English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 12 April 2016, 17:18   #261
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
No. I will follow the gotek function : One button for +1, the other for +10
Please reconsider. What if you have a game where you swap back and forth between disk 1 and 2?
Old 12 April 2016, 17:21   #262
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I have a Gotek with Cortex firmware that I plan to upgrade to HxC, however I cannot get the STM software to connect.
1. Make sure there is a good power supply for the drive. My laptop couldn't flash the Gotek reliably when running on battery power.
2. Try to toggle the reset pins when connected.
Old 12 April 2016, 17:30   #263
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
1. Make sure there is a good power supply for the drive. My laptop couldn't flash the Gotek reliably when running on battery power.
2. Try to toggle the reset pins when connected.
1. The computer is running on AC and the voltage measures 5.01V.
2. Did that countless times. Only makes it go back to reporting 'unrecognized device'.
Old 12 April 2016, 17:40   #264
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001
No. I will follow the gotek function : One button for +1, the other for +10
Please reconsider. What if you have a game where you swap back and forth between disk 1 and 2?
Sounds like there is some confusion..
I think Jeff thinks that the Gotek doesn't go forward and backward with the 2 buttons.
It does, and this is a feature I use a lot.
Most of the times I'm using it, I flip among a small batch of images.
Either back and forth for multi-disk games (which is pretty common for Amiga games ;-), or back and forth in genres...
(i.e. I have a bunch of different kickstarts and WB images in my first batch (genre) and I will frequently just be going back and forth in those while testing things..)

I block my images on my Gotek by genre.
1-10 is Kickstarts/WB/data (xfer) disks
11-20 is classic Amiga games
21-30 is shooters, etc
(I change them around from time to time for some reason I'm not sure of myself.. ;-)

desiv
Old 12 April 2016, 17:43   #265
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Sounds like there is some confusion..
I think Jeff thinks that the Gotek doesn't go forward and backward with the 2 buttons.
It does, and this is a feature I use a lot.
The original Gotek firmware does not, only the Cortex one does.
The original firmware does +1 on the left button, +10 on the right and +100 on both. You have to cycle around to go backwards.
Old 12 April 2016, 17:47   #266
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The original Gotek firmware does not, only the Cortex one does.
The original firmware does +1 on the left button, +10 on the right and +100 on both. You have to cycle around to go backwards.
Ah..

But as no one uses the original Gotek firmware on their Amiga and this recent discussion is about the difference between Cortex and HxC, why would that matter and/or come into the conversation at all???

desiv
Old 12 April 2016, 18:51   #267
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Ah..

But as no one uses the original Gotek firmware on their Amiga and this recent discussion is about the difference between Cortex and HxC, why would that matter and/or come into the conversation at all???

desiv
The true original gotek firmware use the +1/+10/+100 scheme, and this is what some users asked me. This is why this come into the conversation.
Old 12 April 2016, 20:23   #268
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
The true original gotek firmware use the +1/+10/+100 scheme, and this is what some users asked me. This is why this come into the conversation.
Some users want a +1/+10/+100 scheme instead of a back and forth option?! Amiga users?? Really??? Well, I'll tell you right now that it makes absolutely no sense at all for an Amiga user to want such a thing because many games require the player to change between all disks several times.

I will let you know right now that if you implement this scheme, without the option to go back to previous slots using the Gotek's buttons, I will stop updating my HxC Gotek because it will be a huge step back. The selector/firmware is quite good as it stands, with only minor adjustments required, so the implementation of that scheme defeats its qualities.

Is it because of the cycling speed spoken before? you can have both. If the Cortex firmware does it, surely there's a way for you to do it as well. In the Cortex firmware (sometimes I have the sense that you haven't tried a Cortex Gotek before) you can go back and forth at will using the two buttons (simple clicks), pressing and keeping a button pressed will make it go forth or backwards (depending on the button that is pressed) with increasing speed and pressing both buttons at the same times resets to slot 000. This is a very useful and practical way of operating the Gotek, given the physical limitations of the hardware.

I hope you can take this into consideration before you do any new updates to your fine HxC firmware or file selector.

