English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 12 December 2011, 22:14   #21
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDelusion View Post
How in the world did you find that link? I even wrote the company about purchasing a copy for the Amiga and have yet to receive a response.
Beware. It would be a brave person who provides his or her credit card details there in the hope of buying that software, because I don't suppose that page is maintained any longer.

I'm sure that Digital River (if indeed it still exists) is not actually selling anything, though I'll admit that's not the way it appears.

I remember Digital River as being only an intermediary used by resellers' websites to process their customers' online payments. After being advised of what was about to happen, you would be transferred to the appropriate Digital River webpage with details of the reseller, your order number and the quantity you were purchsasing already pasted into the relevant fields to supply your payment details and then, once your payment was approved, you'd be transferred back to the reseller's site for confirmation of your order and to log out.

Some of these sites provide a complete fulfilment service to the reseller, such as Avangate provide, or once provided, on Cloanto's behalf.

@ancalimon: Thanks for uploading a valid archive!
Old 12 December 2011, 23:26   #22
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Prowler: I'm glad you agree!

Ancalimon: Thankx a ton man!
Old 13 December 2011, 00:35   #23
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Photogenics is still available to purchase from the website:

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...P=0&CACHE_ID=0
This link is from around 2002 judging by the system requirments for the Windows, Linux and Pocket PC versions. This is what Paul Nolan replied to me in 2007

" If this is a legal CD, do you do media replacement if the media is defective. Thanks

Sorry, CD-Rs don't have a 8 year life span! I don't have the files to send you either I`m afraid. I can give you a discount on the Windows version if that would help?

Thanks,

Paul Nolan, CEO Idruna Software Inc.
http://www.idruna.com"

Ancalimon, Paul Nolan didn't have the file you uploaded. Check you PM for more Toaster stuff.
Old 13 December 2011, 12:30   #24
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Beware. It would be a brave person who provides his or her credit card details there in the hope of buying that software, because I don't suppose that page is maintained any longer.
Well that would be me then.
I purchased Photogenics from that site just a month ago. This link has been provided on several different forums over the years, whenever someone has asked about purchasing Photogenics for Amiga. The last time was just a couple of months ago, can't remember which forum (I lurk in quite a few) but most likely Amiga.org or Amigaworld.net. It was after reading said thread and seeing no complaints from the person who requested the link that I decided to try it for myself. A download is provided as soon as the payment is given. I can't confirm that the money is going to Paul Nolan of course... The confirmation email stated that "DRI*Idruna Software Inc." would appear on my bank statement.
Old 13 December 2011, 12:37   #25
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Well that would be me then.
I purchased Photogenics from that site just a month ago. This link has been provided on several different forums over the years, whenever someone has asked about purchasing Photogenics for Amiga. The last time was just a couple of months ago, can't remember which forum (I lurk in quite a few) but most likely Amiga.org or Amigaworld.net. It was after reading said thread and seeing no complaints from the person who requested the link that I decided to try it for myself. A download is provided as soon as the payment is given. I can't confirm that the money is going to Paul Nolan of course... The confirmation email stated that "DRI*Idruna Software Inc." would appear on my bank statement.
How big is the download? Is it an ISO file? I might buy it to preserve it. I like keeping stuff and burying them for the future generations. I guess there is a pirate in me! :P
Old 13 December 2011, 12:52   #26
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
How big is the download? Is it an ISO file? I might buy it to preserve it. I like keeping stuff and burying them for the future generations. I guess there is a pirate in me! :P
It is an lha, only about 1.5mb, it is release 121. No manual is provided.
Old 13 December 2011, 14:35   #27
ancalimon
Supernormal

The archive I uploaded is a large archive with release 95. and it complains about two not available assigns
Old 13 December 2011, 19:47   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
It is an lha, only about 1.5mb, it is release 121. No manual is provided.
That's not a full version. It sounds like the update file that fryguy uploaded.

@fryguy: Don't despair that your Photogenic5 archive is corrupted. I shall upload a fixed version shortly. The smaller files within that archive represent a Photogenics 5 Amiga distribution for floppy disks, so they're worth fixing up. It will just take a bit more time to get it done properly.

