English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 February 2003, 21:10   #1
debbuthap

Add Harddrive Problems

I added my old 1Gig Amiga-HD to my computer and it was recognized by WinUAE. It is even booting-up.

But when a requester (i.e. one loads a file) opens one sees only strange characters.

Then it seems impossible to change the system configuration.
For example when i change my backdrops and press save, next time i boot up the workbench loads the old configuration.

Finally the system does not recognize files that have been copied on it. For example i copied the uae keymap on my Amiga-HD but it is not shown in Input where the other keymaps are.

I would be very happy if someone could give at least a hint.

Old 20 February 2003, 21:17   #2
Echo

I'm very surprised this worked at all. WinUAE can't read Fast File System hard drives connected to the PC can it?

You'd have much better success getting the files across to a folder on a FAT32/NTFS drive. You can then mount the directory as an Amiga hard drive. This functions perfectly, I've managed to clone my real Amiga Workbench with a few tweaks.
Old 20 February 2003, 21:18   #3
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
I'm very surprised this worked at all. WinUAE can't read Fast File System hard drives connected to the PC can it?
Yes you can if you have WinXP/2000
Old 20 February 2003, 21:56   #4
Echo

!!

What a feature

Zip disks and cross-dos become annoying when filenames are truncated to 8.3 on the Amiga side. Means I have to LHA/ZIP everything I transfer, and the A1200 takes hours to unzip large files, lol.
Old 20 February 2003, 22:07   #5
Amiga1992

An idea here, Toni might need to reply to this...

If you have XP or 2000, perhaps you can mount your ZIP disks under WinUAE?
Old 20 February 2003, 22:09   #6
oldpx

Win9x kernel is dead and it sucked hard anyway. Why support 9x systems?

Old 20 February 2003, 22:20   #7
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Win9x kernel is dead and it sucked hard anyway. Why support 9x systems?
Mainly due to the fact that there are still so many boxes out there running these older OS's
Old 20 February 2003, 22:33   #8
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas
Well, the harddisk emulation is not bad, tought far from perfect. Toni into readme claims that the FFS is not perfect - thats true, but i never ever experienced the "not refreshed directory" problem, witch i experiencing on UAE - but no biggie, i can do refresh manually
Whats more sad is, that the emulation dont accept some FFS parameters
Let me explain. I modified my S-S to dont load ENV: files (OS prefs and def icons) into ram, where assigning then the ENV: directory.
Instead, i assign the ENV just to the directory, where it is stored permanently, preventing the copying of many small files, resulting into faster system boot.

I was very badly surprised, when this dont work on WinUAE. Since i keep every adressing relative, i tought that transfering my OS will be a piece of coke and im spendt many hours trying to understand, WTF is wrong with my OS, why he dont want to read its prefs, whats going on, and such...

Just instead of this:
MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/Sys
Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ
Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV

use this:
MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards
Assign >NIL: ENV: :Prefs/Env-Archive

...and see, what things can get wrong :eek
Toni, can you please look at it? Thx...
Use my system as testing one
Old 20 February 2003, 22:39   #9
debbuthap

Add Harddrives problems

Sorry to have bothered you people!

I have to partitions on my drive(3.1 and 3.9)
And while booting from 3.9 i tried to change 3.1.

Sorry again I must be a complete idiot!

Old 20 February 2003, 22:50   #10
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
An idea here, Toni might need to reply to this...

If you have XP or 2000, perhaps you can mount your ZIP disks under WinUAE?
That would be excellent - I'm using AFS on the Amiga zip disks. Which is far better performance too, compared to a PC formatted zip disk (on the Amiga side anyway).

The long filename support would be worth it though. I don't suppose OS 3.9s crossdos function has been improved to implement this as standard?
Old 21 February 2003, 02:42   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by trodas
Just instead of this:
MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/Sys
Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ
Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV

use this:
MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards

...and see, what things can get wrong :eek
Toni, can you please look at it? Thx...
Use my system as testing one
Have you tried using an absolute path like:

Assign >NIL: ENV: sys:Prefs/Env-Archive
instead of

Not that I have tried it, but it should be worth a go.
Old 21 February 2003, 13:42   #12
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas
Echo - using zip to transfer data between my A1200 sich scsi zip and my PC crap normaly.
The performace (reading/writing) is nearly the same on both machines (Amiga is slightly slover, but just a bit, really - OTOH its very reliable!!!)
Win2k, in cotrast, have so many cache problems. I solved this using a sync.exe command, what flush all caches and then eject the zip, when transfer is complete. Cool tool.
But still.
W2k ahng instantly (blue screen, total fault), when i try copy file, writen on Amiga to the zip, with longer filename!!!
It suxx. The file is properly viewed, and on Amiga can be copyied back, but never ever on PC.
Very disapointing, from my PC

