English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 May 2017, 13:44   #1
Toryglen-boy

Vampire II RTG Grafx.

So, the Vampire II has RTG graphics. fantastic, how does that work then? does it have a built in video chip or something? is there any more information on what modes it can, and cant support? does it mean never ending switching channels on my monitor?

any thoughts on real world usage, greatly appreciated
Old 28 May 2017, 14:33   #2
R-Typer

Also, analogue RGB port, can it be used with Vampire installed on A500 or are we stuck with hdmi and LCD monitors? Cause I want to use a proper crt monitor.
Old 28 May 2017, 15:02   #3
Sinphaltimus

AFAIK - The RTG is handled on the Vampire board HDMI @ 720p but this is not supported on many games and some aps - those output to the RGB port. I've seen video on youtube with folks demo'ing the Vampire and you can see the HDMI port go blank on occasion then they switch inputs on the monitor to show older Amiga resolutions running via the RGB port. Not fully integrated. You'll need two screens or a single that supports the required inputs.

EDIT: I think it doesn't do this with WHLoad which outputs to HDMI - I could be mistaken.
Old 28 May 2017, 15:49   #4
Signman

Possibly the next firmware will output all through hdmi using saga.
I have two monitors and even using whdload, all games output to rgb.

There was talk about a device called parasite that would grab rgb output amd send to hdmi.
With new revisions coming, that may not be needed.
Old 28 May 2017, 15:54   #5
ShK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Possibly the next firmware will output all through hdmi using saga.
Some early testing:
Old 28 May 2017, 16:14   #6
Spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toryglen-boy View Post
So, the Vampire II has RTG graphics. fantastic, how does that work then? does it have a built in video chip or something? is there any more information on what modes it can, and cant support? does it mean never ending switching channels on my monitor?

any thoughts on real world usage, greatly appreciated
The graphic card functionality is part of the FPGA core and can be used by workbench etc and any Amiga screen mode is displayed as normal (RGB, Composite, Flicker fixer etc) . There is development to replicate the AGA modes within in the FPGA and output via HDMI.

Old 28 May 2017, 17:46   #7
Sinphaltimus

How does that work with Mouse and Keyboard? When RGB is being used does the M/KB only work there? And vise versa? When RTG is being used does the mouse/Keyboard only work on that screen?
Old 28 May 2017, 17:50   #8
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShK View Post
Some early testing:
SWEET! Will that work in all Screen modes? NTSC? In other words, is all video output now coming through the HDMI (and RGB) even native applications? A duplicated screen at all times?
Old 28 May 2017, 17:53   #9
Spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
How does that work with Mouse and Keyboard? When RGB is being used does the M/KB only work there? And vise versa? When RTG is being used does the mouse/Keyboard only work on that screen?
Its on the active screen and switches with the change of focus.
Old 28 May 2017, 17:55   #10
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Its on the active screen and switches with the change of focus.
So you change focus with a KB shortcut? Or does it detect the mouse moving off the side of the screen? Just curious, want to know what to expect when it arrives. for me, I'm going to have RGB(Video Out) and HDMI on same monitor.
Old 28 May 2017, 18:08   #11
Spacemonkey

Quote:
So you change focus with a KB shortcut? Or does it detect the mouse moving off the side of the screen? Just curious, want to know what to expect when it arrives. for me, I'm going to have RGB(Video Out) and HDMI on same monitor.
For the things i've tested the keyboard and mouse are locked within the screen unless something forces it to change. like using the depth gadget to move to a Public Screen and Custom Screen or an application hot key, sgrab is a good example
Old 28 May 2017, 19:25   #12
Jope
-

Quote:
The regular keyboard shortcuts (lamiga-m/n) for swapping screens work here, as does the depth gadget in the top right corner of the screen.

It's not like a multi monitor setup you would experience with a modern OS. The stack of custom screens is managed by the OS, as always on an Amiga. The only difference in an RTG machine is, that some screens are RTG and some are not. If you swap to a screen that is an RTG screen, the mouse pointer and keyboard work in the monitor connected to the RTG output. If you swap to a screen that runs on the Amiga's chipset, then the mouse and keyboard go to your 15kHz monitor.

The last screen remaining visible on either monitor is just a side effect, it's usually not very useful.

This is exactly the same behaviour as you got back in the day when you installed a graphics board with no monitor switch into your big box Amiga.

I'm assuming you're familiar otherwise with the Amiga's screen stack style of managing different applications.
Old 28 May 2017, 19:30   #13
Sinphaltimus

@Jope - Ok, I understand now, thanks. I never had a big box Amiga. Only the A500. So these things are foreign to me but I get it now. Something I'll have to get used to at least until GOLD 3 is available. It looks like it won't matter after that from what I can tell. (see SHK's Video - )
Old 29 May 2017, 05:14   #14
Toryglen-boy

nice. is the video performance comparable to anything?
Old 29 May 2017, 17:28   #15
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toryglen-boy View Post
nice. is the video performance comparable to anything?
Video performance depends on use of the AMMX vector ops. The first P96 driver came out before those were finalized so a new driver update is necessary to implement the full capabilities of the Apollo SoC. Drivers are in the works.
Old 30 May 2017, 09:17   #16
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Video performance depends on use of the AMMX vector ops. The first P96 driver came out before those were finalized so a new driver update is necessary to implement the full capabilities of the Apollo SoC. Drivers are in the works.
i dont understand a word of that, but it sounds absolutely minted.