English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 March 2012, 11:55   #1
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Micromys V4 featuring auto-detect

Micromys V4 is here, and it comes with a world's first: Auto-detect of the computer that it's connected to. While Micromys V3 was configured using two DIP-switches, the new V4 version eliminates these switches and makes the adapter a lot more user-friendly.

There are five modes of operation:
  1. Amiga wheel mode:
    Just plug in and switch on. Device will auto-detect that it's connected to an Amiga and switch to 2-button mode with wheel support. Wheel and middle-mouse button can be activated with the driver from www.micromys.de
  2. Amiga 3-button mode without drivers:
    User keeps middle mouse button (or wheel) pressed while switching the Amiga on. This mode stays active until the next power cycle. A machine reset does not alter the mode of operation - only a power-cycle does.
  3. Atari ST/STe/Falcon:
    Just plug in and switch on. Micromys will auto-detect that it's connected to an Atari and switch to that mode. Micromys will stay in Atari-mode until the next power-cycle.
  4. C64 or C128 in joystick port 1:
    This is the usual port for a 1351 mouse. Most programs use it for the proportional mouse, because the GEOS operating system expects the mouse there. If Micromys V4 is plugged into port 1, it detects the machine and switches to 1351 mode. Should the user hold down the right mouse button during power-up, the unit goes to joystick emulation mode, just like the real 1351 mouse would do.
  5. C64 or C128 in joystick port 2:
    This is a rather unusual port for a proportional mouse. However, the popular music programs MSSIAH and Prophet64 use the mouse in that port, so it must be covered. If the user wants to use joystick port 2, then Micromys must be attached to port 2 after power-up and after the program has been started. The program must be set to use the mouse, and then the adapter can be attached to port 2. Since auto-detect in port 2 is highly depending on software (thus may not always work), Micromys V4 can be configured to be C64-only by removing the auto-detect jumper inside the case. Once the jumper is removed, the auto-detect sequence is bypassed and the unit will work in C64-only mode on any port of any computer. This will also let you use the joystick emulation mode on other computers than the C64.

Micromys V4 comes with a new, longer cable, which improves usability for Atari users, where the mouse connector is located underneath the keyboard. The "dongle design" is a drastic improvement over competitor's solutions, where the use of PS2->USB adapters creates a long lever that can put a lot of mechanical stress on the computer's mouse port.

The new, smaller case allows much cheaper shipping methods, reducing the overall cost for the user. There are two target machines with space constraints around the mouse port: Amiga 600 and C128 require an adapter (or extension cable) with a smaller plug, or mechanical modification of the Micromys DB9 connector.

Last edited by Schoenfeld; 21 April 2012 at 12:13. Reason: Removed disclaimer for possible Atari problem - recognition is now field-proven.
Old 28 March 2012, 14:21   #2
Jope
-

Hmm, auto detect, eh.. I wonder what's so different in port 1.

If only I could be bothered to dig out a C-64. The multimeter is already on the table beside me. :-)
Old 28 March 2012, 14:37   #3
wilshy

Damn, just bought a v3 and having problems with MSSIAH working with it.
Old 28 March 2012, 14:41   #4
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
Damn, just bought a v3 and having problems with MSSIAH working with it.
V3 is actually better-suited for MSSIAH, as it can be set to C64-mode with the DIP switches (no need to open the case). There are hundreds of Prophet64/MSSIAH users who use Micromys V3. However, it may not be obvious as to what setting you need to choose from the options of the program. Please consult the manual of MSSIAH for that.

Jens
Old 29 March 2012, 08:48   #5
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Hmm, auto detect, eh.. I wonder what's so different in port 1.

If only I could be bothered to dig out a C-64. The multimeter is already on the table beside me. :-)
They're discussing that same topic over at a1k.org, but I won't reveal company secrets just like that. However, there's some interesting ideas already :-)

Jens
Old 21 April 2012, 04:06   #6
UncleSpam

Jens,

I just ordered the Indivision AGA MKII for the A1200 and the Micromys V3, both of which are on backorder at AmigaKit. Do you think I will get the V3 or the V4 of the device?
Old 21 April 2012, 12:05   #7
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I'm not delivering Micromys V3 any more - the units that are left here are just for possible warranty cases. If AmigaKit has V3 on backorder, they will most probably send you V4. However, I can't tell for sure - only AmigaKit can do that.

Jens
Old 22 April 2012, 01:28   #8
UncleSpam

That sounds fine. I'd rather receive the v4 version of the product.

I opened a support ticket with AmigaKit on that topic.

Thanks Jens.
Old 21 March 2014, 10:26   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hi:
I just want to talk about this product that I recently bought at AmigaKit.

It's superb . You plug it in and the mice moves smoothly. Later just installing the drivers and rebooting you've got scroll with the mice wheel. It's true that AmiKit Real is already configured with FreeWheel, so I've made nothing to have the scroll working appart of the Micromys drivers.

I think this product has very few publicity (Jen isn't posting here daily links to Ebay like others do, and the last post here was 2 years ago).

Conclusion: Marvellous device that I recommend.

Last edited by Retrofan; 21 March 2014 at 11:04.
Old 21 March 2014, 11:01   #10
amigakit.com

@Retrofan

Many thanks for your order