English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 April 2012, 22:53   #21
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for those links, fgh!

The Partition Wizard Home Edition Bootable CD looks particularly useful.
Old 24 April 2012, 14:42   #22
keitha1200

Guys any idea why I getting this?

I'm using the Tecsoc roms (37.300 Amiga600HD) with Install 2.0/workbenck (and tried 2.1 also). Just can't install Workbench 2.0 or 2.1.

PS: Tried it on both a Vista and XP machines, and I'm using another cards as the results were the same on the first card (60mb)

HD is formated

System

Install 2.1

Install 2.0

Last edited by keitha1200; 24 April 2012 at 15:05. Reason: addtional information
Old 24 April 2012, 16:13   #23
fgh

The 2.1 install error message indicates that you tried running the 2.1 install program without booting from the 2.1 install disk, could this be the case? (Booting with 2.0 and swapping to 2.1 will not work..)

Regarding the 'unit is not a disk (type 7)' problem in the first post, this is known behavior from HDToolbox with all removable type CF cards on amiga IDE (Not in WinUAE).
The error message can simply be ignored as long as the drive capacity shows up correctly.
Just enter manufacturer and model yourself, and proceed to partition the drive.
(The reason for the error message is that the program is older than removable type storage like CF cards, and the program is confused. [more info])

Also remember to set (and store with enter keystroke) the maxtransfer setting in hdtoolbox to the value 0x1fe00 for each partition to avoid file corruption later.
Old 26 April 2012, 20:26   #24
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Thanks for this post cos I couldn't remember how to do it on a real HD..

One thing,You have to partition the hard drive first in the Amiga 1200 before you can install workbench on it,Using HDSetup.

And change the scsi number from 6 to 0 and it will partition it for you.

Last edited by spannernick; 26 April 2012 at 23:26.
Old 27 April 2012, 00:39   #25
keitha1200

Thanks for all the excellent and helpful posts I've got a different card running in the 600 now but I have a wee problem with the PCMCIA reader

I installed both fat95 and cfd (I think its called) and after some messing about! my 600 reads the cf card through the PCMCIA slot

At first: workbench read the card as: CFO:Ndos! which I thought was rather strange as I had been using the card as a Winuae HD, anyhow I formated the card via workbench, and was able to transfer files back and forward (testing).

I then poped the card back into the PC, then re-started winuae BUT once i boot winuae: it doesn't see the card. I didn't however set the CF as a bootable HD, rather as a IDE1 slave, and I tried installing a Winuae HD as the bootable HD. Also noticed that: Workbench 2.0/2.1 doesn't work or doesn't work in the same manner as the 3.0 workbench set-up (I followed the instruction on lemonamiga).

I'm wondering do I have to return the cf card to a PC readible format again? so I can transfer files between the PC and the Amiga.
Old 27 April 2012, 13:21   #26
thomas

You can have only one, either PC format or Amiga format, not both on one card. FAT95 is for reading PC format. IDE0/IDE1 is for reading Amiga format. By formatting the CF card with FAT95 you made it PC-readable.

If you want to exchange data with a PC, you can use FAT95 on the Amiga and Windows Explorer on Windows. You can use FAT95 also on IDE0/IDE1: you only need to adjust the CF0 mountlist to use scsi.device instead of compactflash.device. But if you want to read Amiga-formatted cards you cannot use FAT95.
Old 27 April 2012, 13:51   #27
fgh

Like Thomas said you can use either FAT or an amiga format for this purpose.

The most common way for file transfers over PCMCIA (also the easiest way, and the default configuration for CF0) is to keep the card FAT formatted.
The most common for CF/SD cards used as harddrives inside the a600/1200 connected on IDE is to use an amiga file system (FFS/SFS/PFS), to allow it to be bootable, etc.

WinUAE reads amiga formatted cards fine, like you did initially. But to access a FAT formatted card within WinUAE it's better to use 'add directory or archive' or 'add PC drives at startup', than to 'add hard drive'. Or you can just copy the files within Windows like Thomas said.

