English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 16 July 2020, 23:38   #41
MikeyG

Old 17 July 2020, 00:09   #42
Biscuit
Baked Produce

That's close to the end of 1-3 and the boss. I keep losing lives on the moving platform because you have to really walk along with it and can't stand still.

I went in blind for a first go at Muirfield Village on WCLB. And it messed me up. Sand! Water! And a really steep green on hole 13. It's no cake walk.

There are a lot of cool holes and I got some in 2 strokes which was nice, but a few of them definitely need more than a quick go. And you will have to turn your direction at times. So, a pretty awful effort from me to start. Still enjoyed it. Something about whacking the ball back and forth, hoping for the best, feels very chilled.

Westchester CC = 75
Muirfield Village = 90
Total = 165

Old 17 July 2020, 02:01   #43
manossg

I lost at the final boss, damn. But nowhere near Harry's score.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200717_015140.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	68188  

Last edited by manossg; 17 July 2020 at 02:09.
Old 17 July 2020, 10:13   #44
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Great score. I was wondering how well you were doing. Gods takes a lot of practice to master - the ending feels a very long way away for me.
Old 17 July 2020, 10:53   #45
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Great score. I was wondering how well you were doing. Gods takes a lot of practice to master - the ending feels a very long way away for me.
Thanks, it turned out quite good, considering I just brute-forced myself through worlds 3 and 4, but even with a more meticulous go I doubt I can approach Harry's score.

There are quite a few places where you need to memorize stuff, else you suffer a cheap death. But overall the game is much better than what I remember!

Now I want to just use the passwords to complete the game. Any hints on the final boss would be much appreciated.
Old 17 July 2020, 20:11   #46
RuySan

This is getting hardcore. I see the easiest way to collect a gem this month is to play the golf game, and that's something I only do on the Wii (because my daughter likes it)
Old 17 July 2020, 20:56   #47
Harry
HD Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Now I want to just use the passwords to complete the game. Any hints on the final boss would be much appreciated.

I do the last boss with brute force. I stand on the middle platform and shoot that snake thing with the axes you can collect in this last world. Shots on the skull itself have no effect. I lose 3-4 lives at the end boss due to his little shots.
Old 17 July 2020, 21:14   #48
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
This is getting hardcore.
It might seem a bit hardcore, but consider that when this Leaderboard started, I couldn't even get to the 1st boss! Practice and a bit of homework does the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I do the last boss with brute force. I stand on the middle platform and shoot that snake thing with the axes you can collect in this last world. Shots on the skull itself have no effect. I lose 3-4 lives at the end boss due to his little shots.
Damn, I don't think I can get to the f*^*&^er with more than 5 lives to spare, especially if I get there with a password. Also, I couldn't get these axes, because of a beautiful block that wouldn't go away, so I shall have to figure out how to make the bloody thing disappear. Thanks, mate!
Old 17 July 2020, 23:03   #49
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
This is getting hardcore. I see the easiest way to collect a gem this month is to play the golf game, and that's something I only do on the Wii (because my daughter likes it)
Now you're tempting me to buy a Wii.

I'll warn you in advance. I'm hoping to up my Gods game. Although the only chance of me beating it in the next two weeks is probably using passwords.
Old 18 July 2020, 03:10   #50
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ I enjoyed this one several years ago : Mario golf (Gamecube)

Now, when I have time, like to play Links : https://www.linkscountryclub.com/proshop.
Check the link the price is REALLY interesting.

No promises, but will try to score with World Class Leaderboard (as I liked this game a lot BitD).
Old 18 July 2020, 16:08   #51
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Also, I couldn't get these axes, because of a beautiful block that wouldn't go away, so I shall have to figure out how to make the bloody thing disappear. Thanks, mate!
Without the axes, it's super hard to kill the boss, and you probably lose all your lives.

There's a block that you can make go away using a key. Then you have to destroy the blocks below the axes

Game wants you to get mace from the thief near the boss door. When you have mace (power 1) you teleport back to a secret room to get increase WP and have diagonal mace to destroy the blocks easily and get the axes). But you can destroy the blocks with fireball & jumping, which has the advantage not to use increase WP full for mace but for AXES.

