English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 30 August 2018, 22:53   #1
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

A good port of Super Street Fighter II Turbo on CD32

As CD32's expansion are now cheaper (TerribleFire for example ), i was wondering if someone is able to do a good CD32 port for SSFII Turbo

The CD32 version is awful, even if it as CD music. The animations are made with 2 sprites so it's not smooth at all.

The PC version seems to be better and smoother. I don't know about the A1200 version

Is it possible to use the animations or sprites from another version to smooth this game ? It can use FastRAM if needed with TerribleFire now

I remember this game because i've bought it day one and it was such a deception on the CD32. 10 years later i've thrown it to trash. When i see the price for this piece of shit now....

So i was thinking to port a good version of this game on the CD32
Do you thinks something can be made or this game is definitely the WORST game of the CD32 ?
Old 31 August 2018, 09:34   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
This game has all the animation frames. I took a look inside the game files. This because the A1200 version is a port of the PC code. The game code is stuck for a 60 fps refresh, that's why the game is eating some frames or worse doesn't have enough time to change palettes on the fly (ex: guile sonic boom).
Old 31 August 2018, 09:59   #3
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Does it means that if the game can be run in NTSC mode it will be smoother ?
Or is the CD32 hardware just not able to handle it ? I mean not able to handle the full animations

In fact i was wondering if the game has bad code or if it's just CD32 hardware limitations

Last edited by Rochabian; 31 August 2018 at 21:50.
Old 31 August 2018, 21:52   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochabian View Post
Does it means that if the game can be run in NTSC mode it will be smoother ?
Or is the CD32 hardware just not able to handle it ? I mean not able to handle the full animations

In fact i was wondering if the game has bad code or if it's just CD32 hardware limitations
The AGA machines have not enough power to run @60fps.

they have not removed the refreshing routine from the PC version. The AGA version would have needed to run @ 30FPS.
Old 31 August 2018, 22:22   #5
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Thanks fo the info Denis

I see i'm not the only one who has thought about being able to play a smooth SSFII Turbo here

As you seems to already have inspected the code, do you think it's possible to modify some routines to be able to play smoother or would it be needed to rewrite everything?

If it was easy i think it would already be done by eab members, so it's the second option?

Edit : If the game can only be run at 30 fps to have full animations, it will not be smooth either, so no way without degrading graphics, i'm right?

Last edited by Rochabian; 31 August 2018 at 22:53.
Old 01 September 2018, 15:13   #6
Hewitson

Better off forgetting about it and getting the arcade PCB if you like the game so much. The Amiga will never see a good version of this game.
Old 01 September 2018, 17:39   #7
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

I don't like this game enough to pay 500 € for a PCB, although i have an arcade cab that can run it.

It's just about repairing an injustice, this game would never have to be released on amiga CD32 (even on A1200), not in this state.

Graphics are good, animation is poor, feeling is awful,

As said before, i was just wondering if it was because the code was bad or if it was because of the technical limitations of the CD32, and if some modifications of the code could have been enough to make the game pleasant, or if it was necessary to rewrite entirely the code and downgrading the graphics

"The Amiga will never see a good version of this game"

Not sure, even if it's true that today we see more homebrew than game remakes

EDIT : Emulating the game with a CD32 config with 060, it seems that more animation frames are viewable, but scrolling is not smooth either
I've read every post concerning this game, and dlfrsilver seems to be well informed
The frameskipping system is destroying the game but with a 060 i'ts not enough
Something has to be made to the code to remove the frameskipper but surely we have to reduce the graphics too or set the frameskipper to 30 fps instead of 60

Concerning the Super Hadoken bug, can animation be re converted from the PCCD version ?
The Sonic Boom not spinning is still present with a 060

Last edited by Rochabian; 01 September 2018 at 19:08.
Old 01 September 2018, 22:42   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

I have discovered the info about the frameskipper on the PC version in a gametek info file.

The programmers explained that SSF2T would have been impossible to run on a PC without it.

It has been added. I'm not sure that the hungarian coder was aware of it.
Old 02 September 2018, 02:42   #9
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Have you already tried some code modification yourself or a disassembly of the Game.exe ?
Old 03 September 2018, 17:12   #10
Glen M

Its just a lazy port but I understand it was done by 1 person so maybe excusable, meh, probably not as it should never of been released.

The Amiga is more than capable of a proper fighter game and I'd point you towards Fightin Spirit on the CD32 or A1200 as evidence of this. Shadow Fighter is another great example but Fightin Spirit in my opinion is the better.

