English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 February 2018, 23:19   #1
LeftyFPB

Monitor blanks when dragging files

I dug out my 1200 the other day. After installing a CF card, I was rearranging some files and directories. Whenever I dragged any icon, the monitor would go blank, as if the video shut off.

I shut down, relocated the card so it wasn’t resting on the Indivision and rebooted. Same thing... no video going to the monitor when dragging. I put my hard drive back in, and that took care of the dragging problem.

The back of the card is insulated, and in the second test wasn’t even touching the Indivision. So I’m wondering why only dragging files would cause the video interrupts.
Old 17 February 2018, 23:47   #2
robinsonb5

Does it happen if you just click and hold the mouse on an empty part of the desktop, or if you drag a select box around some files?

I'm wondering if it's a power-supply or capacitor issue.
Old 18 February 2018, 06:01   #3
LeftyFPB

No. If I drag-select a bunch of icons, or if I drag a window around the screen, everything's fine. So is clicking and holding. It's only when I drag an icon that the screen blanks. And it's only when I boot off of the CF card. When I boot off the hard drive, everything works as it should.

At first, I thought I may have slightly unseated the Indivision while swapping the drive with the card. I made sure that it was seated firmly, but the icon drag still blanked the monitor when booted off the card.

The only thing I can think of is that a driver's missing from the card, or there's a software conflict.
Old 18 February 2018, 08:55   #4
ajk

So does the screen blank out while you are holding and moving the icon, or after you have dropped it into its new location? If you drag let's say the Ram Disk icon around on the workbench from one location to another, is this enough to blank the screen? What if you copy a large file from one partition to another using the command line?

Just trying to rule out here whether it's actually the icon dragging that's causing the blackouts, or hard drive activity when copying or moving files.
Old 19 February 2018, 18:45   #5
LeftyFPB

The blackouts happen during the drag. Simply clicking the icon has no effect on the display. Copying in the command line has no effect.

More experimentation led to this: If I drag an icon approximately 12-16 pixels in any direction, the screen starts shaking. Once the drag distance gets close to about 50 pixels, the blackouts start happening. And the screen stays blacked out for about 1-2 seconds.
Old 19 February 2018, 19:01   #6
Daedalus

Very strange... What OS version are you using? What patches are installed? What version of icon.library do you have? Try booting from cold without the startup-sequence, type LoadWB and press enter, and see if the same effect occurs.
Old 19 February 2018, 21:12   #7
PeterK

Just in case that my icon.library 46.4 is installed you could try out the commands "InvertGhostingMask", "IconGhostingOff" and "NoDelayedImage2" from the /C drawer in my Aminet package.

But I can not imagine yet why icon.library should cause a blank screen. Usually, it's only possible that an icon disappears while dragging it around, and that can be fixed with "InvertGhostingMask".
Old 19 February 2018, 21:21   #8
ajk

It is a truly bizarre problem; I would also suggest booting a very plain system and seeing if it happens then as well.
Old 20 February 2018, 16:37   #9
Codetsu

Boot up by floppy and see what happen