English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language

Old 14 February 2012, 18:55   #1
keitha1200

Which 'free' Basic language program?

I was wondering what the general opinion is about Basic language programmes such as:

Pure Basic (downloadable full and free programme) Amiga version

or

SDL Basic
Old 15 February 2012, 00:32   #2
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitha1200 View Post
Pure Basic (downloadable full and free programme) Amiga version
I can't comment on the others, but I found Purebasic to be a nightmare. Crash-prone, resource intensive and generally horrible to use.
Old 17 February 2012, 19:34   #3
keitha1200

Thanks for the reply P-J

What language would you recommend to someone who was very fluent in Speccy basic, and touched on Asm (many, many years ago), yet the language is still good for ports or clones?
Old 18 February 2012, 01:25   #4
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I did briefly use SDL Basic (on my laptop) a few years back, and even helped update the documentation - English was not the developers first language. Sadly, as it had no way to compile the programs into standalone executables (anyone running SDL Basic programs had to download SDL Basic editor) at the time, I went back to Amiga programming.
Also the SDL Basic forums were (are?) very quiet and last time I was on there, heavily hijacked by spammers

The language itself is based on AMOS/AMOS Pro and is easy to pickup, especially if you have programmed in Basic before. It was great for developing your own programs, as long as you weren't planning to distribute them.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 23 March 2012, 01:00   #5
Amiga Forever

Free Programming Language are

FreeBasic

ThinBasic

Programming Language that are not free are

Blitz 3D
Blitz Max
Old 23 March 2012, 02:44   #6
Dunny

Quote:
Thanks for the reply P-J

What language would you recommend to someone who was very fluent in Speccy basic, and touched on Asm (many, many years ago), yet the language is still good for ports or clones?
I would recommend SpecBAS - based on Speccy BASIC and way more powerful. Fully open-source, the linux version depends on SDL for graphical output (and SDL_Image for image import), all that remains is for some brave soul to port it to the Amiga ;-)

http://www.specbas.co.uk/

D.
Old 23 March 2012, 03:10   #7
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Definitely FreeBasic. Works under Windows and Linux. Very powerful and fast, (no, really) and doesn't need those typical old school basic techniques (Amos and those 8 bit Basics come to mind), although it does allow them (useful for getting used to the compiler and editor).

Has some object orientation features and allows writing in a similar way as C (including DLL usage and system calls), but with Basic syntax, while also retaining the more easy Basic functions.

Has reasonably good documentation, nice editor, useful examples and an active, helpful forum.

Get it from here: http://www.freebasic.net/

Quote:
Skip the Spectrum Basic stuff. This is more or less just like the other old school 8 bit Basics. When you already know this kind of programming, then you should leave it behind, and use something more advanced.

Last edited by Thorham; 23 March 2012 at 03:19.
Old 13 April 2012, 16:18   #8
keitha1200

Thanks for the feedback guys
Old 14 April 2012, 01:39   #9
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Skip the Spectrum Basic stuff. This is more or less just like the other old school 8 bit Basics. When you already know this kind of programming, then you should leave it behind, and use something more advanced.
Why?

I personally have coded in x86 asm, ARM asm, object Pascal (Delphi) and C/C++ for nearly 15 years - and have now gone back to Speccy BASIC. You're saying I shouldn't do that?

Why?

D.
Old 14 April 2012, 12:52   #10
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Why?

I personally have coded in x86 asm, ARM asm, object Pascal (Delphi) and C/C++ for nearly 15 years - and have now gone back to Speccy BASIC. You're saying I shouldn't do that?

Why?

D.
agreed, if a language does what you want, it's the one you should use. I also have coded in C/C++, E, asm, and just prefer coding in basic variants. I find I can read the code easier.

the equivalent of print "hello" can be done in any language!
Old 14 April 2012, 14:37   #11
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Why?

I personally have coded in x86 asm, ARM asm, object Pascal (Delphi) and C/C++ for nearly 15 years - and have now gone back to Speccy BASIC.
Then I'm sure you know how limited those 8 bit BASICs are in comparison to things like assembler and C. What I want to know is why did you go back?
Quote:
You're saying I shouldn't do that?

Why?

D.
No, I'm not saying that and you should do what you want
Old 14 April 2012, 18:17   #12
Photon

Can't help you choose since my only experience of BASIC on Amiga is a quick test with the Microsoft one (which must be the worst BASIC on Amiga...) and a brief stint with HiSoft BASIC to make a sine curve generator when I was a lamer. IIRC the HiSoft one was better, even if you perhaps can't do the same stuff as in AMOS(?) in it.

