English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 January 2016, 23:59   #1
Zilog

[Request New Feature] Filter Option

Hi Tony,
it possibile implement in the Menu "Filter" for Native graphics, option for setting different filter if resolution is 640x512 or 640x256 or 320x256...ecc....

Now it possibile setting different filter for the Native Graphics or Rtg Graphics.

Thanks a lot.
Zilog.
Old 14 February 2016, 18:35   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I missed this completely..

It isn't that simple, for example what should happen if two resolutions are visible at the same time? (which is quite common)
Old 14 February 2016, 20:46   #3
Zilog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post

It isn't that simple, for example what should happen if two resolutions are visible at the same time? (which is quite common)
Hi Tony,
no problem! Thanks for contact me.

mmm...i did'nt think this problem

For do function correctly this fecture need that a d3d filter set differently for each resolution; with default native setting if not set parameters for specif resolution.

mmm....it too diffucult in affectly.

So...i request , no problem

By. Thanks.
Old 15 February 2016, 08:40   #4
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
My 2 cents : have a specific filter for each resolution, and, if it's really impossible to use different filters on different screen areas, have a special "mixed resolutions" filter setting.
Why can't filters process only part of the screen anyway ?
Old 15 February 2016, 10:42   #5
Leandro Jardim

Quote:

I think that in theory WinUAE should use the filter for the larger resolution visible for the screen. In theory the larger, most high-end resolution should be able to display the larger and the smaller screen modes all at once, it has been this way with the Amiga all these years.

For example, the filter that I use to simulate Microvitec VGA resolutions, should be chosen over the CRT TV filter that I use for OCS resolutions. Why? Its because if both VGA and OCS resolutions are visible on the screen, its because in the real world I would be using a Microvitec, so WinUAE chould choose the Microvitec filters first (Microvitec can hangle VGA and OCS, too).
Old 15 February 2016, 10:54   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Filter always works with complete screen. It is completely separate pass, it does not know (and can't know) nothing about Amiga side resolutions.

OP: Why do you want it? It is always best to explain "why?" Why this kind of filter option. Just asking for some specific implementation that fits your request rarely is the optimal way to do it.
Old 15 February 2016, 11:07   #7
meynaf
son of 68k

Dunno for the OP, but he's not alone seeing an interest in such an option.
And the reason is very simple : the same filter isn't necessarily optimal for all resolutions. Filter A may be the best for lowres but not that good in hires, while filter B is better for hires but not very good in lowres - while shres may eventually need no filter at all.
Old 15 February 2016, 12:25   #8
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
OP: Why do you want it? It is always best to explain "why?" Why this kind of filter option. Just asking for some specific implementation that fits your request rarely is the optimal way to do it.
Dont worry that all us know that you is needing to fix the OS4 UAE expansion boards and all the damage which that caused on the rest of WinUAE. I specially would like to see it fixed, for you to continue enhancing the chipset and cycle exact emulation.

My interest on this option is purely aesthetical, and I had forgotten of it for long time ago. LowRes screen modes gets more pretty with a different CRT mask + filter that I am using for HighLesLaced Workbench screens. I also want to select another mask + filter for VGA-like AGA screens like Multisync, to make it pretty like a RGB monitor.

Not that important.

That being said, I really would like to see this option implemented on WinUAE, together with the MAME HSLSL filter, someday, preferably before you finish your time as WinUAE coder.
Old 15 February 2016, 12:46   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Dont worry that all us know that you is needing to fix the OS4 UAE expansion boards and all the damage which that caused on the rest of WinUAE. I specially would like to see it fixed, for you to continue enhancing the chipset and cycle exact emulation.
WTF? You have very little time to explain and edit this.
Old 15 February 2016, 13:01   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There is already resolution autoswitch that selects lowest possible resolution mode without losing pixels (if mode is lores = lores, if both lores and hires, select hires and so on)

I guess solution would quite simple: use autoswitch resolution detection to select user configured filter profile.

EDIT: Actually config file only "displaydata" parameter is better, it allows to configure if something needs to be done when resolution is something, lace mode is something, is it pal or ntsc etc.. When they match, there can be optional filter profile that gets changed. It was designed to allow change of PC resolution depending on Amiga side mode.

EDIT2:

Something like this will work in next beta:

displaydata=lores,gfx_filter=D3D:CRT-geom-blend.fx
displaydata=hires,gfx_filter=none

or

displaydata=params,config entry1=abc,config_entry2=aaa

lores,hires,shres,nlace,lace and more..