Thanks.
Old 12 April 2016, 21:00   #269
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
The selector/firmware is quite good as it stands, with only minor adjustments required, so the implementation of that scheme defeats its qualities.
ahhhh So all is fine finally ?

Yes some HxC Gotek users ask for this. You can read it on the hxc forum... But every user have his fancy...

But calm down and avoid the blackmail, this is just a discussion (kind of...)

Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001; 12 April 2016 at 21:12.
Old 12 April 2016, 21:30   #270
turrican9

Going backwards button is a must for multidisk games. Removing this would be crazy. Who cares what a stock Gotek with PC firmware does. Cortex firmware has got this right for Amiga. Also keep in mind that the Cortex firmware is free and HXC firmware cost money. Why should I pay for something that works inferior to what I have?
Old 12 April 2016, 21:57   #271
Jeff_HxC2001

Inferior for you maybe, but for sure many peoples have a different opinion.
Anyway i didn't ask you to take the hxc firmware and you didn't so all is fine.
Old 12 April 2016, 22:02   #272
turrican9

Quote:
Inferior for you maybe, but for sure many peoples have a different opinion.
Anyway i didn't ask you to take the hxc firmware and you didn't so all is fine.
I cannot believe anyone not wanting the other button used for backwards button. And no you didn't ask me to take the HXC firmware, but maybe I would buy it if you changed a few things but hey, that's up to you
Old 12 April 2016, 22:06   #273
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
I cannot believe anyone not wanting the other button used for backwards button. And no you didn't ask me to take the HXC firmware, but maybe I would buy it if you changed a few things but hey, that's up to you
Read the first post :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...hp?f=33&t=1849
Old 12 April 2016, 22:13   #274
turrican9

Quote:
yeah, I read it. But again, the Cortex firmware can cycle through incredible fast by holding the button. And it still manages to have both backwards and forwards buttons. I can promise you that with your method of going click +10 then click for another +10 is much, much slower than when you hold the button with the Cortex firmware. Is it impossible to implement this in the HXC firmware?
Old 12 April 2016, 22:23   #275
desiv

Quote:
I would say I can't believe it either..
But this is the internet... ;-)

I think it's silly.. You have 2 buttons. You can have situations that aren't uncommon that you need to swap forward and backwards for multi-disk games... You probably want multiple directions..

Yes, it is also nice to be able to skip by small (1) or larger increments, but that can be handled by speeding up based on how long you hold the button down....

So in my mind, its obvious which is the best solution..
But then again, the world doesn't always agree with me.. I know.. I know.. It's sad but true..

I appreciate the work you do. And if I ever decide to steal my wife's Windows machine, I might move to your firmware.. Even with the lack of a step back button..

I suppose I could live with that.. ;-)

desiv
Old 13 April 2016, 00:05   #276
Jeff_HxC2001

The fast forward and backward is now available with the index mode (10000 images supported).
Next step : do the same thing with the autoboot/file selector mode.
Old 14 April 2016, 00:07   #277
gorky

Quote:
The fast forward and backward is now available with the index mode (10000 images supported).
Next step : do the same thing with the autoboot/file selector mode.
And this would be "step forward"
I now am trying cortex fw - really navigation is crazy fast!
but saving sth is impossible.

Mhm.., and slot A, B, what are they for? They do not work together, consuming config space, etc
Old 14 April 2016, 01:59   #278
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Just a mere question, Jeff: for A4000 or Cloanto 3.X users, is it possible to load Amiga system files like "workbench.library" or "lowlevel.library" from the Gotek into RAM?
Old 14 April 2016, 09:01   #279
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Just a mere question, Jeff: for A4000 or Cloanto 3.X users, is it possible to load Amiga system files like "workbench.library" or "lowlevel.library" from the Gotek into RAM?
If you create a bootable adf that uses loadmodule to load these..

Given that they support being loaded with loadmodule in the first place.
Old 14 April 2016, 11:13   #280
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky View Post
Mhm.., and slot A, B, what are they for? They do not work together, consuming config space, etc
This is for the SD HxC Floppy emulators : These are able to emulate 2 drives in the same time (DF0 + DF1 or whatever).