English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 15 July 2001, 02:41   #1
Ian
Global Moderator

Favourite Emu News Site

Now this would have been a poll, but after Fred's dabarcle (not his fault mind) with the ever changing poll the other day I decided not to go down that route as the same thing would result with this

List you favourite, top three or whatever you wish.

Here's my two favourites in order:
  1. Emuholic
  2. Emulators Unlimited

Emuholic is miles in front as far as I'm concerned, but hey no emu site is as bad as Vintage Gaming Network that guy has had a direct hand in emulation ....... Killing them off (Final Burn anyone??)

PS. For those of you who have visited my website (7 of you yesterday .... Whoohoo) I will update it one day, promise

Last edited by Ian; 15 July 2001 at 03:47.
Old 15 July 2001, 03:26   #2
RCK
Administrator

VG-network was quite good a few years ago, when it was always the "Dave's classics".
Since the "mame roms wars" had finished, the website have lost all his rom collection, and one big "team" was set up for posting news...
But we have lost the original spirit (remember the green & black website with hundred of space invader alien )
I really liked this website at his golden age, when only Dave was building it.

By the way, did you know that Dave is a great amiga fanatic ?

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 19 October 2001 at 02:34.
Old 15 July 2001, 20:08   #3
Amiga1992

I liked Davesclassics when it ws grayish , not the green reincarnation. Talked a few times with him at IRC...

Anyway, my fave was Emu news Service, and when it went down i was so lost :P I ended up reading retrogames daily, but since now I'm quite fed up with emulation, I'm reading nothing. if anything interesting happens one of my mates will let me know about it
Old 16 July 2001, 07:58   #4
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Retrogames is my current homepage (as it has been for about two years now) simply because it supplys emu news fast. However, the politics involved between the "big" three emusites always leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth (The three being Retrogames, VG-N, and the laughable Emu-Christ).

First, a word on VG-N... Dave's Classics in its heyday was essential reading for any emuenthusiast. Somewhere along the line, I believe someone showed Dave the business model of making money on pop-ups and online ads... which, IMNSHO, turned Dave's Classics into Dave's Cesspool. On his emulator download section, he had a .WAV play every time a link was clicked from a Smashing Pumpkins song... "The World is a Vampire..." (I can only assume this was intended to not-so-subtly tell his visitors that they were leeches. I discussed this with him not too long ago, and he denies ever having the .WAV but I remember it vividly because it made me jump out of my skin at 3:00 A.M.) Dave, Tuxedo Mask, and I have exchanged not-so-pleasant thoughts in the past, and he told me not to visit anymore if I didn't like what he was doing with his site (Except he littered that phrase with obscenities and called me something that rhymed with "basshole".

Dave's Classics/Vintage Gaming was a great old site because it was run by a hobbiest with a love for what he was doing... The VG-N is a pottyhole because it is run by a businessman who holds his visitors in contempt. Okay, enough about poor ol' Dave...

Emuchrist should be on everyones "don't bother to visit" list... Lacking any content, they seem to occupy themselves by waging a perpetual war against Retrogames. Their act gets old fast.

Lastly, Retrogames... Content wise, it really hasn't changed, but for some reason it doesn't "feel" right any more... Maybe because everything I ever wanted emulated is now emulated, and I just don't care about another release of Nester? I am with Akira in that I am also 'fed up', but nothing else is worth checking daily on the Internet (for me, anyway) so I skim the front news section of RG just in case something late and great arrives... It rarely does. The siteOp of RG seems to be a kind and forgiving guy (to a fault) and he takes a lot of heat and abuse from his detractors for whatever reason(s). I still think RG is the best and fastest when it comes to news. (If anyone can introduce me to a better site, I'd love to see it!)
Old 04 September 2001, 17:14   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

**UPDATE**

www.VG-Network.com have given way to the immense pressure put on them and have reverted back to the classic design discussed above.

All together ..... YAY!!!
Old 04 September 2001, 19:09   #6
oldpx

@apfelon

Check this link for an interview with the webmaster of retrogames and some other emulation stuff.It is in Turkish so I'll translate the important parts.(And yes pc magazine gives direct urls to emulation sites ! (check the end of the page))

http://www.pcmagazine.com.tr/dergi/ekim2000/13.htm

Here the webmaster of retrogames says exactly this:
"The attention of people towards emulation is decreasing day by day since some claim their favourite system is emulated and some others say everything that could be emulated is emulated but I think there are quite a lot systems that need to be emulated. Actually there's quite a lot work to do within a limited amount of time"