English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 10 July 2008, 13:45   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

IDA Disassembler

Has anyone got experience of this?

What can it do, and how is it comparable to resource (Resource can insert lib offsets, hardware offsets etc)
Old 10 July 2008, 14:26   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

IDA is quite powerful, you can f.e. code your own plugins for it if you need a disassembler for an unknown/exotic CPU. However, for Amiga stuff I still prefer ReSource as it's a native Amiga disassembler and thus features many Amiga specific things not found in IDA.
Old 10 July 2008, 14:39   #3
zenox98
Joy Division

I've used IDA quite extensively in combination with w32dasm to reverse certain protections - for educational purposes you understand - all of which were Windoze based. I did try an amiga file, but found Resource more suitable because of it's built-in library offset functions.

Regardless of which one you choose, they both require a lot of time, effort and considerable patience.
Old 10 July 2008, 20:42   #4
heavy
noodle

I use it for both platform win and amiga exe.
very good. (old version a little bit buggy with information window )
Old 11 July 2008, 10:54   #5
hitchhikr

As i already said here for executable files, resource have an edge, for absolute addresses files IDA may be more suited.

Also IDA reports how some data are referenced (by data or by code) so it helps to determine what's what during disassembling and the navigation is generally easier than with resource.

Edit: and Resource have troubles disassembling anything than plain 68000 instructions.

Last edited by hitchhikr; 11 July 2008 at 16:39.
Old 11 July 2008, 22:51   #6
crabfists

Well I may not have a very balanced opinion because I have used IDA pro heavily and ReSource not so much but what I can tell is that IDA is very easy to use compared to ReSource and has some nice features such as a graph view (can visualise routines and the flow of execution with a graphical "node view"). Having multiple windows onto the disassembly is nice too. Windows can show hex data, which other routines call current routine, strings etc.

As has already been mentioned, if you are working with some code which uses a lot of custom chips or library routines then I would recommend using ReSource as it much better at giving meaningful disassembly as it knows about library offsets and custom chip flags etc.

One thing which I like is the way you can create memory segments in IDA. For the disassembly of Ruff'n'Tumble I create one big memory segment which starts at address 0 (start of chipram) and ends at address $1000000 (end of rom). Then I load in a memory dump from WinUae of the chipram to location 0 and the slowram to location $c00000 and then disassemble. This gives me a nice big picture of what is going on and any memory locations referenced outside of the chipram and slowram will be marked and given an auto generated name. These can be renamed to something meaningful. Eg $df000 == custom_base etc. One thing I find frustrating about IDA is if you have something like this... :

Code:
lea (custom_base).l, a5
move $7C7F, $96(a5)
... I haven't figured out how to make it substitute the $96(a5) with the name set for memory location custom_base+$96 (which I have named as dmacon in IDA).
Old 12 July 2008, 10:22   #7
hitchhikr

On the other hand Resource provides ways to handle word sized jump tables and base registers relative variables (x(ax)) quite efficiently.
Old 20 July 2008, 11:19   #8
crabfists

I've been mucking about figuring out how to write IDA plugins over the past few days and I've worked it out now - it's quite straight forward really. Somehow I thought there would be more of a learning curve but it's really not too bad. As something easy to start with I've written a "Copper list annotater" which, if you tell it where a copper list starts, will "disassemble" the copper list and add comments telling you what each copper instruction does (exactly the same as if you use the "o" command in the WinUAE debugger). I actually based it on the code from WinUAE to save re-inventing the wheel.

I'll post a link to it including source code when I get a chance as I think somebody might find it useful. I was thinking it would hopefully not be a huge job to write a plugin which filled in custom chip names or names of library calls. I may do the custom chip one as a next step perhaps depending on my motivation and interest from others. The library routine name one wouldn't be that useful at the moment to me so I may not look at that. Be quite easy for someone else to do though. Would be great if we could get to the stage where we've got a nice suite of Amiga plugins for IDA Pro.
Old 20 July 2008, 11:37   #9
heavy
noodle

nice. or post it in the zone
Old 22 July 2008, 00:19   #10
crabfists

Here is the IDA plugin and source code for disassembling copper lists. Attached is a screen shot of what it does.

Instructions:

1 - Copy this plw file to the "plugin" directory of your IDA install directory - (C:\Program Files\IDA\plugins) by default.
2 - Start IDA.
3 - Move cursor to start of where you think the copper list is located.
4 - Run plugin by selecting "Edit->Plugins->Annotate copper list".

Any comments, suggestions or bug reports welcome!

Useful links...

pdf book on IDA Plugin writing - useful for getting started with plugins.
Wizard for writing plugins in Visual Studio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IDA_copper.GIF
Views:	861
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	17252  
Old 22 July 2008, 09:16   #11
zenox98
Joy Division

Nice, crabfists. I'll try it out later
Old 29 June 2014, 13:52   #12
kamelito
Zone Friend

Not IDA but ODA online disassembler might be handy if you're not at home and wanted to try something...

http://onlinedisassembler.com/odaweb/
Kamelito
Old 29 June 2014, 19:50   #13
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Not IDA but ODA online disassembler might be handy if you're not at home and wanted to try something...

http://onlinedisassembler.com/odaweb/
Kamelito
It seems to work for the 68000 (remember to set the endian correctly!), but the disassembled output is not quite in the format I am used to. It is still very much readable though
Old 30 June 2014, 15:14   #14
phx
Natteravn

It's the MIT syntax, suitable for the GNU assembler.

I found the online disassembler quite slow, and it always flips back into i386 mode, when you paste something. Only useful for small pieces of code, when you have no disassembler at hand.
Old 01 July 2014, 23:22   #15
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
It's the MIT syntax, suitable for the GNU assembler.
Ahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
I found the online disassembler quite slow
Yes, it does seem to take a while to update. Not sure if it updates each time you enter a line of code, or whether it waits 10 seconds before deciding to update (if code has been altered).

The list of CPU's is impressive though, atleast 100+ (no I didn't bother to count them )
Old 02 July 2014, 00:04   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
The list of CPU's is impressive though, atleast 100+ (no I didn't bother to count them )
Meh, I can't even find a 6502 in the list..
Old 02 July 2014, 13:44   #17
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Meh, I can't even find a 6502 in the list..
Z80 is there
Old 02 July 2014, 13:55   #18
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Z80 is there
And how is that in any way related to the 6502? :-)
Old 03 July 2014, 07:21   #19
copse

This is loosely similar to what I planned for my own disassembler. Ideally in the long run, wanting to see collaborative and version controlled online UI. So you could see that Nignog disassembled Ironlord (god knows why) back in 2014 and continue from where they left off with their comments. A pipe dream, but would be nice. Could do it as an HTML5 application that worked offline (would have to).
Old 04 March 2015, 19:14   #20
SparkyNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabfists View Post
Here is the IDA plugin and source code for disassembling copper lists. Attached is a screen shot of what it does.
These links appear to have disappeared. Can you please repost these?