English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 28 April 2005, 08:38   #1
EternalAmiga

What CD32 game to impress my mate?

I've just had a mate move in with me for a while and he's intrigued by my Amiga's. He's pretty keen to check them out.

I've had to pack away my A1200/030 for the time being so all I've got at the moment is my CD32.

Whats a good game to really show off the CD32? Preferably 2 players.

Does Moonstone work on the CD32? Thats the greatest 2 player game I've ever played
Old 28 April 2005, 12:29   #2
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalAmiga
I've just had a mate move in with me for a while and he's intrigued by my Amiga's. He's pretty keen to check them out.

I've had to pack away my A1200/030 for the time being so all I've got at the moment is my CD32.

Does Moonstone work on the CD32? Thats the greatest 2 player game I've ever played
I would choose Flink, Speedball 2 and Zool 2
Old 28 April 2005, 12:43   #3
robotriot
Tubby mechanical friend

Send a message via ICQ to robotriot
Technically, Flink is probably the best game on the CD32 (AB3D, Gloom and Fears are 3D, yes, but they're slooow). Speedball 2 is great fun in 2 player mode, as AMIGAZ mentioned, and I'd also add Banshee. Looks good and is cool in 2 playermode as well.
Old 28 April 2005, 12:57   #4
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Pinball Illusions
Old 28 April 2005, 13:08   #5
Ubersnug

Jetstrike, and then how could you forget Alien Breed Tower Assault followed by Roadkill!!!

Old 28 April 2005, 14:30   #6
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Flink is nice, even though it's not full-screen. The most impressive would be Fightin' Spirit, Banshee, Super Stardust, Microcosm, Shadow Fighter, or download one of the compilation CDs, either the 200 or 444 ones, the sheer amount of games should impress a bit, and there are plenty of two player games there.
Old 28 April 2005, 14:59   #7
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

What enhancements does the CD32 version of Speedball II have over the other versions?
Old 28 April 2005, 15:21   #8
robotriot
Tubby mechanical friend

Send a message via ICQ to robotriot
CD-Audio, AGA and it's missing the "ice cream" sample (which is in the floppy version of part 2, right?).
Old 28 April 2005, 17:05   #9
Amiga1992

Let's check the title again fellas... It asks for a CD32 game to IMPRESS his mate.

We don't know how your friend is, but I think it will be pretty hard to IMPRESS him with any game of the CD32 library. Flink is superb but it was the same on Megadrive. And Liberation is not WOW compared to nowadays standrds.

So I suppose it depends on your friend. I'm not gobsmacked by today's technical prowesses in a way that doesn't let me go "WOW" with an Amiga game, then again, I am not impressed by anything in the CD32 library. The machine has not been used to its full potential at all and it shows.

CD32 games I like: Roadkill, Flink, Super Stardust, Super Skidmarks, Guardian. but nothing IMPRESSIVE.
Old 28 April 2005, 17:33   #10
StarEye
Zone Friend

Well, I reckon that by "impress" he means show off some great games that makes him decide if an amiga is worth a purchase or not. I can't for the world imagine he meant to impress him with the technology the Amiga CD32 offers.
Old 28 April 2005, 17:54   #11
Turbo2Xs
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo2Xs
Yes. I would presume to him meaning playability!

While I never had a CD32, I have a A1200, So I'd say;

Super StarDust: Hard, look great (even today!)

Super Skidmarks: Great 2(+) player action

Mean Arenas

Pinball (anything): I like Dreams, but then again the Nightmare table music pwns me!
Old 28 April 2005, 17:55   #12
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat
What enhancements does the CD32 version of Speedball II have over the other versions?
the two teams are different colours insted of just gray
Old 29 April 2005, 01:42   #13
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Let's check the title again fellas... It asks for a CD32 game to IMPRESS his mate.

We don't know how your friend is, but I think it will be pretty hard to IMPRESS him with any game of the CD32 library. Flink is superb but it was the same on Megadrive. And Liberation is not WOW compared to nowadays standrds.

