English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 April 2019, 03:08   #1
power

GVP HD+ setup any other general help/advice wanted

Hi all, hoping someone can give me a bit of basic advice and recommendations based on what's current around the place. I know there are plenty of people doing wild and exotic mods I'm not really into that at this point in time (maybe later).

I know there are some stickies and other threads but they are getting on and the information is kind of all over the place, this is my first foray into doing anything in an Amiga related to hard drives and the like. My previous experience only covers trapdoors and switches.

So the main use for my A500 is gaming and that's it, anything else is secondary.

I have the following.

-A500 with trapdoor expansion.
-1084S
-DF0/DF1 boot switcher.
-External FDD enclosure with GoTek installed and working well (not looking to touch this it's now setup as I want it).
-GVP HD+ with SCSI drive and 8MB RAM.

The GVP is where I am really looking for help.

I'd like to get rid of the HDD and do a CF or SD install and then get Workbench going on it and maybe install some games onto it as well - the machine will be staying on 1.3 as I don't really have any use for a higher version of WB as far as I can tell. Unless someone can convince me that it's worth going that far into it. I want to do it in the GVP as I like the look.

So the question is, what's the current go to to get a sidecar like this going how I've described. I purchased the sidecar as is and haven't done anything but upgraded the RAM, it doesn't boot (I believe it may have WB2 on it) but has an external PSU and everything and the RAM does display in Workbench if I boot from an adf on the GoTeK in the GVP's game mode.
Old 09 April 2019, 10:13   #2
Jope
-

A scsi2sd inside the GVP might be the most cost effective option these days. People have reported better compatibility with the cheaper revision 5. The throughput will probably be quite enough, most likely faster than your current spinning disk.

If the HD has 2.x on it, you will need install 1.3 in its place if you do not wish to upgrade your kickstart.
Old 10 April 2019, 13:19   #3
power

Yeah I was wanting to wipe it clean anyway.
Old 12 April 2019, 01:48   #4
power

So anyone else? Was at least hoping someone would point me at something?

Or am i the only one doing this specific setup, is this a bad idea?
Old 12 April 2019, 07:03   #5
Jope
-

A bad idea? No. You already have a fine setup for an ECS A500. No need to buy anything more to begin with. Many hard disk installable games run fine on a 1.3 hard disk Amiga with maximum fast RAM.

Some WHDLoad slaves can also be made to work on your setup without upgrading the kickstart, but in my opinion it's more fun searching the various demoscene collections and BBS dumps for onefilers and also larger games that can be HD Installed without WHDLoad. At least that's what I did for my personal 1.3 setup. :-D
Old 12 April 2019, 07:58   #6
power

maybe i should just play with the hard drive and try and get that to do something before I get the adaptor thing?

i'm just not sure how to make it work, looks like it needs a configuration disk or something??
Old 12 April 2019, 08:35   #7
Jope
-

Well yes, you already have everything in place to begin with. Something to cut your teeth on.

Learn how an Amiga hard disk is partitioned, read an AmigaDOS manual.

Here are some good guides for just about anything Amiga related.
http://commodore.bombjack.org/amiga/books/abacus.htm

I recommend these two:
http://69.60.118.202/books/amiga/boo...rs_Revised.zip
http://69.60.118.202/books/amiga/boo...ut_Revised.zip

Here are some hard disk controller user guides that you can read to understand some of the partitioning process:
http://commodore.bombjack.org/amiga/...sers_Guide.pdf
http://commodore.bombjack.org/amiga/...User_Guide.pdf

HDToolBox from the A590/2091 install disk can be used for the GVP too, you just need to start it from the shell with hdtoolbox gvpscsi.device

All of the setup disk images are available from TOSEC. www.archive.org has them, if you care to search a bit for amiga tosec
Old 12 April 2019, 09:01   #8
jagLally

this is what I did

I got the v5 SCSI2SD adaptor and Chris from AmigaKit also made a short parallel cable for me so I could keep it external and swap the sd card anytime I liked.

See picture. I've routed the internal power through the fan gap as the fan is no longer needed and the cable plugs into GVP external port at back. Added bonus - no noise of fan or HD. It's something you could consider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	62774  
Old 12 April 2019, 11:28   #9
power

Thanks Jope, I honestly only ever used the Amiga for games ever since it was bought it in '91. Been on PC's and Windows since the late 90's so this is all learning. I have a tosec set so i'll have a poke around.

jagLally, yeah i would also like to get rid of the fan - that sidecar is a noisy bit of kit with everything running. Reminds me of when I owned a BP6 with a pair of FOP38's and I don't want to go back to a noisy machine.

As far as hanging the adapter out the back I think I might skip that for now. Maybe just leave the lid unscrewed until i'm comfortable with what's going on on the SD card.

See how I go eh!?
Old 12 April 2019, 20:40   #10
Photon

BBOAH has more info - this and amiga.resource.cx are the goto places for manuals, disks, etc for expansions.

