English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 September 2016, 20:01   #1
Graham Humphrey

I need a new Amiga game to develop - any requests?

Hello all.

As some of you may know, I have been writing Maxwell Mouse (a Dizzy-style platform/puzzle thing) for some time now. It's taking a long time because of the difficulty in sourcing graphics - it's a big game and about five people have done various things for it but it's hard to find one or two people to truly commit to it which is frustrating. Likewise, I miss working on something that develops quickly and tangibly, so I've decided I want a little side project to keep me satisfied.

Some of you may recall I did this years ago and ended up with Downfall. Well, I want to do something similar this time, taking a concept, coding it and sharing the code and development with you all as it happens. When it's done, all the code (hopefully fully commented) and assets will be made freely available, perhaps inspiring others with any luck.

So, has anyone got a concept they'd like to see done on an Amiga? Preferably, something that's not been seen too much on our machine. Any ideas in the world of mobile games, indie games, 'homebrew' (ugh) for other retro systems that could be adapted? Anything that you are especially taken with?

Some guidelines:

- It will be written in Blitz Basic 2.1.

- It needs to be something relatively simple and arcade-like, so it can be written in months as opposed to years.

- It won't be a direct port, it will be a new, made-from-scratch game with the chosen idea in mind.

- It needs to be score-based so it can be played for competition purposes at events (or at least adapted to do so with things like time limits etc, perhaps) like Downfall was, and indeed our very own regular Super League competition on EAB/Lemon.

- Easy to pick up and play (for events like above), e.g. so kids can sit down and have fun with it if they want to.

- Multiplayer potential is optional.

So if anyone has any ideas, I would be most grateful if you would share them here and who knows, it may even give others inspiration too, if they're looking to keep themselves busy. Thank you everyone
Old 08 September 2016, 20:08   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

How about this genre http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?...subcategory=96 as Amiga have only 2 games and they are not the best I think.
Old 08 September 2016, 20:10   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I miss Squish'em from C64 times.

But I am not sure if it is challenging enough. In fact I think it could use modified Downfall code.
Old 08 September 2016, 20:19   #4
funK

Since you made Downfall, answer is pretty obvious now: Downwell!

Last edited by prowler; 09 September 2016 at 01:21. Reason: Fixed link.
Old 08 September 2016, 20:33   #5
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

A Super Crate Box-inspired shooter for up to 4 playerts should be not too hard to code...
Old 08 September 2016, 20:53   #6
Amigajay

[ Show youtube player ]

A Bejeweled clone, like the one someone made for the Atari ST above, but with at least the movement animation added, looks weird without it!
Old 08 September 2016, 22:14   #7
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funK View Post
Since you made Downfall, answer is pretty obvious now: Downwell!
The start of that link is messed up (the "http://" bit is duplicated). It should point to here:

http://www.devolverdigital.com/games/view/downwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
A Bejeweled clone, like the one someone made for the Atari ST above, but with at least the movement animation added, looks weird without it!
No animation in it? Tut tut!

Whatever you do Graham, don't do a version of noughts & crosses (tic tac toe)... I'm a few weeks away from releasing mine! (Standard rules + a few new tweaks )

Last edited by prowler; 09 September 2016 at 01:22. Reason: Fixed original link.
Old 08 September 2016, 22:43   #8
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

There are two Amiga clones of Bejeweled already. It's Amijeweled and Change It.
Old 08 September 2016, 22:46   #9
Gordon
Settler

Snake game please
Old 08 September 2016, 22:57   #10
amiman99

How about port of "Mr Driller" please!!
Old 08 September 2016, 23:02   #11
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Snake game please
I think we already have enough

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/list...nre=Worm/Snake
Old 08 September 2016, 23:34   #12
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

How about something like Mad Bomber, you could make the backgrounds more interesting, a few power-ups, like a slow-time thingy, AI assisted catcher?.. You could even make it two player, player 1 controlling the bomb direction at the top and player 2 catching them?..

http://hol.abime.net/5932
Old 09 September 2016, 00:27   #13
eXeler0

How about an 2.5D "infinite runner". Could be interesting to explore technically.. Maybe something "Mode7" esque but done as an infinite runner.
Old 09 September 2016, 00:39   #14
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
There are two Amiga clones of Bejeweled already. It's Amijeweled and Change It.
AmiJeweled looks nice but looks to me RTG only, and Changit is Os4 only? no love for X68 AGA!?
Old 09 September 2016, 01:02   #15
Solo Kazuki

Change It have four versions: AmigaOS3 (68k), AmigaOS4, MorphOS and AROS. 68k version work on RTG or AGA. Additionally you have lots of skins.

Btw: X68?
Old 09 September 2016, 08:14   #16
Graham Humphrey

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'll respond properly to some of these later but feel free to keep them coming.

There are some interesting ones here so far - the Super Crate Box one in particular. I think the Amiga has a lot of Snake-style games so I will steer away from that. Bejeweled probably doesn't have a version that runs on a stock Amiga but I think that will be some way down my list to be honest.

Will do a bit more research on some of the others tonight - hopefully by then I'll have some more to look into and think about
Old 09 September 2016, 10:42   #17
Daedalus

I envy your position I've too many projects on the go and not enough time to work on any of them! One idea I've had for quite a while (but haven't started yet) is an Amiga version of Hokra. It's a party game (part of the Sports Friends bundle) and a very simple concept, but a lot of fun to play. It doesn't really lend itself to single player as it is, but it could be possible to take the vague idea of keeping a ball inside certain coloured areas for as long as possible and combining it with a scrolling infinite runner to get a scorable, single-player game.

If you don't do it, I might get around to it some time around 2025
Old 09 September 2016, 10:58   #18
jolly11

arkanoid with 2 players co-op
Old 09 September 2016, 11:28   #19
idrougge

Door Door is a cute arcade platformer, but half of the charm of the game is in the graphics: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 September 2016, 11:30   #20
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Change It have four versions: AmigaOS3 (68k), AmigaOS4, MorphOS and AROS. 68k version work on RTG or AGA. Additionally you have lots of skins.

Btw: X68?
Change it is not really great. Bejeweled clone is cool idea actually, but make it Bejeweled Blitz with online score board.
There are even some other modifications in original Bejeweled Blitz that I enjoyed very much too.

Last edited by ExiE; 09 September 2016 at 11:49.