English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 27 September 2019, 14:37   #81
demon-knight
Blitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I have a rough layout pretty well done, it is a case of whether Mike has the time to do the necessary changes for the 32 bit machines. ATM i class it as a maybe.

Ah that would be awesome I hope he can find time!
Old 28 September 2019, 21:39   #82
theDodger

Will you be selling these in the UK?

My rom switcher (keyboard reset) expired and took a new 3.1 is rom with it. So your romulator and co-pro board is really needed for my A2000 ?

Quote:
Hi,

I have designed an A2000 CoPro adapter board. It allows you to place both the CPU and the romulator on the CoPro slot so that it is not interfering with the megachip or any other addons that you may have. It will obviously allow other boards to be placed on the adapter . Amigaonthelake should have these ~5th Oct (this year
Old 29 September 2019, 04:31   #83
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
New - Amiga Romulator for A500 - A600

Interested in 2x 16 bits ones immediately and 2x 32 bits ones as soon as available.
If you can change the PCB colour to blue or red, even better!
Amazing work!!

Last edited by seb132; 29 September 2019 at 06:34.
Old 29 September 2019, 06:03   #84
Daishi

I already have a Kipper2K Keyboard for my A1200 ordered, and if this is available for the A1200 I will be getting this also. At this rate why don't I just give him access to my paypal account.
Now hurry up I want to get this ordered ;-)
Old 29 September 2019, 07:58   #85
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
Forgot to mention a HUGE interest for an A1000 version.
You really rock, kipper! Always fantastic stuff coming out of you and your team.
Old 29 September 2019, 10:54   #86
theDodger

Can't wait for this awesome project to go live.

I've just watched The 10 Miinute Amiga RetroCast, is it right the only place to purchase the Romulator is @ AOTL?

Last edited by theDodger; 29 September 2019 at 11:02.
Old 29 September 2019, 15:58   #87
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

OK - The new video is up for my 10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast channel on the Romulator!

This week on 10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast, I am introducing a brand new product to the Amiga Community! The ROMulator from Kipper2K and Amiga on the Lake will allow you to use almost any Kickstart ROM, including the DiagROM from John "Chucky" Hertell from any Amiga 500, 2000 or 600! Any Kickstart from 1.0 - 3.1.4 including custom ROM's up to 1 MB in size can be stored on an internal SD card and booted from at startup! Please check out this awesome new product available this week from Amiga on the lake!
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 September 2019, 16:07   #88
OldAmigan
Professional old fart!

I'd be very interested in a 32 bit version, too
Old 29 September 2019, 17:51   #89
Acill
Tech Guru

Very nice work! This will come in very handy for those of us that do installs and hardware repairs too! Looking forward to picking a few up.
Old 29 September 2019, 20:03   #90
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_Computi View Post
OK - The new video is up for my 10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast channel on the Romulator!

This week on 10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast, I am introducing a brand new product to the Amiga Community! The ROMulator from Kipper2K and Amiga on the Lake will allow you to use almost any Kickstart ROM, including the DiagROM from John "Chucky" Hertell from any Amiga 500, 2000 or 600! Any Kickstart from 1.0 - 3.1.4 including custom ROM's up to 1 MB in size can be stored on an internal SD card and booted from at startup! Please check out this awesome new product available this week from Amiga on the lake!
[ Show youtube player ]
Awesome video Douglas, Thanks very much, as stated there is lots of things that can be explored especially in the area of OS development. I think this is very beneficial to the AROS developers and being able to manipulate libraries inside a Custom ROM image. and even like mentioned placing small games inside a custom ROM (Granted this would be more beneficial with a 2MB RAM version we are exploring .

