English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 07 June 2013, 10:56   #1
NovaCoder

MAME v0.35.12 - 060 AGA

I wanted to give MAME a go on my 80Mhz 060 using AGA.

I've got an old CDROM with some ROMS so I should have all I need.

I downloaded mame060.lha but didn't get very far

The installer didn't even do anything (just sat on the title screen) so I copied the files over manually, when I ran it and added a ROM all it did was give me some ROM errors and then it just crashed

I tried it with a few different ROMS but it always crashes on my OS 3.9 machine.

Anyone got anywhere with this on a real machine?
Old 07 June 2013, 11:51   #2
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Hi mate! I am unable to run mame on my amiga as i only have an 020 A600, but i know that mame on pc can be very fussy with different romsets.

For the best results try download and match the romset to the same corresponding version of the mame emu that you are running, in which the mame060 version you are running is ver0.35.12

When running new mame romsets on old versions of mame, it can often throw up rom loading errors.

I found this out when trying to run a new romset on my caanoo that has an old version of Mame4All on it, i ended up having to download an old romset which was ver0.37b5 and that fixed a lot of the rom load errors i was having.

This may not be your problem but i hope it helps!
Old 07 June 2013, 11:51   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Nova,

Mame runs fine on mine, I used a really old Mame Rom set, this might be your problem.

[ Show youtube player ]

I'll zip up mine and upload it for you later

Steve.
Old 07 June 2013, 11:53   #4
emufan

i think it is related to changed rom content of games. you can use a old 0.35 dat and a rommanager ( Romcenter ) and build your roms for the old version or try this link, with 0.36 roms ( first result ).

Edit: the installer is working here. WinUAE - AmiSys 4, RTG screen "UAE: 800x600 32bit BGRA". there are a lot strange ToolTypes in the Installer-Icon. maybe you can edit them in a usefull way.

www.triumph.no lists information about their mame and installerFX.

Edit: just in case...
mamesrc, original 0.35b12 src code, not sure about "GeekGadgets" - req for mamesrc.

Last edited by emufan; 07 June 2013 at 12:42.
Old 07 June 2013, 13:15   #5
NovaCoder

Ok thanks guys, I'll give it another go and let you know if I get anywhere
Old 07 June 2013, 15:34   #6
fishyfish
Banned

I used to use 0.60 on amithlon a fair bit, and I seem to recall it wanting a particular directory structure or else it doesnt find roms. My amithlon box is out of action at the moment though sorry so I cant check to tell you exactly. I also vaguely recall ending up getting it to work by using another version that creates (or perhaps contains,... cant recall) the "right" directory layout when it installs and replacing the executable in the root mame directory.

Sorry for the vagueness, but hopefully it'll be of use to you

p.s. if you ever find yourself out of ideas and looking for something to push an aga amiga, a cut down cps2 only (ie. streetfighter2) build of mame could be fun I used to play it on a pentium 100 "back in the day" using one of the earlier mame versions that supported it and it ran well. Strider and Forgotten worlds are 2 others that use the same hardware that I also used to play.

Im sure youve got your own plans, but if I can plant a seed at least then Im happy :P

Last edited by fishyfish; 07 June 2013 at 15:42.
Old 07 June 2013, 16:20   #7
NovaCoder

I just had a go with Steve's version of MAME setup (thanks Steve!)

Ok so I managed to get at least some of the ROMS to work now

I played with the default settings (added a frame skip etc) and managed to get a playable speed in Commando and in 1942 but the sound is a bit nasty. It sounds like a programming problem (bad DMA?) to me rather then just a lack of CPU cycles (obviously there is a lack of CPU cycles though).

I tried with both Paula and AHI, anyone got decent sound out of MAME running on real hardware? Just noticed Steve's comment on the video he posted above, looks like he didn't manage to get very good sound out of it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
p.s. if you ever find yourself out of ideas and looking for something to push an aga amiga, a cut down cps2 only (ie. streetfighter2) build of mame could be fun I used to play it on a pentium 100 "back in the day" using one of the earlier mame versions that supported it and it ran well. Strider and Forgotten worlds are 2 others that use the same hardware that I also used to play.

Im sure youve got your own plans, but if I can plant a seed at least then Im happy :P
I think I've already pushed AGA way too much with Quake 2 and now DOSBox. The only good thing about my DOSBox port is that it means Quake 2 is no longer the most demanding AGA application

Actually this MAME is pretty damn demanding too.

I'm far from running out of ideas, I had a go at an Ultima 7 port to AGA today, managed to get it to compile which is a start but there's always loads of work to get these SDL ports to be playable on real Amiga hardware, I'm still trying to get Descent Rebirth to run at a good enough speed.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 07 June 2013 at 16:29.
Old 07 June 2013, 16:56   #8
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

yes novacoder,
try to make a better mame version !!!!!
please , please push the aga to the top !
Old 08 June 2013, 17:22   #9
blizz1220

Happy MAME v0.35.12 - 060 AGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post

I played with the default settings (added a frame skip etc) and managed to get a playable speed in Commando and in 1942 but the sound is a bit nasty. It sounds like a programming problem (bad DMA?) to me rather then just a lack of CPU cycles (obviously there is a lack of CPU cycles though).