So I suppose it depends on your friend. I'm not gobsmacked by today's technical prowesses in a way that doesn't let me go "WOW" with an Amiga game, then again, I am not impressed by anything in the CD32 library. The machine has not been used to its full potential at all and it shows.

CD32 games I like: Roadkill, Flink, Super Stardust, Super Skidmarks, Guardian. but nothing IMPRESSIVE.
Gotta agree, if he's in to new games, the wow factor is gonna be severely lacking
Old 29 April 2005, 03:31   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo2Xs
Yes. I would presume to him meaning playability!
I assume he's a "new boy" or something, threfore don't care about this sort of thing, but "HOW DO THOZE GRAFX LOOK? OMG LOL!"

It's more probable than assuming he'll like Roadkill because the gameplay rocks.

And I don't think, again, it will convince him of investing a dear load of dosh in a machine!

And let's admit, that the CD32 and the A1200 were not pushed at all. There's SO MUCH those machines could give, and it's not shown by the games produced for them...

Would love to hear more details from the original thread poster. We need a better socio/demographical analysis of the subject
Old 29 April 2005, 06:05   #15
Mark_C

So is your mate still patiently waiting while we're choosing games? ;-)

Microcosm is one, but once he realises how poor the gameplay is, move on to Roadkill, Super Stardust and Super Skidmarks. I bet you'll he'll guffaw at the title "Skidmarks".

And make sure you crank up the volume on Roadkill, and demonstate to him Super Jackpot to show how cool it is. ;-)
Old 29 April 2005, 09:33   #16
EternalAmiga

Thanks guys.

My mate is still waiting for me to show him the Amiga.

I don't mean to impress him so much that he will buy an Amiga, but I want to give the machine a good showing. At the moment he's intrigued by my infatuation with an old machine he remembers from our youth (vaguely).

He is not completely hung up on new hardware, at the moment he is playing Snow Bros on Mame.

@Akira

Socio/demographical Analysis:

Name: Mike
Nationality: Australian of South African heritage
Gaming Machines owned: PC, XBox, Gamecube
Favourite Games: Halo 2, Pirates! Remake (my influence ), Splinter Cell
Expectations of Amiga: Probably somewhere around Atari/Commodore 64 level

So far I have determined I will try and show him:

Flink
Super Skidmarks
Super Stardust
Roadkill (never played it, looks interesting though)
Old 29 April 2005, 10:23   #17
spiff
Oh noes!

I'd go for the beer aproach..

"We need beer, lots of beer"

The equation goes something like

(NrOfBeers*NrOfPlayers + ScreenSize*StereoVolume) /
(LoadFactor*BrokenHardware) = playFun

Where LoadFactor is how much loading times interrupt the gameplay, and has nothing to do with hashtables.. no not that hash either

There may be an added girlie factor as well, but that usally constant and can be ignored in combination with the sex factor or NrOfPuzzleBubble or NrOfMagicalDrop.
Old 29 April 2005, 16:37   #18
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:

Sorry EternalAmiga, I think Moonstone is crap and I wouldn't show it to anyone, let alone a friend who wants to check the Amiga CD32 out.. For 2 player-games, Speedball 2 and Alien Breed 2:Tower Assault (excellent intro) are great.

The "ice-cream" sample is not missing in CD-32, it's just written on the Cd-track(s) and is rarely heard, unlike the original Amiga game.
Old 31 August 2005, 12:30   #19
petza

moonstone

Quote:

MOONSTONE ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS MY FAV GAME TOO
Old 31 August 2005, 12:32   #20
petza

Nutz To U

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer
Sorry EternalAmiga, I think Moonstone is crap and I wouldn't show it to anyone, let alone a friend who wants to check the Amiga CD32 out.. For 2 player-games, Speedball 2 and Alien Breed 2:Tower Assault (excellent intro) are great.

The "ice-cream" sample is not missing in CD-32, it's just written on the Cd-track(s) and is rarely heard, unlike the original Amiga game.
ARE U NUTZ MOONSTONE CRAP WTF ??