English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 10 July 2011, 01:19   #1
Graham Humphrey

EAB/Lemon Super League 2011: Round 8 - Zeewolf

EAB/Lemon Super League 2011: Round 8 - Zeewolf

Starts: 00:01 July 10 Finishes: 23:59 July 30

Rules

Post a picture of your score here with the score written underneath. Enter as often as you like. Only scores achieved during the round's time frame count.

No cheating of any kind (including score leeching) - this includes save states. No continues/passwords allowed. If you suspect anyone of cheating please let us know in private - anyone found guilty will be banned for the entire season.

Remember, anyone can join in at any time. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Bring a Friend!
Anybody who invites a totally new player into the competition will get double voting power for the next round.

A few terms and conditions:

1. The new player has to post a score for the designated round and has to confirm who they were invited by.

2. Only one double vote per person per round (although the voting bonus for winning the round will still apply).

3. Anybody who has ever taken part in a Super League or Knockout tournament (even once) does not count as a new player.

4. Players deliberately abusing this offer (i.e. getting someone to post a comedy score to get them the double vote) will have their double vote withdrawn.

Downloads

- ADF
- WHDLoad-installed

Extras

Current Scores - EAB, Lemon

1. lifeschool - 5,246,550
2. mailman - 4,075,150
3. Lonewolf10 - 3,540,750
4. capehorn - 3,304,250
5. john4p - 2,955,400
6. Ze Emulatron - 1,854,600
7. Harry - 634,750
8. bbsteal - 519,000
9. Graham Humphrey - 481,500
10. robotron - 364,050

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 31 July 2011 at 01:02.
Old 10 July 2011, 17:25   #2
Graham Humphrey

First time I played this, and I have to say it's pretty fun although I find the controls a tad unwieldy. Mission five overwhelmed me a tad.

Old 10 July 2011, 18:37   #3
Leffmann

Just gave this a quick try and I agree the controls are really tricky.

Girv's installer (I think) kicked me out after a few minutes of play though I very rarely play games so I've yet to be inclined to buy WHDLoad. Really cool looking game though.
Old 10 July 2011, 21:09   #4
mailman
Zone Friend

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015.png
Views:	324
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	29062  
Old 12 July 2011, 21:56   #5
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Just gave this a quick try and I agree the controls are really tricky.
I completely agree. The games look and awkward controls remind me of Lander, but the actual gameplay is more akin to the classic Strike series of games (Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Urban Strike, Nuclear Strike & Soviet Strike).
I'll give it my best shot, but the awkward controls are likely to get on my nerves

Edit:

Attention! Attention!!
The ADF is the demo version. Urgh!
After playing the game for a few hours, I finally completed the first mission only to be greeted with a "this is a demo, hope you get the full game" message
I have attached evidence it is a demo, but that message is the one I got when I killed myself.

BTW, the controls are terrible and did get on my nerves. It is marginally better playing via joystick (keyboard on WinUAE) than mouse.

Score: 181,600

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zeewolf_Demo.png
Views:	325
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	29082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeewolf_LW_181600.png
Views:	342
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	29083  

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 12 July 2011 at 23:45. Reason: ADF is demo version!
Old 13 July 2011, 13:57   #6
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Lonewolf: Bad luck on discovering the ADF was a demo, I'm sure the mods'll be able to fix that ASAP.

I found the controls tricky to begin with but now they're almost second nature to me - the tip is to move in straight lines or diagonally, or using long sweeps - but avoid trying to make sharp turns over targets as the inertia will play havoc. Besides, if you're over a gun and miss it, if you do a sharp turn you'll be heading straight into the gunsights, so it's better to sweep around it and approach from the guns' blind side. Joystick is definitely the way to go. The good news is that after completing that demo you should now be really good at the full game, 'cus the actual game is very easy for the first 10 levels or so

It'll take about a week to get really good; so the EAB crew are certainly way ahead of the Lemmoners at this stage
Old 13 July 2011, 19:34   #7
Graham Humphrey

Whoops! Sorry about that. The filename did not state at all it was a demo (although when you load it up, it does say 'coverdisk' on the title screen - should have tested it first). I've replaced the link with a full version (tested this time).

