English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 April 2017, 05:58   #1
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

VirusZ

When using VirusZ under FS-UAE, what is the best way to scan the entire floppy disk including any bootblocks "Check sectors" and select the disk (DF0) or "Check Files" and select "All" ?

ALso does VirusZ check .lha or do u have to lha x to extract them all first to scan files? (if i do, to scan them, then it its gonna take time, since i wish to scan all .lha files i have ?

all required and optional library files are in LIBS (dir) of hard drive.

I'm guessing any Bootbocks on floppy are "standard" and some may a virus even though its probably not one, however would the only way to delete these (work on backup floppy only) and see "trial and error"

Basically, what i'm wondering is how can u tell otherwise? (The idea here is to save time, not make spend more time)

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 18 April 2017 at 06:03.
Old 13 January 2018, 18:01   #2
Sinphaltimus

Not one response?

I searched topics because I want to know how to clean a virus out using VirusZ. while VirusZ is running, I load an ADF and Virus Z pops up saying the boot sector of the floppy is infected. But gives no indication of cleaning it or any options to do so.

So how does one actually clean out a virus infection using VirusZ?
Old 13 January 2018, 18:29   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

I think you use the Bootblock Lab to check the boot block on a disk and to save/write back a bootblock from a 'good' disk if it's infected. If it's a custom bootblock then you'll have to get a bootblock from a known working copy to save/write back!
Old 13 January 2018, 20:11   #4
Sinphaltimus

Thanks Barry, I've been trying to figure that part out by reading the docs. I formatted a clean floppy and saved the boot block from that but when I applied it to the infected disk, virusz now tells me the bootblock is of unknown type and the disk is NDOS.

I'll give it another go and try copying the bootblock off the WB3.1 boot disk and saving that to clean future disks. I have no other floppy bootblocks that I know of that I could use for such a task.

I'm basically going through the BAmiga archives and cleaning them up so I can safely check out the contents. I tried to do this in emulation but vrusz crashes in wb31 winuae. I saw another thread about that particular problem and I don't get it so I figured I'd do this on my real miggy.
Old 13 January 2018, 20:32   #5
daxb

To write a standard DOS bootblock on a floppy you can use the Install command "Install DF0:" for example. If the floppy has a custom bootblock like Barry wrote you are lost if you don't have a clean copy. I know there exists tools that can write/read different bootblocks but I don't know if it would help you.
Old 13 January 2018, 21:21   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

is there still viruses on the amiga? seriously?
Old 13 January 2018, 21:27   #7
Nosferax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
is there still viruses on the amiga? seriously?
Sadly yes. The Tosec archive for example, also includes disks with virus. And when buying used games you never know...
Old 14 January 2018, 00:04   #8
BarryB
Amigaholic

Hmmm... Wonder if this thread will help: Amiga Bootblock Reader v2
Old 14 January 2018, 01:18   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Thanks Barry, I've been trying to figure that part out by reading the docs. I formatted a clean floppy and saved the boot block from that but when I applied it to the infected disk, virusz now tells me the bootblock is of unknown type and the disk is NDOS.
Sinphaltimus, try with the floppy that I have attached, the floppy contains a number of tools including one to copy its boot block (F4).
You can install this boot block on all DOS diskettes, the boot block detects and cleans the infected RAM (F7).

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 January 2018 at 14:18.
Old 14 January 2018, 02:21   #10
Sinphaltimus

Thanks Amiga system - This is mainly to check out the BAmiga Sector One collection being archived and posted here - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90126