Search for "displaydata" in this forum for original purpose..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 15 February 2016 at 16:36.
Old 15 February 2016, 21:11   #11
Zilog

Quote:
Filter always works with complete screen. It is completely separate pass, it does not know (and can't know) nothing about Amiga side resolutions.

Hi Tony,
personaly i want that i use resolution not laced ( 320,640,1280 x 256) it possibile attive Mask scaline and scaling 2x (vertical), while i use resolution laced ( 320,640,1280x 512) it possibile deactive mask scaline and use scaling 1x (vertical).

Thanks.
Old 15 February 2016, 21:52   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Should be possible but it needs manual config file editing. This is far too flexible system to fit in GUI.

I'll post examples after next beta is out.
Old 15 February 2016, 21:55   #13
Zilog

Quote:
Should be possible but it needs manual config file editing. This is far too flexible system to fit in GUI.

Ok. Very Thanks Tony!
Old 15 February 2016, 22:00   #14
Zilog

Quote:

...but in Gui if possbile for realize this feacture, add in the menu Filter-> Native more option , for example:
Rtg
Native (All Resolution)
Native 320 *256
Native 640 *256
Native 1280 *256
Native 320 *512
Native 640 *512
Native 1280 *512

By.
Old 16 February 2016, 01:26   #15
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
WTF? You have very little time to explain and edit this.
I meant to say, in this order, that the OS4 UAE Board required a big change on WinUAE code and that you have too little time to fix all these things and this is bad, because I prefer to see the emulator enhance on the CPU and chipset emulation level.

I meant to say too, that you are a good and experient coder, but that the decision to add PPC compatibility to WinUAE maybe was not just too good, maybe because of the reason cited above.
Old 16 February 2016, 09:17   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
I meant to say, in this order, that the OS4 UAE Board required a big change on WinUAE code and that you have too little time to fix all these things and this is bad, because I prefer to see the emulator enhance on the CPU and chipset emulation level.

I meant to say too, that you are a good and experient coder, but that the decision to add PPC compatibility to WinUAE maybe was not just too good, maybe because of the reason cited above.
The point (which I have repeated many times) is that there is not many interesting things to do anymore. All remaining compatibility problems are extremely difficult and very time consuming to find out (= remaining undocumented features, 68020 CPU internal timing) and there is still no guarantee it fixes anything. All remaining fixes are just boring fixes, rewrites for better code quality etc..

Finding out complex undocumented features has nothing to do with being coder, good or bad.

This stuff at least is new and interesting coding challenge (Doing unexpected things with AmigaOS internals is always fun) and it even helps m68k AOS compatiblity in some corner case situations and it also meant some extra money (and I don't mean just donations..).

Same happened with expansion devices, video port adapters: I wanted to do something new and interesting.
Old 27 February 2016, 22:06   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilog View Post
personaly i want that i use resolution not laced ( 320,640,1280 x 256) it possibile attive Mask scaline and scaling 2x (vertical), while i use resolution laced ( 320,640,1280x 512) it possibile deactive mask scaline and use scaling 1x (vertical).
Something like this should work (requires 330b7 or newer)

displaydata=nlace,cmd=gfx_filter_mask=<mask file>,gfx_filter_vert_zoom_multf=2
displaydata=lace,cmd=gfx_filter_mask=,gfx_filter_vert_zoom_multf=1

First line means: if not lace ("nlace"), then modify following command line entries. Second line does the same for interlace mode ("lace").

Other supported display mode parameters are:

- v=value (if vertical line count equals value)
- h=value (if horizontal color clock count equals value)
- lores
- hires
- shres
- ntsc
- pal
- nvsync (only if vsync disabled)
- vsync (only if vsync enabled)
- lof (non-lace long fields only)
- shf (non-lace short fields only)
- rtg (rtg only)

Command line parameters are only modified when all listed parameters match with current screen mode.
Old 28 February 2016, 08:59   #18
Leandro Jardim

Thanks Toni, I will test it soon.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 28 February 2016 at 09:41.
Old 01 March 2016, 18:00   #19
Zilog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilog View Post
...but in Gui if possbile for realize this feacture, add in the menu Filter-> Native more option , for example:
Rtg
Native (All Resolution)
Native 320 *256
Native 640 *256
Native 1280 *256
Native 320 *512
Native 640 *512
Native 1280 *512

By.
Hi Tony,
great! very very thanks!!!
I Test the fecture.