Unfortunately, Lonewolf10, your score doesn't count as I believe the demo missions are different to the full game. Apologies.
Old 13 July 2011, 20:04   #8
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Whoops! Sorry about that. The filename did not state at all it was a demo (although when you load it up, it does say 'coverdisk' on the title screen - should have tested it first). I've replaced the link with a full version (tested this time).
I missed the 'coverdisk' bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Unfortunately, Lonewolf10, your score doesn't count as I believe the demo missions are different to the full game. Apologies.
Well, there is only 1 level in the demo with multiple missions to accomplish (cycled through on the map screen by pressing Escape).
I was certainly wondering how lifeschool and mailman were getting such high scores with it being so tough.

I certainly hope the full game starts off with easier levels
Will download the new ADF shortly.

Added 15th July @ 22:52:

Yup, the first few missions are an awful lot easier. I also found a PDF of the manual online here. For those that don't wish to download it, the important bits are:

Code:
Game Controls
spacebar - changes selected weapon (cannon, rocket, missile etc.)
G - landing gear up/down
P - pause (any key restarts)
H - hook (when above suitable targets)
Escape - aborts current mission
F10 - aborts game
Enter - bring up tactics screen (NB: Does not pause game)
Cursor keys up/down - required control method (mouse or joystick), start 
                      mission, or to cycle through mission objectives on
                      tactics screen
Cursor keys left/right - decrease/increase ammunitions carried when refuelling
CTRL - changes control method during play (mouse or joystick)

Edit2:

I have no luck with this game. Just spent the last 5 hours playing it (one long go), accumulated a decent score of around $700,000 (with 3 lives left), only to have the game crash on me. I also forgot to save pics as I went along, grrr.

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Last edited by Lonewolf10; 16 July 2011 at 03:57.
Old 16 July 2011, 18:33   #9
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
I accumulated a decent score of around $700,000 (with 3 lives left), only to have the game crash on me. I also forgot to save pics as I went along, grrr. Lonewolf10
That is such bad, bad luck my friend. I sure hope you persevere with the game so you can begin to enjoy it. I'd love to see more folks trying this out; so I can give tips and advice on difficult levels if they get stuck. I've posted a few tips already on the Lemon compo page .
Old 17 July 2011, 01:57   #10
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
That is such bad, bad luck my friend. I sure hope you persevere with the game so you can begin to enjoy it.
I played it again today... took me hours, but I beat my previous scores by miles

Quote:
I've posted a few tips already on the Lemon compo page .
Ok, will check them out later, thanks.

I made it to mission 23, the one where they were having peace talks and the enemy shot our guys down. Our job is to find and recover them. I only found two groups of our guys, but 2 men got killed (one by me and one by the enemy). I didn't find any other people to pick up, and the tactics screen gives you no clues. Do you know how many men we have to rescue on that mission, Lilfeschool?
I had 5 or 6 lives when I started it, but lost many lives either trying to find our men, or trying to clear a safe place to land.

I loved the level where you could let 2 tanks do all the work whilst I sat back and watched!

Score: 3,540,750

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zeewolf_LW_3540750.png
Views:	350
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	29112  
Old 17 July 2011, 15:48   #11
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Well well, a score beater!

Quote:
I made it to mission 23, the one where they were having peace talks and the enemy shot our guys down. Do you know how many men we have to rescue on that mission, Lilfeschool?
When you see my Lemon post you'll discover I also threw away life after life on 23 for the very same reasons as you! There are six guys on the level, and as the introduction brief says: you must rescue ALL SIX. If any one of them gets killed by mistake, you'll have to press 'Escape' to restart the level again...

Zeewolf Level 23 tips: Set off and head north, avoiding everything on the approach to the island. You'll then find a missile battery protected by a radar unit. You must destroy this 'watchdog' unit first or basically you're history! Then destroy the rest of the missile battery (lose a life). Head slightly north-east from the battery, and then turn east by the crash site until you discover a similar rocket battery and a watchdog near the east coast, get rid of it! (lose another life). Then head back to the downed helicopter and this time it is under attack by 6 tanks invading from all directions - wade in there and destroy them, taking care to aim AWAY from the men. Take out the gun boat to the south, then head north a little bit and remove the tank and helicopter waitng there (lose another life). Now you should be able to fly north from the restart point and pick up all six guys in one go in relative safety.

