English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 October 2020, 17:44   #1
ScottC2010

PCMCIA, Folder with 3.X problem

Hi,
I have put 3.X 45.064 in my A1200 - i have copied the workbench.library to the correct folder
When i boot and open one of my folders it says in the title (For example when opening the system folder) System error while copying '' as the folder name
Also when i put my cf card in it, nothing happens (I can't see the card and i have tried in the shell cd cf0: and it replies bad number)
Old 14 October 2020, 20:33   #2
solarmon

I'm not sure what you mean by the workbench.liveaet issue, but to use the PCMCIA slot with a CF card, you need the CFD and FAT95 drivers. And the CF must be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32.

There are also an 8MB Fast ram conflict issue, so if you have an 8MB memory expansion this must be turned off or changed to 4MB mode.
Old 14 October 2020, 22:56   #3
ScottC2010

Thanks,
I'll take a look at this - but it's odd that it works with 8MB under the Kickstart 3.0 previously - is this a 3.1/3.x issue?
(workbench.library is needed in the workbench libs folder as the kickstart 3.x roms don't have it in the rom whereas 3.0 contains it in the kickstart rom)
Old 15 October 2020, 01:02   #4
ScottC2010

Looks like there's an issue with the 8MB and 3.1 when trying to use my CF card in the PCMCIA - is there a good fix (The card is a Hawk) - i've tried http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=226
but when i put in my card it crashes
Old 15 October 2020, 08:37   #5
solarmon

Kickstart 3.1 introduced a "feature' that disables the PCMCIA interface when it detects 8MB of Zorro II Fast ram.

The cardres patch is meant remove that 'feature', but I have not tried it.
Old 15 October 2020, 11:30   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC2010 View Post
but when i put in my card it crashes
What exactly crashes and how?

Does it crash if you boot with the card inserted, too?
Old 15 October 2020, 15:04   #7
ScottC2010

Hi
The power led flashed and then screengoes black - yes it crashes with the card inserted on boot too

I am looking into making a ustom rom from my 3.X 45.064 and using the carddisk.resouce and carddisk.device from the 3.0 original rom - tried romsplit but the 3.X isn't supported (Is there any other way to do it or add support to romsplit for the rom?)
Thanks
Old 15 October 2020, 17:22   #8
Daedalus

3.X ROMs are already a custom ROM made from parts of the 3.1 ROM and 3rd party patches and replacements. This might explain why ROMSplit doesn't support it. Maybe you could start from 3.0 or 3.1 and update the necessary components as you need?
Old 15 October 2020, 17:31   #9
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
and update the necessary components as you need?
Cloanto made contracts with the respective authors. Some components have been updated beyond the publicly available versions.
Old 15 October 2020, 18:59   #10
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Kickstart 3.1 introduced a "feature' that disables the PCMCIA interface when it detects 8MB of Zorro II Fast ram.
That feature is has a very good reason, namely that the PCMCIA-area overlaps with the RAM area, and the problem is that there is nothing the operating system can do if someone inserts a PCMCIA card that maps into this region. In other words, if there is code or data in the upper 4MB of your ram, and you insert a card *without* the PCMCIA slot being disabled, the system will crash immediately as the hardware swaps out the RAM and replaces it by the memory on the card. Without anything or anyone being able to react. Even worse: While some PCMCIA cards can operate both as memory device and as I/O device, with the latter not creating a conflict, the PCMCIA specs require(!) that the default function a device gets when you insert it into the slot is that of acting as a memory device, and it is the host computer that has to active its "second nature" as I/O device. Hence, even if you would insert a card that could prevent the conflict by also offering a pure I/O type function, it is still mapped as memory device when you insert it - and then crashes the system. This is all not so obvious to see, and one of the problems I unfortunately created when modifying the card.resource for 3.1.4.
Old 15 October 2020, 19:12   #11
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Cloanto made contracts with the respective authors. Some components have been updated beyond the publicly available versions.
Is there any good reason for using 3.X? I have the feeling it is the worst ROM you can get.
Old 15 October 2020, 20:39   #12
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Is there any good reason for using 3.X?
No.
Old 17 October 2020, 00:23   #13
ScottC2010

I have now made a custom rom: using my other rom i have which is an official 3.1 rom and then using amitools i created the new rom using the card.resource and card.device from the 3.0 rom - i have tested it on winuae and it works - can i use skick on the Amiga 1200 which has 3.X and then softboot the custom rom when i need to use pcmcia?
Or alternatively use the card.device and card.resouce i have extracted and load those from startup using LoadModule?

Last edited by ScottC2010; 17 October 2020 at 02:06. Reason: Add info about LoadModule
Old 17 October 2020, 09:56   #14
Jope
-

Skick will only work if you have a relocation file for your custom ROM. I'm not aware of a tool for generating these.

Basically you should be able to downgrade the card.resource by loading it with the downgrade keyword:

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/LoadModule

The card.resource is the module where the shutdown happens if your RAM overlaps the PCMCIA memory area.
Old 23 October 2020, 22:31   #15
ScottC2010

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Skick will only work if you have a relocation file for your custom ROM. I'm not aware of a tool for generating these.

Basically you should be able to downgrade the card.resource by loading it with the downgrade keyword:

http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/LoadModule

The card.resource is the module where the shutdown happens if your RAM overlaps the PCMCIA memory area.
Thanks for the this extra info
Old 08 November 2020, 01:26   #16
ScottC2010

Finally tried this (LoadModule) and it works so i am very happy now