I will work with AOTL and see about creating a competition for a custom ROM image that could be created for the A500/A600 16 bit image that can load a custom ROM that can contain the ROM file and also a few small games that can be accessed from the rom by keypress combo etc. The ROM could be up to 1MB in size so i think some of the old style arcade games from the Freddie fish catalogue or other games etc could be used via a menu system. I would offer a Romulator to the first person to allow us to do this. (running from the ROM). The person would need to do a small howto on how to "glue it all together" so other people can learn and expand a user library so to speak

Last edited by kipper2k; 29 September 2019 at 20:17.
Old 30 September 2019, 14:44   #91
Tekk

I would be interested in a 32bit version for my 1200 and 4000. Depends on the pricing as well. And is it possible to select a prefered ROM that instaboots and that there is a key selection that brings you into the menu? I don't wont to select the prefered ROM by hand so to speak

Nice job btw. Excellent idea and product!
Old 01 October 2019, 01:05   #92
JanHolbo

Quote:
1 added bonus that makes me happy is what i am showing in the video. I can cycle through the games on the Gotek in the Romulator menu screen, see the listing easily and then once i have selected the game i want i can select the ROM i need to play the game
Is the Gotek and Romulator working like this independantly or are they connected somehow? Would it be possible in a future FW to setup "sets" ie a certain rom with a certain number of floppiy ADF files?

Also the possibility to add libraries and other code to current ROMs i.e. workbench.library, icon.library, etc to WB 3.1 and 3.1.4 is something worth having.

An additional idea could be to analyse which parts of the Kickstart a 1 floppy game or demo uses and then fuse the needed ROM parts with the floppy contents and thus effectively create an instant-on "cartridge"-mode.

I currently do not see the Romulator for sale on http://amigaonthelake.com - I guess it will be up soon. Will there be any European suppliers at some point?

Oh and I am interested in a A500 version. Would the 2 MB version work with a rev 6a A500?

Thank you so much for your hard work!

Best Regards,

Jan Rasmussen

Last edited by JanHolbo; 01 October 2019 at 01:07. Reason: Added interest :-)
Old 01 October 2019, 01:37   #93
kipper2k

Floppy disk

Hi,

the gotek is independent of the romulator. the buttons on any gotek can be controlled by any keyboard, be it my MX or an original keyboard (an original gotek will require some soldering) . it will work with an a500/600 or a1200. the MX keyboard has this function built in, the original keyboards need "a little bit of help". I am almost ready to release the boards, once i am done finalizing them i will release the boards. i redesigned my old gotek design with pin headers so it can be connected to the keyboards/adapters to enable the advanced gotek features (OSD, eject, up/down etc), no soldering needed. i notice that there is a new OSD update for the HXC core. the nice thing about the romulator and the OSD is you can easily see the listing while in the romulator menu.

AOTL have the romulators in stock and he just needs to add these to the inventory listing, supplies are limited. I am still trying to sort out a UK distributor for those that do not want to purchase from N. America.

depending on your a500 version your amiga can access 512 or 1MB ROMs the maximum an A500 can access is a 1MB ROM. the available ram on the romulator is 1MB. an a500+ can support 1MB ROM, the earlier a500s can support 1MB with a simple mod, this also applies to the A2000.

a 32bit version would have 2MB ram allowing a full 2MB ROM image

The cartridge mode for me is a great thing, it would be more practical on a 1MB/2MB ROM but even on a 1.3ks it could still have the means of setting up a rom image to allow "modules" to be attached to a basic rom to achieve cartridge mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaddu.dk View Post
Is the Gotek and Romulator working like this independantly or are they connected somehow? Would it be possible in a future FW to setup "sets" ie a certain rom with a certain number of floppiy ADF files?

Also the possibility to add libraries and other code to current ROMs i.e. workbench.library, icon.library, etc to WB 3.1 and 3.1.4 is something worth having.

An additional idea could be to analyse which parts of the Kickstart a 1 floppy game or demo uses and then fuse the needed ROM parts with the floppy contents and thus effectively create an instant-on "cartridge"-mode.

I currently do not see the Romulator for sale on http://amigaonthelake.com - I guess it will be up soon. Will there be any European suppliers at some point?

Oh and I am interested in a A500 version. Would the 2 MB version work with a rev 6a A500?

Thank you so much for your hard work!