That's the 3 life method, but if it says 'friendly killed' you'll have to press escape and lose another 3 lives to get to the same point. If you're struggling, try to avoid the second battery altogether and consentrate on the helicopters buzzing around, but don't wait too long or the tanks will come in and start driving all over your men.

Quote:
I loved the level where you could let 2 tanks do all the work whilst I sat back and watched! Score: 3,540,750
Really good work, I bet you're liking the game right now? Yeah, is it level 20 or 21 where you have two tanks on the carrier which you have to swing into action?? That level took me ages to figure out until I realised I must clear a path to the first base so that my first tank can attack it safely.

I WAS going to play Ruff n Tumble today, but I think this takes priority

Last edited by lifeschool; 17 July 2011 at 19:51.
Old 17 July 2011, 23:36   #12
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Well well, a score beater!

When you see my Lemon post you'll discover I also threw away life after life on 23 for the very same reasons as you! There are six guys on the level, and as the introduction brief says: you must rescue ALL SIX. If any one of them gets killed by mistake, you'll have to press 'Escape' to restart the level again...
The problem with the brief and tactics screen, is that neither give you the full picture. Whilst it may say how many men to rescue in the mission brief, it gives you so much information that it's hard to remember it all. Then in the tactics screen it just gives basic information.

Quote:
Zeewolf Level 23 tips: Set off and head north, avoiding everything on the approach to the island. You'll then find a missile battery protected by a radar unit. You must destroy this 'watchdog' unit first or basically you're history! Then destroy the rest of the missile battery (lose a life). Head slightly north-east from the battery, and then turn east by the crash site until you discover a similar rocket battery and a watchdog near the east coast, get rid of it! (lose another life). Then head back to the downed helicopter and this time it is under attack by 6 tanks invading from all directions - wade in there and destroy them, taking care to aim AWAY from the men. Take out the gun boat to the south, then head north a little bit and remove the tank and helicopter waitng there (lose another life). Now you should be able to fly north from the restart point and pick up all six guys in one go in relative safety.
Is that why the men were split up, because I didn;t take out the watchdogs?

Quote:
Really good work, I bet you're liking the game right now? Yeah, is it level 20 or 21 where you have two tanks on the carrier which you have to swing into action?? That level took me ages to figure out until I realised I must clear a path to the first base so that my first tank can attack it safely.
Yup, that's the one. I didn't clear any paths. I just carried 2 tanks over and let them do all the work! On the few occasions I did try and help them out, I kept getting shot down - it's basically all air defenses on that level.
At one point I thought one of my tanks had been destroyed, but I finished the level with 2 tanks. Either it got replaced, or there is a 3rd tank somewhere in the area.

More Tips

There is one additional tip we haven't mentioned. Where possible, pick up and drop off any men picked up first, otherwise sometimes the mission ends and not all due money/score is accredited to you. For example, if you only need 4 out of 6 men to complete a mission, by the time the 4th guy gets into safety the mission ends, and you don't get accredited for rescuing the other 2!

On early levels, destroy everything for maximum score, but on later levels concentrate on the main targets or you risk wasting ammo and/or lives.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 18 July 2011, 04:27   #13
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Lonewolf,

. Remembering the brief - I was going to say write it down, but ya know, it comes with experience also...

. The men split up, three to the left, three to the right of the crash site (L23) (perhaps as you approach them, or perhaps they split from the beginning?). There must be a quick and easy way to do this level, I just haven't found it

Delivering guys: somehow my whd version of the game allows all six guys to walk in before the mission complete screen appears, although I do remember my original amiga disk version had this problem. Perhaps it affects the ADF too?

. I would say initially priority number one is to learn* the levels, but after that it becomes essential to conserve those precious lives for later.
-------------------
* ya know, if you don't know the territory, you can't plan the war.