As mentioned, you can/should use modern equivalents of the partitioning programs that came on floppies with these interfaces. The interfaces/SCSI work the same way, so the manual for one program should at least give some hints how setup works that will get you going, the only question is whether running an .adf with the program detects the interface.

It might be easier to start partitioning the HDD and get a WB matching your Kickstart on it, than a CF card solution. Not all CF card models work, some are bigger than the filesystem can handle, and you have to remove the partitions on a PC before use.

Then on the other hand the HDD could be dead. But you'll find out soon enough.
Old 15 April 2019, 12:34   #11
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
As mentioned, you can/should use modern equivalents of the partitioning programs that came on floppies with these interfaces. The interfaces/SCSI work the same way, so the manual for one program should at least give some hints how setup works that will get you going, the only question is whether running an .adf with the program detects the interface.
Unfortunately the latest "modern" rdb tool that runs under 1.3 is the HDToolBox that is supplied on the 2.05 install disk. Perhaps the 2.1 install disk also has the older 1.3 compatible version. :-)
Old 15 April 2019, 20:17   #12
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Unfortunately the latest "modern" rdb tool that runs under 1.3 is the HDToolBox that is supplied on the 2.05 install disk. Perhaps the 2.1 install disk also has the older 1.3 compatible version. :-)
+1 Jope you're right, I can't reproduce my memory of just adding gvpscsi.device after... Latest HDToolbox exits and HDInstTools hangs hard.

I do have a "WB1.4" setup with latestest 1.3 FFS version, and removed WB1.3 stuff added back in, awesomesauce ...but I guess I must have partitioned it under Kick 3.1 then?

Anyway, my general message was to prevent TooMuchInfo(TM), but I'm wrong about this part. I will recommend Faaastprep.
Old 16 April 2019, 02:20   #13
power

thanks for the discussion, it does help believe it or not. i'm hoping to dive in over the next few weeks and anything anyone can add i'm sure will give me more to think about.
Old 16 April 2019, 08:00   #14
Jope
-

I actually recommend the HDToolBox that is on the WB 2.1 install disk. :-)

But yeah, Faaastprep will do the job as well for 100-500MB disk.
Old 16 April 2019, 20:11   #15
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I actually recommend the HDToolBox that is on the WB 2.1 install disk. :-)

But yeah, Faaastprep will do the job as well for 100-500MB disk.
Expertprep is better but not perfect. Probably won't support large drives. I only had a 80Mb back then...
Old 17 April 2019, 04:31   #16
scuzz

Thought you might want to see one out of the box. I use the actual original hard drives on mine and I have quite a few. The fan can be noisy and I have them without to be honest. I have a variety of OSs on the drives and do have 1.3 running no problem.

Not sure about the CF cards as I don't use them on my Amigas. I just hunt down suitable hard drives.

The point of the post really was to warn you about the power supplies on these units. The capacitors blow and leak yellow gunk all over the place. I've had two fail like that and its not pretty. One other consideration is the way the hard drives were screwed in. Many old components that were fitted by third party companies used a technique of overtightening one screw to make it near impossible to remove. I had to drill mine out on one of these units.

Pretty bullet proof and really doesn't serve much purpose on the 500 other than for having the Workbench on tap. Loads of demo disks like to disable memory and drives and work better from floppy. And coming from the era of floppy based games most are on disk anyway. I just use an external floppy drive and play from disks. Many are not hard drive installable.. though maybe some have gotten round that.

I tend to just use a later HDToolbox for setting up the drive and then simply copy over the 1.3 contents. Seems to work. Though I do have switchers on most of my machines as I like the flexibility. I also have 3.1 ROMS and even later Workbenches running on these machines.

Anyway have fun.... and watch when you are inserting the side connector it is possible to break the socket connectors if you place on an angle. Also the Amiga should be fitted with a ground plate which often gets lost when folk sell the GVPs.

I include some images of the grounding clip on the 590. Same thing for the GVP.

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuz...may18_2002.htm

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuz...uly18_0126.htm

scuzz
Old 18 April 2019, 07:58   #17
power

ooh thanks for the info, and the warning on caps - i'll pop my psu open and check the caps.
Old 18 April 2019, 09:32   #18
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post

The GVP is where I am really looking for help.
I have excatly same hardware that you have, except that I have kickstart 3.1

Get SD2SCSI adpter
Get rid of KS 1.3 and get KS3.1 you will get benefits from it.
Install WHDLoad and tons of whdloadized games.

Get AmigaExplorer software from Cloanto and use it to transfer files from you PC to your Amiga.
Get PlipBox NIC or serial cable for file transfers hardware.
If you get PlipBox you will need to have tcp/ip stack, then get Roadshow.
Old 18 April 2019, 10:23   #19
power

if i did that where would that leave my GoTeK?