English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 03 September 2019, 21:42   #41
Dunny

We have FreeSat/FreeView here - with both standard and HD channels (oodles of them, too).

What really boils my piss is when you go to the cinema, pay shitloads for tickets and then have to sit through half an hour of ads before you even get to the trailers.
Old 03 September 2019, 21:53   #42
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Are you sure you can opt not to pay for it? I remember someone getting in trouble for not paying for 'free tv'.
I remember that thread! He didn't pay the TV taxes (Rundfunkgebühr), an additional 17,50€ per month.

So, when you have antenna, you pay 17,50€ taxes per month and 5,75€ Hd Freenet costs per month. And additionally you watch ads.

You can opt to not watch private TV stations. Then you don't have to pay the 5,75€ Freenet. Nice and complicated!

I have satellite, so at the moment, I watch state-run TV stations in HD and private stations in SD. When they shut down SD for private stations, I don't know what I will opt for.

The state-run TV also has ads. Taxes are not enough to produce Volksmusik broadcasts with.
Old 03 September 2019, 22:07   #43
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
We have FreeSat/FreeView here - with both standard and HD channels (oodles of them, too).

What really boils my piss is when you go to the cinema, pay shitloads for tickets and then have to sit through half an hour of ads before you even get to the trailers.
Seems to me you get way to early to cinema. That is why one I visit now has bar and they serve food & drinks in theater as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
I remember that thread! He didn't pay the TV taxes (Rundfunkgebühr), an additional 17,50€ per month.

So, when you have antenna, you pay 17,50€ taxes per month and 5,75€ Hd Freenet costs per month. And additionally you watch ads.

You can opt to not watch private TV stations. Then you don't have to pay the 5,75€ Freenet. Nice and complicated!

I have satellite, so at the moment, I watch state-run TV stations in HD and private stations in SD. When they shut down SD for private stations, I don't know what I will opt for.

The state-run TV also has ads. Taxes are not enough to produce Volksmusik broadcasts with.
We have public broadcast here, with only local channels. They almost shutdown services because of some internet service years back, but since they won , they continue with broadcast, which is btw only HD. (so you're screwed if you have older TV)

Does anyone listen to radio anymore? Any commercials there?
Old 05 September 2019, 10:49   #44
Hewitson

Wow, I had no idea that my post had been turned into another thread, so sorry for not posting sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
Does anyone listen to radio anymore? Any commercials there?
I listen to the radio all the time at work. I'd have to say that the amount of advertising has gone down a LOT, and it's now very common for several songs to be played in a row.

I remember years ago, you could go for a 30 minute drive without hearing a single song. Things have improved big time.

Unfortunately, the TV situation in this country is still as bad as it ever was. Even if you pay for Foxtel (~$100 pm) you get at least as many ads as Free to Air, if not more.
Old 05 September 2019, 11:12   #45
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Wow, I had no idea that my post had been turned into another thread, so sorry for not posting sooner.

I listen to the radio all the time at work. I'd have to say that the amount of advertising has gone down a LOT, and it's now very common for several songs to be played in a row.

I remember years ago, you could go for a 30 minute drive without hearing a single song. Things have improved big time.

Unfortunately, the TV situation in this country is still as bad as it ever was. Even if you pay for Foxtel (~$100 pm) you get at least as many ads as Free to Air, if not more.
Mate you are not wrong.

It's one of the few things I can't help but still compare "but back in England....." after moving out here in 2002.

But to this day, the ads on Australian TV is out of control.

If a movie starts in the evening, and i fancy watching it, I'll grab the DVD or stream via netflix and I can watch the SAME movie in half the time.

So..."in the UK......"

Take a normal 30 minute program for example.

UK:
  1. Adverts BEFORE the program
  2. Program first half
  3. Adverts in the middle
  4. Program second half AND end credits
  5. Adverts AFTER the program, and prior to the next.

Rinse and repeat.

Here in Australia.....hell I dont know when one show starts or finshes...but let's try and map it out.....
  1. End of preceding program, and super-fast credits, and straight into the next program.
  2. About 2 minutes in....Adverts
  3. More program
  4. More adverts
  5. More program
  6. Now that we've got you hooked, have a TON of adverts
  7. Last 30 seconds of program, Superfast credits, and straight into the next show

Rinse and repeat.

And on a movie, those last advert sectins get longer and longer and more and more frequent the closer to the end of the movie you are, until the movie you started watching at 8:15pm, is fkn still going until gone 11:00pm, and guess what?.....
.......another SHED load of adverts before you get to watch the end scene...or closing sentence, or punch line maybe.

And they wonder why no one watches.
Old 06 September 2019, 17:46   #46
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Here is PI Hole Admin site dashboard, with number of blocked sites. Default is few thousands, but if you go crazy like someone here, it can go easy over mil.

