English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 August 2015, 20:25   #21
beezle
Banned

Never had any issues with overclocking with a stock Intel cooler.
Might lose a few % in potential and gain a few degrees, but these days there's a lot less headroom anyway.
Even so, I've never really bothered with elaborate cooling. My amithlon machine ran without issues running at 4ghz, up from default of 2.6ghz (c2d e5300) for years on standard boxed CPU cooler. Still runs fine, but I upgraded to a c2q (solely for larger caches).

My i7-2700k has also been running at 4.1ghz on stock cooler for a few years and hasn't skipped a beat (fan does speed up sometimes, but its far from noisey and I can't hear it over any audio anyway).

I also run my AROS i7-870 box at 3.9ghz (up from 2.93ghz) on normal boxed CPU cooker. Again, never had a problem.
In fact only once in over 20 years of over clocking everything not bolted down (figure of speech for those compelled with OCD) did I bother with a separate cooler, and that was a palamino CPU and not once have I had a problem.

Obviously doesn't hurt to use a separate cooler, but a better power supply is more important.

As for the question of how fast (Win)UAE is on modern hardware,....
How long is a piece of string? :-)
It can be blindingly fast, or you can bring it to its knees. It all depends on the config.

Last edited by beezle; 25 August 2015 at 20:43.
Old 26 August 2015, 08:08   #22
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle View Post
My i7-2700k has also been running at 4.1ghz on stock cooler for a few years
Ivy bridge and later Intel CPUs need increased operating voltage (fortunately modern boards can adjust it dynamically) if you want good overclocks and it makes lots of extra heat. AFAIK Sandy bridge (2xxx series) was last generation that didn't need it, at least not that much.

Quote:
Obviously doesn't hurt to use a separate cooler, but a better power supply is more important.
I agree 100%. Good quality PSU is one of the most important part.
Old 26 August 2015, 09:12   #23
beezle
Banned

Ah, of course. I actually knew that, but it receded to the back of my brain
Perhaps a little ironically they also run well at low voltages (albeit at <2.5ghz or thereabouts) vs sandy bridge an earlier. Not that I'm telling you anything you don't know I'm sure, but I do remember being simultaneously pleased and disappointed with the thermal and power consumption properties of Ivy Bridge when it was released
Old 26 August 2015, 16:38   #24
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Back on the new rig. Took some time to migrate ~1TB of data from the old system to the new one.Not to mention the old software, drivers and stuff...
Let's say it was late yesterday, or should I say today in the morning.

As I told you I will check c4d and it's indeed twice as fast as on the old phenom.
My default test is to render the c4d logo that comes with the package in 640x360 and 2xAA whenever I get a new system.
On the Phenom it took 8 seconds on the i7 4 seconds to render.
No overclock involved so far.
For comparison, the old Athlon I had before the Phenom did the job in 7 seconds.
SysSpeed gives me a 2.4GHz 68040 on the i7 while the Phenom emulates it @1.3GHz, with JIT direct mode of course.

Noise isn't as bad as predicted but a watercooling seems not the worst idea.

The hole system feels much more responsive. Host and emulation.
Thats like going from a VW to a Porsche.
Christmas came early this year.