English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 May 2009, 17:26   #1
mattbarton.exe

Smile Matt's "Lemmings" Review on YouTube

Hi, guys! I decided to return to the Amiga platform for this week's Matt Chat: Lemmings! This game is one of my all-time favorite Amiga games, and it's still very fun to play today. Enjoy!

[ Show youtube player ]

I was able to capture the Amiga footage using FRAPS and Win-UAE, with the frame refresh rate set to every 2nd frame. For some reason, trying to capture every frame ruined the audio. I honestly can't tell much difference in the video anyway.

P.S. I'm probably going to cover Civilization next.
Old 02 May 2009, 17:42   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Again a really nice one Matt Thumbsup for putting the whole intro in your vid
WinUAE has a built-in video capture function. Look at the Output window. Maybe this is helpful next time, but the video looked fine even with frameskip set to 2.
Old 02 May 2009, 17:55   #3
mattbarton.exe

I used the built-in video capture on Defender of the Crown, but I think it's actually easier just to use fraps. I had the same audio problem with the built-in video capture anyway.
Old 02 May 2009, 18:01   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hope it's a Lemmings only problem then
Old 02 May 2009, 18:58   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
I used the built-in video capture on Defender of the Crown, but I think it's actually easier just to use fraps. I had the same audio problem with the built-in video capture anyway.
Did you check the video after recording? Audio problems during capture won't be recorded if you do it properly

(properly as in not using something like 800x600 uncompressed..)
Old 02 May 2009, 20:57   #6
Predabot

Another interesting episode Matt. Especially interesting was the history about the company that made Lemmings! I had no idea they came up with the concept of Grand Theft Auto. Talk about a 360 degree turn from Lemmings! 0_o
Old 03 May 2009, 03:24   #7
mattbarton.exe

You are right, Toni, I was able to record the audio and stuff fine if I selected the option not to play audio during recording and skipping 2nd frames.

Predabot - that's exactly what I was thinking. Lemmings <> GTA! However, I see similar campy violence in Lemmings to the first GTA, though admittedly more silly and cartoony. I guess it's possible that some people who play Lemmings enjoy seeing the little guys get blown up or smushed, though that always bothered me. I always wanted to save all of them, including the blockers who end up getting exploded.
Old 03 May 2009, 20:18   #8
Amiga1992

Hey Matt,

I wanted to congratulate you on yoru videos, they are pretty cool, and I will be looking forward to acquire your book as well. Videogame history needs to be preserved and I am happy people are looking into this. Did you see that videogame museum in upstate New York? It's open for researchers and it's got a shit load of material that could be helpful to you!

I just watched the Oregon Trail video... that's a game famous only to american people, for I have never heard of it until last July when me and my girlfriend found a stray iMac G3 in front of our house and when we took it home all she wanted to play was Oregon Trail and she taught me about it and how everyone knows this game up there. It was fun to play, for sure the most entertaining educational game I ever played!

Keep up the great work!
Old 03 May 2009, 21:09   #9
extralife

wooooot it's here, finally. Im going to have a peek at your lemmings review right now m8
Old 03 May 2009, 21:26   #10
extralife

LOL this was an awesome episode, I was laughing my ass off when u said your wife was slowly taking over the lemmings haha, that surely proves that this is one of the absolute greatest games of all time, great episode matt
Old 04 May 2009, 02:35   #11
mattbarton.exe

Wow, thanks for all the great comments, guys! Lemmings is just one of those games that has stood the test of time and will always be fun.

I'm so happy that you all like my Matt Chats. It's a lot of work, but seeing these comments makes it all worth it.
Old 04 May 2009, 02:56   #12
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Great stuff Matt keep it up!

More amiga games please.
Old 04 May 2009, 03:28   #13
mattbarton.exe

Well, I have to admit, out of the videos I've done, the Amiga, and Atari ST ones got the most attention and discussion. I'm the sort of guy who likes tinkering around with every system, but it does seem that these two communities are more enthusiastic and that makes a huge difference.
Old 04 May 2009, 03:47   #14
Amiga1992

Nah, fuck "more Amiga", just cover what you think is best! And through as many platforms as possible. How about some japanese gaming there?

Keep it up!
Old 04 May 2009, 07:43   #15
extralife

Well i wouldnt mind seeing a mattchat of the last ninja for the old breadbox simply becoz i played through the second one yesterday and I still think its one heck of a game, so many years after.....yea..... and I for one am still puzzled as to why all other conversions of this game can suck so much ass, when the c64 versions are so damn awesome.....do do do dooo do do do do do dooo
Old 04 May 2009, 08:14   #16
Sensi
Unregistered User

I agree with Akira.

If I could put in a good word for a game, I would say ... Laser Squad, originally released for ZX Spectrum, mother of all UFO like games.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:24   #17
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Great vid Matt, moar Amiga gamez please
Old 04 May 2009, 10:26   #18
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

blergh, dont do any zx spectrum games and if you do go japanese maybe check out the x68000 or that other NEC computer thing PCFX?.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:48   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You should make one of Toejam & Earl Matt Oh and maybe one of *cough* Turrican 2 *cough*
Old 04 May 2009, 13:52   #20
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
Well, I have to admit, out of the videos I've done, the Amiga, and Atari ST ones got the most attention and discussion. I'm the sort of guy who likes tinkering around with every system, but it does seem that these two communities are more enthusiastic and that makes a huge difference.
just bought your vintage book from amazon.ca (it was the last one in store!!! we, canadians, are so superior !!!)