English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 September 2008, 09:16   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I got it to run, but I haven't had any luck getting the sound to work. It may be I had a bad copy though, I don't have my original anymore sadly.
That's interesting. You got a decent speed under DosBox? I need to have a look again at that game now I will have the next week free, so I will try to get a good copy and set it up with sound in DosBox. Maybe I was just too 'Doomyfied' back then to see the beauty of this game...
Old 23 September 2008, 09:47   #22
utri007
mä vaan

There should be 68k amiga version of Flashback 2 allso.

When latest Amiga forever was announce they advertised that FlashBack 2 would be bundled with it.

I thought it would be for UEA
Old 23 September 2008, 11:54   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I was quite happy with Fade to Black, I played it till completion. Its wrong to say it wasn't similar to Flashback as it was clearly a 3D version of it, main character was inspired by Flashback, and the puzzle element was very Flashback as well.

Other than the fact it crash if I tried to play it with sound, I liked it a lot, once you got used to the 'laggy' camera angle it played well.

Each to their own.
Old 23 September 2008, 13:08   #24
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I've had F2B working fine under dosbox along with sound.
Old 23 September 2008, 13:10   #25
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
main character was inspired by Flashback
He actually is the same character: Conrad B. Hart.
Old 23 September 2008, 13:38   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I was quite happy with Fade to Black, I played it till completion. Its wrong to say it wasn't similar to Flashback as it was clearly a 3D version of it, main character was inspired by Flashback, and the puzzle element was very Flashback as well.

Other than the fact it crash if I tried to play it with sound, I liked it a lot, once you got used to the 'laggy' camera angle it played well.

Each to their own.

I think you needed a pure SB16, gravis ultrasound or AWE32 to make it work properly. Can't remember now, too long ago I know positively I was playing it with sound using a SB16.

Quote:
That's interesting. You got a decent speed under DosBox?
Well yes, but that is of course highly system dependent I have a core 2 duo E6600 and the game flies at a very constant FPS.
Old 23 September 2008, 14:20   #27
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I still have somewhere original disk, and IIRC I didn't have problems running the game with sound (at the time I had crappy SB compatible card) under Win95. (DOS)

IIRC game starts exactly where Flashback ends, but after many tries I failed to make it even trough first level. Duke Nukem 3D, C&C and Warcraft might be some of the reasons I didn't give it much chance later.

If you have problems running it under DOSBox, try PSX version. (got that somewhere as well )

I might give it a try later this week.

ERM, there is this web site that we are not supposed to mention, that has original F2B CD image...
Old 25 September 2008, 16:09   #28
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I will have a look this evening. Didn't noticed this yet, but didn't had a longer run on the MegaCD version. I don't think that it has FMV though. Maybe I really need to take a longer look
I now played the Sega-CD version of "Shadow of the Beast II" on PSP. At first it seemed to be the first Sega-CD game that wouldn't boot in PicoDrive ("Heart of the Alien" and "Flashback" work fine).
But after checking a "slower, but more compatible"-option SotB2 booted (I could deactivate this option again after it showed the "Psygnosis"-logo).

It has different music. It doesn't sound bad, but the Amiga-soundtrack is vastly superior.

The main sprite looks entirely different and looks like an idiot. Also the "morning star" is smaller and seems to have a slightly shorter range. At least he has quite a few animation frames.

The enemies are like in the Amiga version - the world graphics are also almost identical.

The NPCs that talk to you do so with digitized speech. You don't need to ask them about infos - they'll tell you right away what you need to know (e.g. "lower switch").

I've seen ONE FMV: when you use an elevator-cage there is a (very poor) FMV where you see through the bars of the elevator-cage.

The gameplay seems identical to the Amiga-version. It doesn't seem any easier except for the fact that you have 3 lives instead of just one.

The game works fullspeed on PSP...

I tried "Heart of the Alien". The Intro is awesome. You see lots of the events taking place in "Another World" from Buddy's point of view. Nice. Started playing the game: got killed by the black lion after 5 seconds...

Btw.: On the same disc (iso ) is "Out of this World" (Another World).

I also got "Flashback" for Sega-CD. Instead of the animated polygon-cutscenes of the Amiga-version it has supposedly superior FMVs. But to be honest - these FMVs look like crap...

I now also tried the PS1-version of "Fade to Black" on PSP. The textures aren't that ugly - they're very simplistic which is a good thing. I only solved the first two puzzles and they were nicely done. Doesn't seem so bad - this game.

Currently playing "Silent Hill Orgins" on PSP. Very creepy. After that I'll play through Another World, Heart of the Alien, Flashback and Fade to Black. In that order.
Old 25 September 2008, 16:26   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Also had a look on the version. Have you played it for a longer time john? Maybe there's another FMV sequence later in the game.

For me the title music was quite bad, because it has nothing to do with the original Amiga music. Also the intro looks worse than on the Amiga. So they really changed the game, but not for the better
Old 25 September 2008, 16:32   #30
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Also had a look on the version. Have you played it for a longer time john?
I tried - but always died very quickly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid
For me the title music was quite bad, because it has nothing to do with the original Amiga music. Also the intro looks worse than on the Amiga. So they really changed the game, but not for the better
Yes, the "new" music sucks in comparison. The intro doesn't look much different than the Amiga-version. But it sounds a lot worse because it only has very few sound fx.
Old 25 September 2008, 16:39   #31
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
The intro doesn't look much different than the Amiga-version.
The intro isn't different, but the quality is lower. Maybe it's just me, but the Amiga intro has more colours and runs way smother than the MegaCD one. Anyway, let's just say that the MegaCD version isn't something really impressive to look at if you only the Amiga version.
Old 25 September 2008, 16:55   #32
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
The intro isn't different, but the quality is lower. Maybe it's just me, but the Amiga intro has more colours and runs way smother than the MegaCD one. Anyway, let's just say that the MegaCD version isn't something really impressive to look at if you only the Amiga version.
Well, I haven't seen it on a real MegaCD or Kega Fusion yet. But on the PSP-emulator it's smooth. Only the "text-wall" seemed less colorful to me...

But the Amiga-version is superior in every way possible: better music, better sound-effects, better color-palette (too "nice" colors ingame of the SegaCD-version), better main-sprite, no distracting poor FMVs.

I would say the original Amiga-version of "Shadow of the Beast II" is a piece of art while the SegaCD-version is just a very difficult jump'n kill with a poor Crazy Sue-like atmosphere.
Old 26 April 2011, 12:30   #33
s2325
Zone Friend

http://hota.sourceforge.net/
Old 26 April 2011, 13:29   #34
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Odd. They have a screenshot from HOTA on Amiga, but no download exe to get it all running.

Has anyone actually compiled it for Amiga or not?
Old 26 April 2011, 18:52   #35
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I Emailed the guy and got a very quick reply, Someone downloaded the Source compiled it and compiled with no errors and sent him a ScreenShot but it does require SDL
Thankyou very much for your Reply Gil if you read this