English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 June 2008, 01:57   #41
Andec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
@Smiley: I've always had MUCH more of an ethical problem pirating the work of small operations like Amigakit than I have pirating the work of bigger software house like M$ or Adobe. People like me (and I suspect there are quite a lot of us out there) say no to piracy quite a bit -- but only vis a vis a those we feel deserve support and/or need our support.

Well said. There have been arguments over whether piracy contributed to the demise of Commodore elsewhere on this board. If it did or not, I can't really say (I suspect it probably did tho). I don't have a machine that would benefit from this software. BUT, if I did, and I was given a choice between a pirate copy or a legit copy, I would gladly pay for the legit copy if for no other reason than to support a market that is getting smaller all the time. Sooner or later there will be no Amiga dealers left.

Just my 2c worth
Old 12 June 2008, 03:13   #42
oneshotdead

At least Amigakit is now getting lots of exposure in this thread.
Old 12 June 2008, 04:12   #43
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Erm, there will always be rival products.
Photon Paint and Deluxe Paint. Whats wrong with saying one is better than another? What is wrong with criticism?
Those were two COMMERCIALLY RELEASED software back in the day. (Still, one being better than the other, will in the end be just a PERSONAL opinion).

We are in 2008 and the "rivals" is just getting this stuff on your own on the net and doing it yourself. Makes no fucking sense talking about rivalry in theAmiga market of today.

I guess I wouldnt have a problem if they would go like this with their sales pitch:

"Hey you! Yes, you, Amiga fan!
You want to transfer your ADF to your Amiga from the PC? Are you thick as a brick, or lazy, to do the whole pain in the ass effort on your own? Well, we'll do it for you!
We sell you a PCMCIA CF adapter, a CF card, and a disk with CFD and FAT95 in it so you just have to put it into your Amiga and get going. The price for the privilege of being fucking lazy or retarded is XXX"...

This would be much more honest!
Of course I am exaggerating and taking the pisseth, but there are people who DO apreciate stuff being done for them. Sometimes I find myself buying something I could do on my own if I could be arsed but I am not, so... there's no crime in that.

But this talk about "rival products"? Give me a break, Amigakit. Get real.
Old 12 June 2008, 04:14   #44
Amiga1992

While we are at the subject of piracy...

Do the CFD and FAT95 licenses allow them to be put on a disk that's up for sale?

If there's talk about supporting small developers (wholeheartedly agree with this, I do so myself), why not send a wad of money to the authors of CFD and FAT95 instead? The whole PCMCIA thing would not be possible without their effort.
Old 12 June 2008, 04:28   #45
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
"Hey you! Yes, you, Amiga fan!
You want to transfer your ADF to your Amiga from the PC? Are you thick as a brick, or lazy, to do the whole pain in the ass effort on your own? Well, we'll do it for you!
We sell you a PCMCIA CF adapter, a CF card, and a disk with CFD and FAT95 in it so you just have to put it into your Amiga and get going. The price for the privilege of being fucking lazy or retarded is XXX"...
Hmmm now I want one...
Old 12 June 2008, 04:30   #46
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Hmmm now I want one...
Amigakit, hire me as your marketing manager
Old 12 June 2008, 10:03   #47
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Oh god what have I started??

@Akira

The wonderful Torsten Jager, author of CFD & FAT95, released his software with no license at all (Freeware?). I believe that allows people to use them freely in commercial applications.

Last edited by alexh; 12 June 2008 at 10:10.
Old 12 June 2008, 10:04   #48
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Because this thread is not about what's better, it's about supporting one of the last Amiga dealers isn't it?
But only if their products are of a good quality. If they released poor/overpriced products then I wouldn't bother, regardless if they're one of the last Amiga dealers or not.

(I'm not saying this is the case by the way, it's a hypothetical situation.)
Old 12 June 2008, 11:47   #49
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
But only if their products are of a good quality. If they released poor/overpriced products then I wouldn't bother, regardless if they're one of the last Amiga dealers or not.

(I'm not saying this is the case by the way, it's a hypothetical situation.)
Whenever my partner and I have a hypethetical discussion - it always ends up in a row

Dave G
Old 12 June 2008, 14:19   #50
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The wonderful Torsten Jager, author of CFD & FAT95, released his software with no license at all (Freeware?). I believe that allows people to use them freely in commercial applications.
I checked Aminet and saw indeed that the software doesn't SPECIFY a license.. This doesn't mean it doesn't have one, but it's a big mistake to forget putting this when you release something. Even if you want to allow everyone to use it in whatever way they want, you MUST specify it.

Assuming is NOT the right way to go with licensing issues. Actually, something that doens't say a thing, I would assume, to be safe, that doesn't allow anything except end-user utilization.

Is this person contactable? Would be cool to hear from him, see if he minds, and if he does, amigakit chipping in with a solution
Old 12 June 2008, 17:00   #51
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

It still dose not alter the fact that someone has pirated the Amigakit software, if the software is free and apparently it`s so easy to setup yourself then why didn`t these pirates just make their own disks to distribute. They could have called it EasierAdf and made a fortune undercutting Amigakit.
I`ll tell you why, because it`s easier to rip off someone elses work than to put the effort in and do it yourself.
Old 12 June 2008, 17:10   #52
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
made a fortune undercutting Amigakit.
Old 12 June 2008, 18:46   #53
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
you`ll have to expand on that comment Alexh, what`s nuts about that
Old 12 June 2008, 18:50   #54
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

A fortune? More like pocket change.
Old 12 June 2008, 18:57   #55
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
It's just miserable gits like myself who think that this product is over priced
Thought that would be right up your street tight arse
Old 12 June 2008, 22:12   #56
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

amigakit.com shouldn't have any of their products ripped off.

Not fair on him - for obvious reasons.
Not fair on the rest of us - how f*cked will we all be if the last Amiga dealer(s) get the hump & move on to more profitable areas?

The subject of how good/bad EasyADF may be is not relevant to this thread.

Regardless of ones POV on the subject the fact is large markets can stand a degree of piracy (it may even help - discuss) but in a small market where every sale counts...
Old 13 June 2008, 00:47   #57
Amiga1992

I want to ask a question before continuing to post here:

What exactly are the contents of the easyADF package? Besides CFD and FAT95, and the hardware part.
Old 13 June 2008, 02:38   #58
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
If i were the author of Messydos.device, FAT95 or CFD id be very interested in the fact that AmigaKit is making money from my hard work and would expect AmigaKit to offer payment for the use of it in a commercial product. In fact id consider this a form of piracy. Considering that fact that these software are three quarters of the software product, the price of the product is extortionate and very unfair to the authors. Amiakit what efforts have you made to remunerate the authors of these products ? I expect the answer is NONE! If so, i consider you the biggest pirate here.

Last edited by Dimlow; 13 June 2008 at 02:47.
Old 13 June 2008, 12:43   #59
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

I don't see the problem in the package from amigakit. If you don't like it, make your own with the tools listed above on aminet, no need to say if the price is right or not. Also is one of the least amiga dealers that are serious so don't see the point in criticise them.
Old 13 June 2008, 13:17   #60
Photon

Yeah, it's easy to determine who is a pirate. Certainly, someone who releases software without a license can't expect a cent for it. Yoofs selling adapters on *Bay and supplying copied disks, the content of which Amigakit has bought the rights for, is piracy. You know, copying stuff that costs money.

I don't think Amigakit will go bankrupt since it's one of many products, but it's not subtle. At one point, if it gets worse, Amigakit and devs might tire, and if you like to persuade them to bring new products, buy from them and not from people making pocket change on auction sites!