I tried with both Paula and AHI, anyone got decent sound out of MAME running on real hardware? Just noticed Steve's comment on the video he posted above, looks like he didn't manage to get very good sound out of it either.
Hi Novacoder ,

Great work on those new cool ports that you keep pulling out of your hat

I played with Aminet versions of MAME quite a bit on Winuae and got most succes out of last version for 040.Sound is broken because of the lack of cpu cycles because when I turned Winuae to max overdrive problem disappeared.In 060 (latest on Aminet) version sound seems to be broken in some games due to poor mame drivers for the game.
Mame 0.37 is slooooow even on faster systems (I couldn't run it well even on G4/400 Mhz PowerMac and had to use CPSMame for CPS and GeoMame for NeoGeo) and some games run 2-5 times slower then other games with a lot less poweful hw (Golden Axe was unplayable on P2 for example , most of the sega games were slow too).
Fastest emulator out there for CPS1 games is Callus for Win95 (runs on full speed even on 486/100) while NeoRage is fastest for NeoGeo games (could run Metal Slug 2 on P1/133 at perfect speed).Don't know if the sources are available or even of any use to you.
Anyway great work so far

Last edited by prowler; 08 June 2013 at 21:48. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 09 June 2013, 07:44   #10
NovaCoder

Hiya,

Yes I've confirmed that the 040 version on AmiNet has better sound (and it's also maybe a little faster) than the 060 version, I think something must have gone wrong with the 060 build.

I'll try and do a video later of it running on my A1200 later.

Thanks for the other info, I'll look into it.
Old 09 June 2013, 14:48   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Novacoder, could it be possible to make with the mame 030 source a version with AGA only (and no cybergraphix.library or Muilowlevel.library needed ?)
Old 10 June 2013, 10:03   #12
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Novacoder, could it be possible to make with the mame 030 source a version with AGA only (and no cybergraphix.library or Muilowlevel.library needed ?)
No sorry, I'm very busy with other ports at the moment and don't want to take any more work on.
Old 23 June 2013, 21:18   #13
slaapliedje

What would be nice would be to get the newer versions of SDL-Mame working. More than likely they perform a lot better overall. Mame is a pig on any platform. I almost can play Gauntlet Dark Legacy on my AMD 8120 processor. Since Mame doesn't use any 3D acceleration, you have to have raw CPU power for it. Gauntlet plays smooth until monsters appear, then it goes down to about 7fps! This is on my beast of a PC.

On the Amiga, I'm wondering if it's possible to just strip out all the drivers for those type of games and just do much older / 2D only games...

I wonder when they stopped adding the Amiga builds, I know it was only fairly recently they dropped DOS support.

slaapliedje
Old 24 June 2013, 03:48   #14
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post

I think I've already pushed AGA way too much with Quake 2 and now DOSBox. The only good thing about my DOSBox port is that it means Quake 2 is no longer the most demanding AGA application

Actually this MAME is pretty damn demanding too.

I'm far from running out of ideas, I had a go at an Ultima 7 port to AGA today, managed to get it to compile which is a start but there's always loads of work to get these SDL ports to be playable on real Amiga hardware, I'm still trying to get Descent Rebirth to run at a good enough speed.
yes, about ultima 7, the game was at first only running with a graphic card. is this game technically possible on AGA machines like 030 or 040 ?
Old 24 June 2013, 04:28   #15
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
yes, about ultima 7, the game was at first only running with a graphic card. is this game technically possible on AGA machines like 030 or 040 ?
I don't know, I'm currently trying to find out
Old 24 June 2013, 04:34   #16
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
What would be nice would be to get the newer versions of SDL-Mame working.

On the Amiga, I'm wondering if it's possible to just strip out all the drivers for those type of games and just do much older / 2D only games...

slaapliedje
Yep it would be an interesting project, maybe someone wants to do this now that I've released an AGA SDL port.
Old 28 June 2013, 10:43   #17
Reido

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
i think it is related to changed rom content of games. you can use a old 0.35 dat and a rommanager ( Romcenter ) and build your roms for the old version or try this link, with 0.36 roms ( first result ).
So I got MAME running, thanks emufan for above, I was hoping against hope that I could get Bank Panic playable (too slow ) but it was nevertheless a great thrill to see it on my screen!! Will be interesting to see what games will be playable.....great fun though!
Old 05 March 2014, 20:53   #18
Leandro Jardim

This version of MAME says 040 but runs on EC020 too.

ftp://easyjohn.dyndns.info/Amiga/CD%...037.7/MAME.lzx

[EDIT: Unzip the roms, each one in one drawer of the same name as the zip file (without the extension) and put all they on the base dir of the program.]

[EDIT 2: Two more emulators:]
Attached Files
File Type: zip mame028.zip (412.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: lha mame026.lha (325.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 05 March 2014 at 22:32.