Old 07 September 2019, 08:35   #47
Hewitson

Why bother. Just subscribe to Youtube Premium and avoid sites which contain ads.

I use no ad blocking software whatsoever, and very rarely see ads in my browser unless I'm trying to find something dodgy, in which case you're better off with Tor anyway.
Old 08 September 2019, 12:35   #48
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Here is PI Hole Admin site dashboard, with number of blocked sites. Default is few thousands, but if you go crazy like someone here, it can go easy over mil.

Thanks for teasing, I just bought a Raspberry Pi 4B WiFi 4GB complete set (with a case, fan, power adaptor, microhdmi to hdmi cable, 16gb sd card, ethernet) just for that.
Also found this sexy plugin: https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comm...rry_pi_pihole/
Old 08 September 2019, 13:58   #49
daxb

A RPi 4 B only for pihole?! It is a bit overpowered for this task. A RPi Zero could do the same with much less power consumption. Use the RPi 4 B for something other.
Old 08 September 2019, 14:52   #50
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I like to play with top-of-the-line toys that I can afford. ¯\_(;/)_/¯

Until Pi-hole I couldn't find any usage for it in my home to be honest, it's either greatly underpowered (emulation) or way too complicated and time consuming to setup compared to pre-build solutions (weather station, home security, Ambilight TV).
Old 08 September 2019, 18:10   #51
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Why bother. Just subscribe to Youtube Premium and avoid sites which contain ads.

I use no ad blocking software whatsoever, and very rarely see ads in my browser unless I'm trying to find something dodgy, in which case you're better off with Tor anyway.
I already mentioned on other topic - this was little home networking and security project - Use of Ubiquity firewall, router, PoE switch and small business version of access point. It's all fun and educational and does not cost you a hand. On old network I don't remember every updating AP or router, and here I do it frequently and each update improves something or adds new feature.

This is some sort of stuff I did with my setup:

[ Show youtube player ]

@Shoonay - RPi4 with 4GB might be bit overkill for this, but you can use it for much more than just PiHole. I installed all of this on regular (not plus model) RPi3 and as you can see from screenshot, everything works and just about 50% of memory used, while CPU is always well utilized. Make sure you order good SD micro card, as that will be your bottleneck.
Old 11 September 2019, 16:34   #52
Shoonay
Global Caturator

It's alive... but sleepy

Old 11 September 2019, 18:06   #53
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Nice, look at that memory utilization.

Did you test it and did you make changes to your router/DHCP to use RPi IP address as DNS search?
Old 11 September 2019, 18:40   #54
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yeah, changed my main router's DNS (9.9.9.9) to that of Pi-hole (192.168.10.10) but it seemed to not work and pooped-out dozens of DNS errors in the syslog, until a friend linked me a solution for OpenWRT: I had to uncheck Rebind Protection.

Added a few more filters and put it on my main routers fan that pulls the hot air out of it and the temps are slightly better.
Old 11 September 2019, 19:51   #55
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Some of those lists that block sites I had to remove when I tried to sign in with xbox one. They blocked all M$ crap. (never had same issues with Sony PS. )

Looks nice.

Not sure how many clients you have on home network, I have over 20 connected devices, including consoles, alexa, smart tv and RPi/NVidia Shield.
Old 12 September 2019, 16:32   #56
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Not sure how many clients you have on home network, I have over 20 connected devices, including consoles, alexa, smart tv and RPi/NVidia Shield.
Not many, only around 12 or so.

Yeah it sucks I can't see individual clients and where do they connect, these lovely statistics really bring me back to when I was using Gargoyle on my main router, if only it had a better adblocker... oh well, can't have everything.

Maybe I'll change everythign and let Pi-hole manage my DHCP leases, but first I got to find how reliable this setup is.
Old 12 September 2019, 19:29   #57
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I've setup Pi-hole as my main DHCP server, turned off DHCP on my main OpenWRT/LuCi router and after a hard reboot of my home network everything is up and running fine:

Although it irritates me that my main router is seen as the Top Client, which is logical since all request are going through it...

... BUT it would be better to see only the individual statistics, is there a way to configure it like that?
Old 13 September 2019, 18:57   #58
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Okay, I think I did it. And added a few more filters

Check out those lovely stats!

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comm...ts_for_pihole/
https://github.com/MajkiIT/polish-ad...pihole-filters
https://www.tranzystor.pl/artykuly-i...ry-reklam.html

First time I saw my Pi4's Load go up to 3.x after adding this and waited ~3 minutes, be aware this might take *MUCH* longer on previous Pi versions, someone in the comments says around 30 minutes... haha, still think a Pi4 is overpowered for this?

PS: don't worry about duplicates, Pi-hole removes them, that's the reason it's taking so long.

Last edited by Shoonay; 13 September 2019 at 19:05.