English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 March 2011, 18:54   #1
tygre
Returning fan!

[Solved] Help Configuring Miami(Dx) in WinUAE

Hi there!

I have installed WinUAE 2.3.2 (latest as of today) and I cannot get either Miami or MiamiDX to work with the "uaenet.device". What really puzzles me is that the MiamiInit program freezes at the end of the configuration process: it discovers my settings (correct masks, gateway IP...) but after I enter a host name, it freezes. SnoopDOS does not show any problem, which makes me think that it is a network problem?

Did anyone suffer the same problems, could anyone advise?

I really would like to use the uaenet.device to have the same configuration on my ClassicAmiga and in WinUAE...

Take care!
Yann

PS. When configuring manually Miami, MiamiPing can ping, say, www.google.ca but IBrowse complains always of lost network connection... any idea?
Old 23 March 2011, 20:17   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Run winuae with -netlog command line parameter, tick logging checkbox in misc panel and attach winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt.

Does A2065 emulation have same problem? (disable uaenet, enable A2065 Z2, select a2065.device, don't remember if it comes with miami or not, download it from aminet or something)
Old 24 March 2011, 04:20   #3
tygre
Returning fan!

Dear Toni,

Thank you so much for your quick answer . I did two tests:

- I configured WinUAE to use uaenet.device and configured Miami: I can go "on-line" in Miami, I can ping www.google.ca but IBrowse time-out on the same URL;

- I configured WinUAE to use A2065 Z2 and configured Miami: I downloaded a ethernet.device from Aminet, I can go "on-line" in Miami but I cannot ping www.google.ca and IBrowse time-out on the same URL.

I attached the two sets of log files for each test. Can you help me? Is there anything else I can do to help you track down my problem?

Thanks again and take care!
Yann
Attached Files
File Type: txt A2065 Z2 + Miami - winuaebootlog.txt (10.8 KB, 450 views)
File Type: txt A2065 Z2 + Miami - winuaelog.txt (13.9 KB, 309 views)
File Type: txt uaenet.device + Miami - winuaebootlog.txt (10.3 KB, 450 views)
File Type: txt uaenet.device + Miami - winuaelog.txt (15.0 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by tygre; 24 March 2011 at 04:22. Reason: Fixed typos...
Old 24 March 2011, 14:44   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

-netlog command line parameter is missing (at least in A2065 logs)
Old 24 March 2011, 18:50   #5
tygre
Returning fan!

Sorry about that, my mistake, I will produce and post the traces this evening.

Thanks!
Yann
Old 24 March 2011, 19:36   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Actually use all following parameters: "winuae.exe -log -netlog -a2065log"
Old 25 March 2011, 03:32   #7
tygre
Returning fan!

Dear Toni,

Please find in attachement a RAR file containing the four logs from the same scenarios as above but with the "-netlog" option this time.

I already noticed that the log file when using the "A2065 Z2" is much smaller than the one when using "uaenet.device", which probably means that I don't have the right driver . I will look for other versions on the Internet.

Thank you for your help!
Yann
Attached Files
File Type: rar 110324 - WinUAE Logs.rar (87.9 KB, 322 views)
Old 26 March 2011, 01:53   #8
tygre
Returning fan!

PS. Using the "a2065.device" that I found in Aminet, I did ping Google but only using its IP address, the DNS does not work. IBrowse reports a "connection failure" to the same IP address, similarly to the other previous tests . I attach the logs.
Attached Files
File Type: rar 110325 - WinUAE Logs.rar (7.8 KB, 297 views)
Old 26 March 2011, 08:05   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

DNS not working probably isn't emulation problem but software configuration.

Only possibility is Windows and WinUAE fighting for NIC configuration (if you only have one network card)

WinUAE uses WinPCap which does not virtualize network card like vmware or virtualbox. It would be nice but I don't know any freely available and easily usable virtual drivers.
Old 26 March 2011, 19:34   #10
tygre
Returning fan!

Dear Toni,

I further explored the configuration of Miami and, when using a2065.device only, found a mismatch between the real MAC address of my network card and the one queried automatically by Miami, when clicking "Query device" in the "SANA-II Parameters" window:

- My network card, according to both ipconfig and WinUAE (in the drop-down box below the "A2065 Z2" check box) reports the MAC address 00:27:10:2F:4E:A4

- The "Hardware address" in the "SANA-II Parameters" window reports the MAC address 00:80:10:2F:4E:A4 (80 instead of 27)

Whichever MAC address I use, when using a2065.device, I have the same behaviour: not DNS, can ping Google IP, cannot access Google IP using IBrowse .

I read other forums and Web pages, there maybe a conflict between Windows and WinUAE for the network card but... How can I prevent it? Any idea or advice?

