English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 February 2002, 01:37   #1
oldpx

Which monitor do you use?

This should be a poll but I'm not sure what the options can be for sure.

I telephoned my ex-Amiga dealer today and asked if he still had a scandoubler for the amiga I'm planning to buy. He told me he imported only five of them ever and not selling them anymore and added that the ones he sold "were not able to display some screen modes properly" ( In fact I used this term and he said "yes" ) . He's not one of the most trustworthy people I know of but I'm somewhat stuck at this point regardless. I can't find a scandoubler and I don't want to plug a TV.

So people, could you help this guy by telling him which monitor you use with your real amigas? I'm mainly interested in VGA monitors compatible with amiga without a scandoubler.

Last edited by Burseg; 22 February 2002 at 01:52.

Old 22 February 2002, 01:58   #2
jmmijo

This is something I've not tried yet. However I've seen some modified drivers that supposedly can help get some monitors to sync up on. Not sure if they've been able to hack the monitor drivers or not but this seems to be the case. I think I saw them on Aminet, I've been wanting to try this out as well as I have a really nice monitor connected to the PC next to the Amiga
Old 22 February 2002, 03:29   #3
Amiga1992

The only monitor I know of that is not Commodore brand, is the old Nec Multisync 3D.... one GREAT monitor, you will be able to use it with many machines.

Then you have the Commodore multisyncs, like the 1942 (correct me if I'm confusing the names)...

I do not know of others, but Id like to know. I love using Productivity mode on my 17 incher.
Old 22 February 2002, 14:24   #4
oldpx

These are the frequency rates of my Sony G400:

Horizontal: 30 to 107 kHz
Vertical: 48 to 120 kHz

In the manual it also says it has 1800 by 1440 dots but I can use resolutions higher than that so maybe the manual doesn't want owners to force the limitations of the monitor. Assuming that I can use this monitor with the Amiga, now what kind of cable do I need and from which port can I connect it to the Amiga?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Burseg; 22 February 2002 at 14:57.

Old 22 February 2002, 14:50   #5
utri007
mä vaan

You can use it with amiga (I ques)

Major problem is that amiga's vga out put is less than 30mhz, usually monitors can display it

You connect it in amiga video port, but you need adapter.

1. Put dbpal to workbench:devs/monitors and double click it
2. in pref choose screen mode and change it to dbpal
3. if you are using you amiga vith scart and video monitor, picture should disabear turn monitor off

4. connect your Sony to Amiga and....

SVGA monitor with Amiga is not usable if you cant use a TV as a second monitor

I haven't heard bad word of scandoublers, get one
Old 22 February 2002, 15:00   #6
utri007
mä vaan

Amiga friendly monitors can found here

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/
Old 22 February 2002, 15:01   #7
oldpx

Quote:
4. connect your Sony to Amiga and....
and BOOOOOM!!
only joking

Is this adapter, just a cable or a specific piece of hardware? I'll try to get a scandoubler if I encounter any.

edit: Oh right I should have checked that site earlier! Thanks.

Old 22 February 2002, 17:04   #8
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
I use my a1200 with a Microvitec M1438S, which is a multisync stereo monitor that can display all amiga modes (from PAL to DBLPAL) and i'm very happy of it (having paid only 30€ ).
Old 22 February 2002, 22:21   #9
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Scandoubler

I haven't bought one myself, but I am planning to (kids, wife mortgage etc willing!) and if you are happy to import one from the UK, Burseg, take a look here. http://www.eyetech.co.uk/ - they have loads of Amiga stuff...
Old 22 February 2002, 22:33   #10
oldpx

Eventually I'll go for it if I have no luck finding it locally. Thanks for the link.

Old 23 February 2002, 01:48   #11
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

If you want to have a monitor which you can use for both the PC and the Amiga without a scandoubler then you have to look out for a multisync monitor ( multisync - not multiscan ! )

As Akira wrote, the NEC Multisync 3D is the easiest to get since it was one of the best monitors of it's time and quite common.
Other multisyncs I know are the COmmodore 1942 and 1960, but I'm sure there exist lots more.
The important thing is that the monitor has to be able to sync down to 15KHz, which normal VGA monitors cannot do. They start at 31KHz, and therefore also your PC monitor will not work with the Amiga.
Old 23 February 2002, 02:02   #12
oldpx

there isn't a way to test if it can sync down to 15kHz, is there? A little utility maybe . Mine is a multiscan monitor and I know it's not the same thing, there may be hope though.

Old 23 February 2002, 13:31   #13
enigma

Smile

Nokia 449Xa Plus
(I have it 5 years and it broke-down once!, before 2 years)

Old 23 February 2002, 13:56   #14
oldpx

Really? It's a quality monitor. Did you use it with Amiga? I know it's horizontal scan is 30-70 kHz which is lower than mine.

Old 23 February 2002, 23:29   #15
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

I don't think there is a way to find out the sync specs by software.
But I am also not sure if just trying it is a good way, because I have heard that monitors can be damaged by using them with signals out of their sync area.
But could be possible that this is only dangerous when operating them above their sync area and not below ?

I suggest you search the web for your exact type of monitor. I'm sure you will find some info about it's specs. Try e.g. www.monitorworld.com
Old 24 February 2002, 00:15   #16
oldpx

Mine is not listed there but after a little research, I'm convinced it's minimum horizontal scan value is 30kHz. Dangerous it may be, but I will try to connect it. With inappropriate refresh rate/screen mode combinations, it shuts itself down and displays an error message so I believe it will be smart to protect itself.

Old 24 February 2002, 00:17   #17
jmmijo

This is what should happen, but sometimes a monitor may try to display an incompatible mode. Let us know what happens, thanks
Old 25 February 2002, 01:41   #18
oldpx

is this the cable I need? I don't remember how Amiga's monitor port looked like.

edit: was it 23 pin as shown here?:

http://invalid.ed.ntnu.no/~kamben/hw...migaScart.html

Old 25 February 2002, 04:58   #19
jmmijo

On the Amiga side of the cable, yes this is the correct one. As for the SCART side, I vaguely remember them. As for most Amiga/CBM monitors they had either a 9-pin DIN round connector or a standard DB9 connector. I believe I have both kinds in my collection.
Old 25 February 2002, 18:03   #20
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

I built an adapter myself to connect the NEC multisync 3D to the Amiga.
You will need a 23-pin female connector on the Amiga side an a 15-pin male connector on the VGA monitor side ( some monitors have a 9-pin connector )
I don't have the pinouts by hand now, bu you will have to connect the following signals:
R, G, B, H-sync, V-sync, ground
I connected all ground signals on the 23-pin Amiga connector together just to be sure.
I'm sure you can find the pinouts on the net. I think I searched for 'Amiga monitor pinout' and 'vga monitor pinout' or something like this.
But be sure you look at it from the right side and don't solder the cables mirrorwise !