Twistin'Ghost - good idea, trying to replace the very relative (":" means on Amiga actuall device - so, its entierly universal, just like Assign Volume1OfStupidGame "" - assign goes into curent directory, where the script is ) path with absolute one realy MIGHT be worth a try, i do it... :-)
But anyway, your example is still relative adresing, dude
Because SYS is the booting volume, no matter what its it logical or physical name
(jsut to prove you lack of knowledge and make fun of you, sorry, i could not resist ...take it as fun, please, and not as insult )
Actually, yours idea is good. Since Assign SYS:Prefs work, why should not Assign ENV: SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys - right?

...well, it did not work also...
Something into how the WinUAE handles filesystem is just plain wrong...
Toni, could you please look at this? Thx!
Old 21 February 2003, 14:43   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Trodas: Your so called "bug reports" aren't still too good but at least they seem to improve slowly

Quote:
Well, the harddisk emulation is not bad, tought far from perfect
I don't think this comment helps much...

Quote:
i never ever experienced the "not refreshed directory" problem,
OS2+ directory notification is implemented in latest release. (but probably isn't perfect yet)

I'll try to fix the :-bug soon. (finally report that clearly explains how to reproduce the bug)

Emulating Amiga filesystem is painful and complex, just look at filesys.c comments

EDIT: fixed typo

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 21 February 2003 at 14:57.
Old 21 February 2003, 14:57   #14
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Toni Wilen - "Todus" ?! WTF?!

Okay, patience with me always helps But i have to express my opinions about how things working and also can show users, what they can expect.
Well, my "ENV-on-disk" trick i invented (its no biggie, but on old HW like orginal A3k at time of its relase helps a little) back into 1989/90 and its used on AmigaOS 2.01 first (NOT the standard 2.04 everyone knows and used later - 2.01 - a funny OS with lots of crazy-looking gfx into window titles and such - just imagine morph between OS 1.33 and 2.04 and into middle of the process you get the idea
Well, but thats the time this idea born - its simply unnecesary co copy prefs to ram, when they could stay on disk, dont eating ram - the bad thing is, that USE means the same as SAVE, while save mostly reporting that cant save, object is in USE.
So, the diference between USE and SAVE anything with prefs is, that USE expecting, that object is into use and still overwrite it, while SAVE dont.
Hope this informations helps too.
Actually, the trick worked from this time, tought betatesting AOS 3.0 (the developer Rom for a3k was a interesting piece of software ) to todays AOS 3.9 bb2

And no dubt about big problems with this filesystem - its a complex thing. Even its own autor dont make it bugfree, look at the latest patch on Aminet for it
FFS4514p.lha util/misc 11K Unofficial patch for the 45.13 FastFileSystem (3.9 BB2)
(actually, i recommending it )
Old 21 February 2003, 15:44   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
This seems to work without problems.. What was the original problem?
Old 21 February 2003, 18:27   #16
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by trodas
Ha
HAHA
HAHHAAHAH!
AHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

Sorry, I'm making fun of your lack of Amiga knowledge, don't take it wrong, take it as a funny, not as an insult.
Old 21 February 2003, 19:17   #17
oldpx

Quote:
Mainly due to the fact that there are still so many boxes out there running these older OS's
I know it, I also know forcing people to upgrade is annoying but 9x is just to be buried and forgotten for it's a mistake in computing history

Old 21 February 2003, 19:43   #18
Amiga1992

I didnt find XP to be much of an upgrade to 9x, so I never "upgraded". I don't want to slow down my computer to slug-pace, it's working great with win98.

I moved to OSX on the Mac tho ;D
Old 21 February 2003, 21:25   #19
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Toni Wilen - first at all, you miss the /Sys at the end, so:
Assign >NIL: ENV: :Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys - othervise ENV: is not where it should be.

The second thing is, that i dont say, that the assign did not work - it works. But OS did not read/accept to take the files from the emulated hardrive, so, there is obivously a lack of support for it.
Actually, try to modify the system and the first thing after reboot you notice, is ugly PAL 640x256x4colors (2bpls)...
...and all prefs are gone. Just take it back, reboot, and things are back, working.
So, based on the fact, that into Ram: these prefs working fine, we can find a culprit there
Old 21 February 2003, 22:34   #20
Amiga1992

Please post your startup-sequence file here.
*giggle*