Thanks in advance!
Yann
Old 26 March 2011, 21:19   #11
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I cant really help with the issue, but i can say that it is working fine for me. I had uaenet.device setup and working but its always been slow (downloading limited to 10 kb/s in uae) So I just setup A2065.device. and downloading from aminet is now around 50 kb/s. I told uae to set the z2065 to an unused ethernet port on my moby and Miami picked up the mac address ok (to match what uae prefs shows).

Im using MiamiDX if thats relevent. Will check genesis now, but dont anticipate any issues.
Also the 2 network ports are Bridged in windows (so acts like a virtual switch for anything connected to the second port) Network/Router connected to port1 and Winuae Z2065 pointed at the unused port 2.
Old 27 March 2011, 12:03   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
- My network card, according to both ipconfig and WinUAE (in the drop-down box below the "A2065 Z2" check box) reports the MAC address 00:27:10:2F:4E:A4

- The "Hardware address" in the "SANA-II Parameters" window reports the MAC address 00:80:10:2F:4E:A4 (80 instead of 27)
This is normal. 00:80:10 is Commodore's MAC range and A2065 drivers only accept the card if it matches.

A2065 emulation does MAC translation automatically. Your router still sees the real hardware MAC, Amiga sees the translated MAC.

Any change if you add -a2065_promiscuous command line parameter?
Have you tried using manual IP and DNS settings in MiamiDX?

Unfortunately I can't help without logs (not sure if I still can help but at least it is possible to see if DHCP works, -a2065log2 should create huge logs)

Only way to debug this properly is to use Wireshark. (Check also http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47388 and http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55578)

Technically problem can't be MAC translation if uaenet.device has same behavior.
Old 27 March 2011, 21:04   #13
tygre
Returning fan!

Thank you Mad-Matt and Toni!

Mad-Matt, do you think that you could share your WinUAE config. with me? Also, how did you tell WinUAE to use a different ethernet port, I can't seem to see this option in the WinUAE GUI, is it maybe a command line parameter? Did you have a chance to try with Genesis; I am using Miami (not DX).

Toni, thanks for your explanations! I will now try the command line parameters that you suggested. Right now, I am using Miami with manually configured IP, mask, Gateway, and DNS. I will also have a look at the two threads about Wireshark.

Talk to you soon!
Yann

Dear Toni,

I attach the traces with the two command line parameters, still running the same scenario with the same results:
- MiamiPing www.google.ca fails with unknown host;
- MiamiPing <IP address> works;
- IBrowse with the same IP address fails with connection timed-out.

Now off to play with Wireshark...

Take care!
Yann
Attached Files
File Type: rar 110327 - WinUAE Logs.rar (43.1 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by tygre; 27 March 2011 at 22:41. Reason: Reported wrong error message for IBrowse.
Old 27 March 2011, 23:24   #14
tygre
Returning fan!

PS. I read the threads that Toni pointed out. I will try later to use to a different network card, stripped off of any Windows-related protocols, services...
Old 27 March 2011, 23:46   #15
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Quote:
Thank you Mad-Matt and Toni!

Mad-Matt, do you think that you could share your WinUAE config. with me? Also, how did you tell WinUAE to use a different ethernet port, I can't seem to see this option in the WinUAE GUI, is it maybe a command line parameter? Did you have a chance to try with Genesis; I am using Miami (not DX).
When you select A2065 emulation, you get a dropdown with available mac addresses to link the emulated device too. Genesis is working fine as well.
Old 28 March 2011, 03:53   #16
tygre
Returning fan!

Ah, yes, I actually did try the three options that I have: "Cable disconnected" and my two network adapters (LAN and wireless), it made no difference . Would you mind sharing your WinUAE / MiamiDX configurations with me?
Old 28 March 2011, 12:21   #17
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Quote:
Ah, yes, I actually did try the three options that I have: "Cable disconnected" and my two network adapters (LAN and wireless), it made no difference . Would you mind sharing your WinUAE / MiamiDX configurations with me?
Ill attach them, but I dont know if they will help.

I installed this device driver for miami/genesis http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/a2065v216a

and latest WinPCap http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 27 February 2021 at 14:34.
Old 28 March 2011, 18:49   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I assume your router MAC is 08.06.00.01.08.00.

Logs show Amiga sending broadcast ARP packets (0x0806) as expected but for some reason replies are too short (shorter than max allowed ethernet frame size)

What kind of network do you have? (wired or wireless or something else)

Perhaps the fix is as simple as removing packet length check.. I'll attach winuae test version later.
Old 28 March 2011, 23:50   #19
tygre
Returning fan!

Thanks Mad-Matt, I am using the same ethernet device as you do, I will check in details your configurations though...

Thanks Toni for your investigation, I am using a wireless card Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN with a wireless router Asus W-500gP v2. I am using this router with one Windows 2000, two Windows XP, and one Windows 7 computers without problems but could this configuration explain the "short" packets?

Reading the threads that you pointed out to me, I will also try by stripping my LAN card of any Windows stuff and connecting it directly to my router.

Take care!
Yann
Old 29 March 2011, 18:24   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip fix the problem?