Your amiga can read FAT and amiga file systems, but it needs to be specified. For Compactflash.device CF0: the default is FAT, that's why you get CF0:NDOS with an amiga formatted card.

This is confusing at first, but it makes sense in the end
Old 27 April 2012, 21:58   #28
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I am copying files over from a hdf file in winuae to a real hd but it is taking soon long to copy,so far it has taked about 6 hours so far.I using to copying the stuff over using Dopus.1 in Classic WB copying the System disk over so I can use it in my A1200..
I using winuae on windows 7..??

Last edited by spannernick; 27 April 2012 at 23:14.
Old 28 April 2012, 07:57   #29
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Anyone have any idea why its taking so long..?
Old 28 April 2012, 10:56   #30
fgh

Use uae hd controller (faster than ide0), a fast winuae config, addbuffers (500 or so) to both drives. I seem to remember fullscreen was slower than windowed as well, but not sure.
And there is a turbo mode, press end+ pause/break. For me turbo mode gave random crashes, but it might work better for you..
Old 28 April 2012, 11:54   #31
I.Did
in retromode

HA! As always when Thomas attends to a thread, you'll get a strait answer. If, by change, that doesn't work he'll open Pandora's box, spitting out yet another useful answer.

Master of harddrives - nothing less.

Bless you Thomas.
Old 28 April 2012, 15:28   #32
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Use uae hd controller (faster than ide0), a fast winuae config, addbuffers (500 or so) to both drives. I seem to remember fullscreen was slower than windowed as well, but not sure.
And there is a turbo mode, press end+ pause/break. For me turbo mode gave random crashes, but it might work better for you..
Well it transferred the files and took from 3pm to 12pm the next day...
(I posed this here cos it was about a cf hd so thats like a real hd so that way don't wast a new post)

HD ToolBox partitioned my hard drive into 2 drives and I copied the files but its still not booting from it all that comes up is the shell window saying "AMIGA DOS OPERATING SYSTEM Commodore-Amiga.inc" you know the window anyway..
I must of copied the files on the wrong partition so now got to copy them to the other disk...dam another 20 hour wait for them to copy over..;(
Thanks for the tip have to try it once its coped the files over again..;(

Its so far copied 3 of 49 items so far...Time is now 2.29pm 28/4/2012

Here is a video of it,Its like watching paint dry..
(coming in a minute just uploading it) [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by spannernick; 28 April 2012 at 15:37.
Old 28 April 2012, 17:24   #33
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Where is the addbuffers option in winuae..??..Anyone..??
Old 28 April 2012, 17:38   #34
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
Where is the addbuffers option in winuae..??..Anyone..??
It's an AmigaDOS command.

Edit: for example, addbuffers dh0: 500
Old 28 April 2012, 17:43   #35
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
It's an AmigaDOS command.

Edit: for example, addbuffers dh0: 500
What do i put the into a shell..would that work..?
Old 28 April 2012, 17:49   #36
prowler
Global Moderator

Yes, or put them in your startup-sequence.
Old 28 April 2012, 18:30   #37
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Thanks tried it in a shell and copying now again and its still the same sssllloowww..

Oh well...
Old 28 April 2012, 20:30   #38
thomas

Select high-end expanded example configuration from the quickstart menu, then add some RAM and your harddrives. Use UAE controller, not IDE or SCSI. Install RTG drivers and use uaegfx screen mode. Make sure that cycle exact and vsync are disabled and that JIT is enabled. Disable sound. Set filter to none or use DirectDraw. Set active priority to above normal. If this reduces speed try below normal. Enable on-screen display and describe what the CPU% and FPS LEDs show.
Old 29 April 2012, 22:55   #39
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Its win7 tried it in winxp and it copies the files fine and quick to the HD..

Thanks for all the help..
Old 29 April 2012, 23:01   #40
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
Its win7 tried it in winxp and it copies the files fine and quick to the HD..
Was the change from Win7 to XP really the only thing required to fix the problem?