I did a play review of Fightin Spirit on my new youtube channel - [ Show youtube player ]

I suppose what I'm getting at is you don't need fast ram as a game properly written around the Amiga can be far superior to any early 90s home console port of SF2. I'd go so far as to say Fightin Spirit could be an early Saturn game, for example Street Fighter Alpha on the Saturn isn't much better.
Old 03 September 2018, 18:01   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Fighting Spirit is 64 colors Halbright game.

SSF2T displays 128 colors on screen, has sprites bigger and with much much more frames.
Old 03 September 2018, 18:50   #12
Glen M

Sprites look big enough to me. The game is plenty colourful, especially the aga version and in terms of animation fightin spirit has more than enough certainly more than the sf2 ports on the amiga with a frame count of, what, 2!
Old 03 September 2018, 20:04   #13
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Sprites look big enough to me. The game is plenty colourful, especially the aga version and in terms of animation fightin spirit has more than enough certainly more than the sf2 ports on the amiga with a frame count of, what, 2!
The problem is, that unfortunately SF2 characters have around 120-161 frames per fighter.

Fighting Spirit warriors have less than that, because using 6 bitplanes for a fighting on the Amiga is really heavy.
Old 03 September 2018, 20:17   #14
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

@ Glen M
It's more for the technical side that I would like to see a good portage of SSF2T, iconic arcade game. There are plenty of other good versus fighting games and not necessary only on Amiga (personally excepts body blows, I do not find the others very good). I just wish I could say, god, this game is running on CD32, it's so faithful to the arcade, how is it possible?
At the moment we can say that of a screenshot but as soon as it moves, it's horrible...

After that we can wonder if a CD32 with expansion or not is able to run such a game fluidly with an optimized code, and that's the problem.
Old 04 September 2018, 00:26   #15
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

There could have been a good port to the Amiga if the base would have been the code from the Sharp X68000 version
Sadly they did not gave a damn

Last edited by Nibbler; 04 September 2018 at 00:35. Reason: adding sad emoji´s :(
Old 04 September 2018, 10:00   #16
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

I didn't know this version. It's not the Turbo version but it looks great.
I've found a HDF of the game that i have extracted if someone is interested (it's in the Zone). It doesn't share the same base as the PC version.
Old 04 September 2018, 14:32   #17
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

The weird thing is that Capcom itself used the Sharp X68000 to develope there CPS1 & CPS2 games.
Sadly they gave away there licence for the Computer homeports to stinkers like US.GOLD and co.
Seriously, if i see that logo alone... oh boy... shivers. ( There is only one good/great game that comes to mind, that US.Gold publisehd is FLASHBACK )

Getting off track here but think of it. Ghost n Globlins, Ghouls n Ghosts, 1943, Commando, Strider, Strider..aehh 2 and so on... pretty much all crap

Ohh, and there are 3 Street Fighter games on the Amiga and all SUCKS AAAAaaaasss
They dont gave a fuck (sorry my language, but its true) - ok there are 4 , but let us NOT SPEAK ABOUT STREET FIGHTER 1 FROM TIERTEX.. ohhh god,, the Horror.... the horror .....

Last edited by Nibbler; 04 September 2018 at 19:16. Reason: typos
Old 04 September 2018, 15:13   #18
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
Getting off track here but think of it. Ghost n Globlins, Ghouls n Ghosts, 1948, Commando, Strider, Strider..aehh 2 and so on... pretty much all crap
Ghosts 'N Goblins is a very good port, I'm surprised by your comment
Old 04 September 2018, 15:45   #19
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

It´s pretty much the best of the bunch, thats right.
and it is not Crap. ( i was thinking of not including it ... silly me )

I mean, yeah its GOLD compared to all the other Craptastic ports but it could have been much better.
Just look at all the other 68000 versions ... But yeah, Gost´N Goblins is alright !

But the point i trying to make was that pretty much all capcom classic are trash on the Amiga, sadly
but Ghost´N Goblins is ok. Ok Damien, you are right as always hehe )

Greetings, Nibbler

Last edited by Nibbler; 04 September 2018 at 15:53.
Old 04 September 2018, 15:46   #20
Glen M

The only thing I don't like about the ghosts n goblins is the change in music, the music is one of the iconic things of this game but for some reason they completely changed it.

As for SF2 and ports to the Amiga in general I cannot help but get the feeling from most if not all of them they were done to suit the most basic system a game would be ported to then those assets would then be used across all home computer ports. An example of this for me anyway is the port of Outrun which looks and plays no better than the C64 port, in fact the C64 port might be better.