But I'm glad to see this perfect use of our new forums , it might have drowned or gotten pushed off the first page in the single forum we had before.

Thorham: can't find an Amiga port on that page? Surely it's a request for an Amiga BASIC?
Old 14 April 2012, 18:37   #13
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Thorham: can't find an Amiga port on that page? Surely it's a request for an Amiga BASIC?
Perhaps it is There's no Amiga port that I'm aware of.
Old 14 April 2012, 23:19   #14
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Then I'm sure you know how limited those 8 bit BASICs are in comparison to things like assembler and C. What I want to know is why did you go back?
Because it's more fun, purely and simply. It's easy to knock up a very quick prototype of an algorithm in BASIC. It doesn't require any set up code - no window creation, immediate access to a graphics surface...

And it also changes the way you think about your code. Using line numbers constrains you wonderfully, resulting in very concise code. I wrote a simple R-Type engine in 25 lines of BASIC, for example. I love it. The best part is that I wrote the entire interpreter and the IDE myself!

D.
Old 16 April 2012, 22:54   #15
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Because it's more fun, purely and simply. It's easy to knock up a very quick prototype of an algorithm in BASIC. It doesn't require any set up code - no window creation, immediate access to a graphics surface...
I agree.

For learning new things or just creating simple tools you can knock them up in a few hours.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 17 April 2012, 03:39   #16
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Because it's more fun, purely and simply.
That is very subjective, so to each their own

Quote:
It's easy to knock up a very quick prototype of an algorithm in BASIC. It doesn't require any set up code - no window creation, immediate access to a graphics surface...
That's why I use FreeBasic

Quote:
And it also changes the way you think about your code. Using line numbers constrains you wonderfully, resulting in very concise code.
But is concise code good code? Is it maintainable? Is it fast? To me line numbers are something to avoid at all cost. Again, highly subjective.

Because of this subjectiveness, it's a good thing that multiple types of Basic have been recommended. Some people dislike one type of Basic, others will dislike another kind
Old 17 April 2012, 04:38   #17
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I'll put my vote in for AmigaE then. Once you get used to using := for all assignments, it's as much like any object-oriented BASIC you've ever seen and the OOP features are optional also.

If you want to use it on other platforms there is PortablE but it currently generates C++ as a backend. Maybe someday it'll have a runtime library so the resultant binaries will be smaller.
Old 19 April 2012, 23:41   #18
keitha1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I thought it was just me too Def Amiga basic

I understand about different tastes etc but I had a good look at Python and, even watched the 2-3 hour Goggle Python presentation

Hmm learning something like Python to me! is like spending a nice sunny afternoon washing and polishing a Ford Focus, where learning Amiga basic is more like spending the afternoon washing and polishing a classical sports car. One's certainly more productive and useful than the other but is still rather dull and boring

But 'yes' it's def down to individual taste. Thanks for the input tho

Last edited by keitha1200; 19 April 2012 at 23:43. Reason: typos
Old 20 April 2012, 03:56   #19
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

AmigaE and the associated registered freeware compiler are probably the best Amiga-specific programming environment out there. The E-modules that come with the first package I linked are quite extensive especially for writing regular applications.

If you want to write games though, you'd probably be better off with Blitz Basic or AmosPro simply because there are more game-related packages available for Blitz and Amos.
Old 29 May 2012, 11:26   #20
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Why code in a dead BASIC? Let's go all the way, shall we? Why code on a dead computer in the first place? Why Spccy? C=64? Acorn BBC? Amiga? ST?

The answer is quite simple: the more limitations the computer have, the more you have to think about how to get the most out of the computer. And that's where the "fun" part comes in. Sure, "anyone" can make a flashy demo on a 6core 4GHz computer with 16GB RAM.

BUT: To create the "same" demo on a Speccy with only a 6502 (or was it the Z-80?) at 1MHz and 48kB, Now THAT is satisfaction.

like people said to me back in the 98 when I used my Amiga exclusively on the 'net and everywhere else "you can't use the WWW on the Amiga, that's why I have Windows" to which I replied "You bastard, I'll have to uninstall my IP-stack and browser and ftp client and IRC client and NNTP-client now, seing as you tell me I can't do it"

It's the satisfaction of seeing things work in that limited environment, when people ell you it's "impossible." the number of times peoples' jaws drops to the ground whenI've done the "impossible" for a long time on my Amiga, that's why I keep using the Amiga. quickly wipes the stupid smirks off of their faces.