And to defeat the final boss, I have a method that makes me lose a few lives, but it's pretty efficient: avoid the 2 fireballs the first time. Get hit by them the second time on the middle platform, allowing to be properly positionned when the snake comes out from the end: shoot like crazy, then turn back to shoot like crazy again. Should do it. Repeat.

When does that competition end? I'm more and more tempted to play & complete it again. Would waste 2 hours of my life though. Plus I have to play on the real miggy (what else), and after a while the 060 gets hot and picture starts to flicker (noticed it when I almost completed Magic Pockets ... but failed ), so I'll have to do that in one go.
Old 18 July 2020, 16:50   #52
john4p
Local Moderator

^ You have 13 days. The rounds of this competition always end on the last day of the month at 23:59.
Old 19 July 2020, 14:07   #53
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
^ I enjoyed this one several years ago : Mario golf (Gamecube)

Now, when I have time, like to play Links : https://www.linkscountryclub.com/proshop.
Check the link the price is REALLY interesting.

No promises, but will try to score with World Class Leaderboard (as I liked this game a lot BitD).
Good to hear from you Malko. I seem to remember Links is the next series from Bruce and whatshisname Carver. Keep meaning to check out the one game in that series on Amiga and see how good it is compared to the normal favourites. Surprised to see the 2003 version still selling. The specs requirement is very retro, could probably have it on my old netbook.
Old 20 July 2020, 13:52   #54
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ Links 2003 is the latest PC version and is still really good (Access software had good coders/designers).

You are right the required specs are low (for today hardware) but you don't need more to hit a ball in a hole

Some month ago (end of 2019) StingRay kindly checked if loading old PC courses on the Amiga version of the game was possible. Unfortunately the file format differ too much for something "easy" to be made.

Last edited by malko; 21 July 2020 at 01:19. Reason: typo
Old 20 July 2020, 13:57   #55
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Without the axes, it's super hard to kill the boss, and you probably lose all your lives.

There's a block that you can make go away using a key. Then you have to destroy the blocks below the axes

Game wants you to get mace from the thief near the boss door. When you have mace (power 1) you teleport back to a secret room to get increase WP and have diagonal mace to destroy the blocks easily and get the axes). But you can destroy the blocks with fireball & jumping, which has the advantage not to use increase WP full for mace but for AXES.

And to defeat the final boss, I have a method that makes me lose a few lives, but it's pretty efficient: avoid the 2 fireballs the first time. Get hit by them the second time on the middle platform, allowing to be properly positionned when the snake comes out from the end: shoot like crazy, then turn back to shoot like crazy again. Should do it. Repeat.
Thanks for the advice, mate. I haven't had time to practice the final level yet, but I hope I will do it soon.
Old 22 July 2020, 19:06   #56
manossg

Did it!

Finally defeated the buttskull using the password, so it is doable even without amassing a ridiculous amount of lives. Got there with 4 lives, killed him with one life to spare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200722_184705.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	68244   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200722_184823.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	744.7 KB
ID:	68245  
Old 22 July 2020, 19:13   #57
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Cool. Well done. And that's good news for me because if I make it to the final boss, I won't have many lives. lol

So far I've got to Level 3. Missed quite a lot of stuff though. And those traps are harsh. Still fun of course.

Old 22 July 2020, 19:32   #58
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Cool. Well done. And that's good news for me because if I make it to the final boss, I won't have many lives. lol

So far I've got to Level 3. Missed quite a lot of stuff though. And those traps are harsh. Still fun of course.

Thanks, mate. You should read carefully jotd's post, if you want to beat the final boss without using brute force, this guy is quite tough. Also, make sure you get the axes!!!

Oh, I detest this trap!
Old 23 July 2020, 13:11   #59
Biscuit
Baked Produce

My second go at Muirfield and much better if still not great. A couple of major screw ups. I even managed to forget to change my club to the putting wedge - TWICE! That was embarrassing. However, I got my first eagle. It's a very nice course.

Westchester CC = 75
Muirfield Village = 81
Total = 156

Old 23 July 2020, 16:21   #60
blade002
Zone Friend

I finished Gods in the day but haven't tried to finish it since. Will plod away before the compo ends

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200722_201409.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	858.6 KB
ID:	68263