Last edited by lifeschool; 18 July 2011 at 04:36.
Old 18 July 2011, 21:38   #14
Lonewolf10

Quote:
Lonewolf,

. Remembering the brief - I was going to say write it down, but ya know, it comes with experience also...
I agree with that. On playing the first few levels they took me a few hours, but once I know what I was doing that time was cut by about half.

Quote:
. The men split up, three to the left, three to the right of the crash site (L23) (perhaps as you approach them, or perhaps they split from the beginning?). There must be a quick and easy way to do this level, I just haven't found it
The problem is that by the time we have reached this level we are mentally and physically drained, plus it's covered by bad guys everywhere you fly and the enemy fighters start using missiles on us too

Quote:
Delivering guys: somehow my whd version of the game allows all six guys to walk in before the mission complete screen appears, although I do remember my original amiga disk version had this problem. Perhaps it affects the ADF too?
Hmmm... could it be a timing issue? (e.g. using a slow CPU (68000) vs. a faster CPU (68040) depending on how the games timer waits - VBL's or internal clock?)

Quote:
. I would say initially priority number one is to learn* the levels, but after that it becomes essential to conserve those precious lives for later.
-------------------
* ya know, if you don't know the territory, you can't plan the war.
Agreed. I suppose we could use the passwords to access later levels for practicing and then start from the beginning once we know how to do them?

Anyone else going to try and challenge us?

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 23 July 2011, 08:26   #15
mailman
Zone Friend

Level 23 is really tough. But I will keep trying saving more lives in the previous levels.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	025.png
Views:	325
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	29156  
Old 23 July 2011, 12:49   #16
mailman
Zone Friend

I made it! But level 24 is a real killer. You have to get ammo (which is tricky) and then you have only two and a half attempts to do it (no matter how many spare lives you have). I think I won't make it through this level.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	026.png
Views:	322
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	29157  
Old 24 July 2011, 19:02   #17
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Mailman: Excellent, you're making real progress! I will have to double my efforts to beat you! Yes, it seems after level 21 things get really tough. I think there are only 30 levels in the game...? Level 24 is really hard, even compared to 23, but there are ways around it. I don't really want to write too many walkthrus for the opposing team; but I will say it's up to you how much ammo you take with you - if you die and end up losing the whole lot then that's up to you.

Will try again soon

Last edited by lifeschool; 24 July 2011 at 19:17.
Old 24 July 2011, 20:36   #18
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Mailman: Excellent, you're making real progress! I will have to double my efforts to beat you! Yes, it seems after level 21 things get really tough.
Thanks. I played a lot in both Zeewolf 1 and Zeewolf 2 in the past. Great games and beautiful memories that now are coming back. Though, in Zeewolf 1 I never managed to get so far. This is my first time I reached level 24.

Quote:
I think there are only 30 levels in the game...?
Each Zeewolf has 32 levels.

Quote:
Level 24 is really hard, even compared to 23, but there are ways around it. I don't really want to write too many walkthrus for the opposing team; but I will say it's up to you how much ammo you take with you - if you die and end up losing the whole lot then that's up to you.
Ah, you are right. You can deal with it that way... I'll give it a try next time. It's pretty time consuming to reach that level so probably it'll happen next weekend.
Old 24 July 2011, 21:34   #19
capehorn

I feel a bit sheepish since you are all talking about level 23 and I am about to ask about level 3!

Gave this a go for the first time just now. On level 3 the mission is to guide two friendly copters to the carrier. I went to meet them, the first one took off I guided it home. I went to get the second one and it just remains landed. I don't know what I have to do to get it to take off so I can guide it home. How does this work?
Old 24 July 2011, 21:48   #20
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
I feel a bit sheepish since you are all talking about level 23 and I am about to ask about level 3!

Gave this a go for the first time just now. On level 3 the mission is to guide two friendly copters to the carrier. I went to meet them, the first one took off I guided it home. I went to get the second one and it just remains landed. I don't know what I have to do to get it to take off so I can guide it home. How does this work?
That is exactly what happened to me, I tried landing next to it, shooting it and flying into it but it wouldn't take off.