any new fabricated floppy's anywhere anyway... From what I've read there are only a few places left in the states that still produce DS/DD floppy disks, and shipping them to EU would be another huge expense...

Instead I just try to protect my disks.
Once I acquire a new game, I test it, and then i wrap it up in tin foil/paper/bubble wrap etc. and keep it in the box on the shelf out of direct sunlight...
Maybe that will stretch their lives a bit, maybe not.
Old 21 March 2013, 15:57   #10
Mr B

Disc die from one of two things i think. The magnetized info on the disc surface fade, or crap ending up on the disc surface. The first issue can't really be "prevented", and the second... Generally it's not dust and grit that gets on the surface when the disc's are in storage, but mold that simply grows over it. Keep dry, and that issue should be prevented. So if wrapping it up, include a pillow of that moister-adsorbant stuff they include in shoe/electronics boxes. That should do it for a while.
Old 21 March 2013, 22:04   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Generally it's not dust and grit that gets on the surface when the disc's are in storage, but mold that simply grows over it. Keep dry, and that issue should be prevented. So if wrapping it up, include a pillow of that moister-adsorbant stuff they include in shoe/electronics boxes. That should do it for a while.
That's a great tip! ...and it's Silica gel.
Old 21 March 2013, 22:24   #12
Mr B

Yeah, that stuff. I had about 500 floppies in a cardboard box, a single "pillow" and 2 tied plastic bags protecting the lot. So far all the viruses has survived. (Only partly a joke.) In reality i could have gotten away with saving 10-15 floppies, Octamed, mod's & samplings. But at least i got loads of floppies i can format and use for what ever.

When shopping silica-gel, get the color-changing stuff. And remember, it's never "used up" just toss it in a hot dry place for a few hours. Like the sauna when preheating it, or the oven after baking. Just over boiling, for a couple of hours. The stuff in the paper bags generally isn't color changing, so just regenerate it before use, just in case.
Old 21 March 2013, 22:29   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
When shopping silica-gel, get the color-changing stuff. And remember, it's never "used up" just toss it in a hot dry place for a few hours. Like the sauna when preheating it, or the oven after baking. Just over boiling, for a couple of hours. The stuff in the paper bags generally isn't color changing, so just regenerate it before use, just in case.
Another good tip! IIRC, the colour-changing version is blue when regenerated and turns pink when it's saturated.
Old 21 March 2013, 22:47   #14
Mr B

There is a less common color indicating one, orange / green, i think it's down to what chemicals they use for color indication. I've never seen any, but some people claim to have used permanently colored gel. (Supposedly dual purpose, decorative & moist adsorbent in home studio windows. These things are sealed homebuilt double glazed things, so i guess getting the air in there dry makes sense.)
Old 22 March 2013, 06:55   #15
elpiloto

Cyclone with the dongle backed up most of my disks....
Old 22 March 2013, 07:02   #16
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

You wish... success rate wasn't that high.
Old 23 March 2013, 12:08   #17
BarryB
Amigaholic

I only had 1 disk in my collection of about 50 protected originals that wouldn't backup and that was Kick off 2, even Dungeon Master copied fine for me and all the Psygnosis games, so I'd say the success rate was quite high
Old 25 March 2013, 18:28   #18
IFW

For the record mr.vince worked on Cyclone et al - so it's self-criticism
Old 25 March 2013, 19:22   #19
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Indeed. There were hidden patches, e.g. for Kick Off 2 by Anco (think some sneaky data over Index, really don't remember in detail). Cyclone patches boot loader, then writes a new one to 7x and continues there. Technically speaking this is cracking. On the fly...

Also Dragons Breath with SpeedLok on 79.1 would not work due to precomping. Also longtracks at >TRK50 were prone to break.

Still have the source code with Richard Aplin's comments.

It was ok for the time, but later Power Copy did a much better job. Within limits.
Old 25 March 2013, 21:05   #20
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
yes powercopy is the top of the top copier/image actually available apart kryoflux with its IPF writing ability.

Powercopy allows full customizing over syncmarks, it even allows to adjust precomp and many other thing not available on all other copiers.

For instance, with 2 drives it flawlessly copy any copylock game. It just requires motor floppy control to write more data for longtracks.