English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 16 July 2011, 18:15   #1
capehorn

How to play Sensible Soccer in the Super League?

There are many great games out there without scoring systems that seem to be passed over when voting for the Super League because it's hard to come up with a way to quantify who was done best.

One of the most obvious is Sensible Soccer. I would like to suggest that we use this thread to come up with a way to play this game in competition.

My suggestion is to play the preset League of Nations in Sensi 1.0, all of us playing as the same team (England, France, Switzerland or whatever, we could decided beforehead, maybe Switzerland if few people have strong feelings about them!). It's 3 minute games, 16 team league (15 games total) and we could of course sort it by Points, then goal difference, goals scored etc.

This seems like a decent idea to me as there are enough games for the quality of the competitors to show itself without it being an overlong competition. Also the fact it is a preset competition means a level playing field for all.

Of course other suggestions or comments are welcome. If we have a variety then we could have a voting thread to decide which we use.

Last edited by capehorn; 17 July 2011 at 00:50.
Old 17 July 2011, 10:42   #2
john4p
Competition Moderator

Good suggestion. But anyone should be allowed to choose the team they want to play as.
Old 17 July 2011, 11:38   #3
Graham Humphrey

Surely it's more fair if everybody plays as the same team?
Old 17 July 2011, 12:37   #4
capehorn

I suppose people were able to pick whichever characters they wanted when we played Chaos Engine, it could be entirely up to the player which team they want to play as. If they don't pick one of the strongest teams they are making it harder for themselves but it would be entirely their decision.

It does seem fairer to all play as the same team, but I would always play Chaos Engine with the Preacher as CPU for the extra health power, I know some people in the comp didn't, maybe it worked for them, maybe it didn't, but it was their choice.
Old 17 July 2011, 13:31   #5
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Surely it's more fair if everybody plays as the same team?
Why? Anyone may still use the "best" team. But if someone wants to play as an inferior team why forbid this?
Unless we'd set a very weak team as the standard. Yes, then of course everyone should play as that team...
Old 22 August 2011, 16:15   #6
capehorn

Sensi has a vote in the EAB vote thread but we still need to settled what rules we would play by.

Consensus seems to be 8 team league (7 games).

So we need to decide which teams we pick and which version of Sensi.

I suggest Sensi 1.0 as it was mentioned in the thread earlier and no-one had any issue with it. The small number of teams in Sensi 1.0 will also make solving the second problem easier?

Which 8 teams do we pick? Obviously at the least the seven opposition teams need to be the same, and we might allow the player to choose their own team. I think it should be the 7 strongest teams in the game but having played the league a few times and different teams kept finishing in the top 7 slots! Can we come to consensus who the strongest teams in the game are?

Alternatively, and this is just a thought, we could go for Sensi 96/97 and pick the 7 teams who finished in the top 7 spots in the Premier League that season. That would be

Man Utd
Newcastle
Arsenal
Liverpool
Aston Villa
Chelsea
Sheffield Wednesday.

I think ranking is pretty easy to decide. Points, then goal difference, then goals scored then win record. I don't think we'll bother with drawing of lots! If two players tie then the will tie in the rankings.

Can we come to a decision on these issues?

(Lemon Topic: http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9163 )

Last edited by capehorn; 22 August 2011 at 16:30.
Old 22 August 2011, 19:49   #7
Graham Humphrey

Yes, this really does need sorting out. Sorry, should have got on this sooner.

If we were to go for the original Sensi I'd actually prefer 1.1 over the original simply because it's a slightly better game than the original (yellow/red cards and all that). But ultimately I suppose the difference is pretty small so I'm not too bothered.

I like your idea regarding SWOS 96/97... would you then let the player choose their own team from anybody? Or maybe would it be better to have the team that finished eighth that season and the player picks the team they want to play as out of those eight?
Old 22 August 2011, 21:35   #8
capehorn

Personally I am leaning towards letting the player choose their team, but it's not something I feel particularly strongly about.

I'm liking the 96/97 idea the more I think about it. It's my favourite version of the game and I don't think the team choice will be controversial.

Last edited by capehorn; 22 August 2011 at 21:41.
Old 22 August 2011, 23:42   #9
Graham Humphrey

I'm happy to go with that subject to any serious objections from anybody.

Of course, given that there's so many different versions of the game that gameplay-wise are very similar, I think we'll count any votes for Sensible Soccer as SWOS 96/97 and say that it all counts as the same game in this instance.