English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 March 2008, 21:54   #1
Dizzy
Pirate

Failed Negotiations

I found this amos made game you can grab it on this site http://www.venablesgames.co.uk/fn_page.htm

he also made some other games

Spacepack
Cosmic Warrior

http://www.venablesgames.co.uk/index.htm

Old 03 March 2008, 22:26   #2
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Looks like they sat some special needs kids down and let them re-make Lethal Enforcers.
Old 03 March 2008, 22:27   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA View Post
Looks like they sat some special needs kids down and let them re-make Lethal Enforcers.
Now now don't be nasty!
Old 03 March 2008, 22:49   #4
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

anything AMOS is worth a look in my eyes. no matter how dodgy the graphics!

thanks Dizzy.
Old 03 March 2008, 22:59   #5
Graham Humphrey

Well, you know, don't judge a book by its cover and all that.
Old 04 March 2008, 10:39   #6
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Now now don't be nasty!
Old 04 March 2008, 23:03   #7
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA View Post
one more and you hit the 1000 on the post whore counter
Old 05 March 2008, 07:09   #8
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Bwwwwwwahahahahahaha!!!!!
Old 05 March 2008, 08:53   #9
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

What's funny here is that by 1998, the once greatest gaming platform computer of them all was reduced to waiting for shit like this to be released.
Old 05 March 2008, 09:40   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It wasn't a commercial game so that's a little unfair! The game was featured in an Amiga Format section for homebrew games.
Old 05 March 2008, 09:42   #11
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
What's funny here is that by 1998, the once greatest gaming platform computer of them all was reduced to waiting for shit like this to be released.
I know your pain! There was nothing worse than buying Amiga Format and the latest games being shit like this. It really was a depressing sight

Actually i thought this thread was going to be about Amiga.Inc when i saw the title "Failed Negotiations"
Old 05 March 2008, 10:38   #12
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett View Post
It wasn't a commercial game so that's a little unfair! The game was featured in an Amiga Format section for homebrew games.

I completely agree. Its a judgement that makes no sense, and i am surprised at the comments by Fred and Blade here.

Even so, by this stage home-made games were making up the majority of amiga 'releases' , you take the (very variable) quality with a pinch-of-salt, given that they were usually made by one guy across a few spare weekends, and not some money-grabbing software house who would spend months on development, testing, advertising, previews, and then simply not release the game.

there are many great PD games out there at this time, regardless of the quality shown here, and many of them are far more admirable than their commercial counterparts anyway.
Old 05 March 2008, 10:42   #13
Graham Humphrey

I agree. It's hardly representative of the PD scene as a whole. There were some really good titles released in the mid-late '90s, better than most of the commercial games that were released.
Old 05 March 2008, 10:58   #14
Paul_s

I think we should play failed negotiations at EAB meet. Then I get to splatter Dizzy with old tomato on his head
Old 05 March 2008, 12:59   #15
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
I completely agree. Its a judgement that makes no sense, and i am surprised at the comments by Fred and Blade here.
Well myself calling the game "shit" was a little bit harsh, i guess what i was trying say is that it was quite depressing at the time, because it was really the harsh reality of where the Amiga game market had gone too, and even though i do appreciate there were home brew games being released ( just like the bedroom coders of the C64 days ), it was just frustratingly sad that it had come to this.

I never wanted the software support for the Amiga to EVER die, and i think we can all agree with that.
Old 05 March 2008, 13:22   #16
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

@ Blade

my surprise was more with this:

Quote:
There was nothing worse than buying Amiga Format and the latest games being shit like this.
i'd hardly see this as amongst the selection of 'latest games' with a 4 page spead on the pages of AF.... you seemed to be talking about it as though it were a commercial release!

All PD is given to us mostly free of charge, and simply out of love by the author. I find it difficult to be dispointed in these situations, even when the product is rubbish, simply because the alternative is the developer giving us nothing.
Old 05 March 2008, 14:41   #17
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
@ Blade

my surprise was more with this:

i'd hardly see this as amongst the selection of 'latest games' with a 4 page spead on the pages of AF.... you seemed to be talking about it as though it were a commercial release!

All PD is given to us mostly free of charge, and simply out of love by the author. I find it difficult to be dispointed in these situations, even when the product is rubbish, simply because the alternative is the developer giving us nothing.
Yeah i am well aware of what PD is ( Public Domain ) and have played my fair share of PD games over the years as well as commercial releases, but the "point" i was trying to make is that it was sad that it had pretty much ONLY come down to PD releases at this point, and there were much more PD releases than commercial releases at "that time", hence it was quite frustrating when we had gone from sometimes 10 latest commercial quality releases per month to something like 1 quality commercial release per month or even every 2 months!.

Surely you remember the Amiga's heyday when it 1991 Amiga gaming quality had reached it peaked and then gradually it declined to point when in about 1998 it pretty had ended. That was my point, nothing more, nothing less....

And yes, i know there are many quality PD games out there, but even those quality PD games were really lacking by the late 90's.

Last edited by blade002; 05 March 2008 at 15:14.
Old 05 March 2008, 15:35   #18
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Yeah i am well aware of what PD is ( Public Domain )
where did i say you werent aware??!

i just thought it was a bit of strong reaction, directed strangely was all.

Quote:
but the "point" i was trying to make is that it was sad that it had pretty much ONLY come down to PD releases at this point, and we were much more PD releases than commercial releases at "that time",
well the system had been dead for a few years by then, even if some of us (myself included) tried hard to not let it be so, so its hardly surprising. I remember being very grateful (and still am) for everything PD... the aminet was the only thing that kept me in Amiga software at that time!

Quote:
hence it was quite frustrating when we had gone from sometimes 10 latest commercial quality releases per month to something like 1 quality commercial release per month or even every 2 months!.
as i said, i can understand frustration at the -lack- of commercial releases, (although it wasnt a sudden decline, but a gradual one - so hardly surprising) but still i have difficultly understanding a frustration at those (albeit PD) releases we did still get. The PD game/util scene for me has always been one of the most important and interesting parts of the Amiga community - of far more importance i think than the idolised demoscene or such. (what does a demo give us other than a few minutes of entertainment? without many PD utilities we'd have been shafted years before 1998)

Quote:
Surely you remember the Amiga's heyday when it 1991 Amiga gaming quality
and also an abundance of rubbish commercial releases.... how easily those are forgotten!

Quote:
And yes, i know there are many quality PD games out there, but even those quality PD games were really lacking by the late 90's.
i'm sure a quick trawl of aminet could reveal many late 90s PD games of quality.
Old 05 March 2008, 16:09   #19
Dizzy
Pirate

look isn't everything
Old 16 June 2015, 05:56   #20
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

I just saw that this game has been added to HOL.

I want to check it out. Anyone has the game? Authors site seems to be down, and can't find it anywhere else.