Best Regards,

Jan Rasmussen

Last edited by kipper2k; 01 October 2019 at 01:50.
Old 01 October 2019, 09:16   #94
JanHolbo

Quote:
the gotek is independent of the romulator. the buttons on any gotek can be controlled by any keyboard, be it my MX or an original keyboard (an original gotek will require some soldering) . it will work with an a500/600 or a1200. the MX keyboard has this function built in, the original keyboards need "a little bit of help". I am almost ready to release the boards, once i am done finalizing them i will release the boards. i redesigned my old gotek design with pin headers so it can be connected to the keyboards/adapters to enable the advanced gotek features (OSD, eject, up/down etc), no soldering needed. i notice that there is a new OSD update for the HXC core. the nice thing about the romulator and the OSD is you can easily see the listing while in the romulator menu.
Ahhh, quite nice!

I have a Gotek in df1: - have been thinking about another Gotek for df0: but then I need to get another external drive so that I have access to real floppies.

Quote:
AOTL have the romulators in stock and he just needs to add these to the inventory listing, supplies are limited. I am still trying to sort out a UK distributor for those that do not want to purchase from N. America.
Cool. Don't mind ordering from the US but would make more sense to get it from Europe :-)

Quote:
depending on your a500 version your amiga can access 512 or 1MB ROMs the maximum an A500 can access is a 1MB ROM. the available ram on the romulator is 1MB. an a500+ can support 1MB ROM, the earlier a500s can support 1MB with a simple mod, this also applies to the A2000.
It's a rev 6a MB with a 1MB Fat agnus. I am hoping to populate the empty RAM slots - just waiting for parts.

Quote:
The cartridge mode for me is a great thing, it would be more practical on a 1MB/2MB ROM but even on a 1.3ks it could still have the means of setting up a rom image to allow "modules" to be attached to a basic rom to achieve cartridge mode.
I thought about 880 KB of data from a floppy and a minimal Kickstart 1.2/1.3 - a full floppy would leave about 140 KB for a cut-down version of Kickstart 1.3. It should be possible to find 116 KB to ditch from the ROM.

Jan
Old 01 October 2019, 18:06   #95
kipper2k

I have been asked a few times about whether i can mail people some of my items to them rather than use a 3rd party...

shipping costs from Canada to Europe/Asia are crazy. If i wanted to mail an item to UK using registered shipping (24cm x 16cm x6cm) weighing 0.245 Kgram the cost would be $43.14. If it was 10 grams heavier it would cost $55.58.

When i used to mail items to Europe a few years back there was a much cheaper registered mail option that was available that Canadapost no longer offer. People would ask me to mail items to them using regular mail which was much cheaper and said they were happy to take the risk. When the packages were lost paypal took their side and i lost the cost of the item and all the other fees etc.

I don't think there is anyone in their right mind who would want to buy anything from me now knowing that i won't mail anything to them unless you are willing to pay the registered mailing cost. The cost to mail something to the USA for me is a lot cheaper and the cost for mailing from USA to Europe is also a lot cheaper. This is why i elected to continue this way.

If i could "export" to Europe at a decent cost i would be willing to send to a distributor there and they can sell. Unfortunately the only way this could possibly work is if they actually ordered/assembled and programmed the devices themselves and i would be out of the loop completely. There are a couple of AAA team members in the UK and if they are willing to look after the Europe side then it can be managed.

At present Amigaonthelake has the Romulator in stock and also all the MX keyboards are being built by them, i know he is swamped so cut them a bit of slack. If i can find a solution for Europe distribution i will let everyone know
Old 02 October 2019, 06:00   #96
McTrinsic

I really don’t have an issue with ordering from Canada. Been there some time ago for a wonderful time. Love the country. It’s just if AotL have them in stock why not sell them .
Old 02 October 2019, 15:32   #97
kipper2k

i have been promised they will be on the website later today, so i will keep an eye open as well
Old 02 October 2019, 15:48   #98
torsti76

I'd be interested in the 32 Bit version, too. Please, keep developing such great stuff!
Old 03 October 2019, 15:51   #99
Daishi

Kipper the link in your sig gives me an error.
http://www.kipper2k.com/index.html
Not Found [CFN #0005]
Old 04 October 2019, 06:36   #100
McTrinsic

Quote:
i have been promised they will be on the website later today, so i will keep an eye open as well

Which time zone