Last edited by prowler; 13 December 2011 at 19:56.
Old 13 December 2011, 19:47   #29
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

If a manual was included. I'd be inclined to buy, it would come in handy!
Old 13 December 2011, 20:42   #30
James

Quote:
I looked at the update in the zone and it is actually bigger!!! There is no installer, it can be copied straight to your hard drive (as stated in the small text file that in no way suggests that this is only an update) so maybe this accounts for the size difference. It appears to work OK but I admit I havent had a chance to do much with it yet...

There is some html documentation but it only refers to the Linux and Windows versions so I'm not sure how useful it is...
Old 13 December 2011, 20:49   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

This is getting more and more confusing by the minute. Are you saying that you paid US$79 just for a 1.6MB lha archive?

Surely that represents just a stripped-down Amiga OS package. What about the Windows and Linux platforms - are separate archives for those included?

Last edited by prowler; 13 December 2011 at 20:58.
Old 13 December 2011, 21:35   #32
James

Quote:
This is getting more and more confusing by the minute. Are you saying that you paid US$75 just for a 1.6MB lha archive?

Surely that represents just a stripped-down Amiga OS package. What about the Windows and Linux platforms - are separate archives for those included?
Yes this is just the Amiga package, I did expect it to be larger but you don't see what you're getting until you have paid. I agree that it is a lot to pay for some ageing Amiga software. I almost purchased it a few years ago, but got put off by the price. But this time I thought what the hell, I can waste my money if I want.
Old 13 December 2011, 22:43   #33
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Ya, I feel bad for you man. I mean this software does appear to be quite cool, though again it seems that one has to learn how to use it via trial and error, which is a major bummer!

You'd think that if they were going to charge so much that you'd receive a box and a manual...

...at the very least a freaking manual. A manual that relates to the version and the Operating System you are using at that.

If such respect for the consumer was being shown, I would happily pay the money for a legit (if no longer supported) copy, but alas, it's like the company behind this takes no pride in the Amiga/MorphOS side of things. Yes, this runs like a wet dream on MorphOS, though I wonder what those assigns are...

Quote:
Yes this is just the Amiga package, I did expect it to be larger but you don't see what you're getting until you have paid. I agree that it is a lot to pay for some ageing Amiga software. I almost purchased it a few years ago, but got put off by the price. But this time I thought what the hell, I can waste my money if I want.
Old 13 December 2011, 23:17   #34
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:

@fryguy: Don't despair that your Photogenic5 archive is corrupted. I shall upload a fixed version shortly. The smaller files within that archive represent a Photogenics 5 Amiga distribution for floppy disks, so they're worth fixing up. It will just take a bit more time to get it done properly.
Maybe the files are split with a splitting program and they need a joining program.

I remember one such multipart archive which required a specific join command.
Old 13 December 2011, 23:33   #35
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Maybe the files are split with a splitting program and they need a joining program.
Yes, they are. The full archive you uploaded is 4,064,283 bytes. The split version consists of five lzx archives which extract to give five parts as follows:
Code:
           Original  Packed
f-PG5a.lzx  879616   868642  f-Photogenics5.lzx.01
f-PG5b.lzx  879616   849252  f-Photogenics5.lzx.02
f-PG5c.lzx  879616   867986  f-Photogenics5.lzx.03
f-PG5d.lzx  879616   864552  f-Photogenics5.lzx.04
f-PG5e.lzx  545819   518456  f-Photogenics5.lzx.05
The files with the 01-05 suffixes need to be joined to create an equivalent file to your uploaded file. Aminet has several file splitting/joining utilities capable of doing this.

Each part is bundled with File_id.diz and fIRE-Photogenics5.nfo files which confirm what the archive is and that each part is 1/5, 2/5, 3/5, etc.

However, each of the packed archives is damaged in a similar way to the Photogenics_v5_0.lzx in the file fryguy uploaded.

Now that we have your valid archive, the part archives can be repaired too.

Last edited by prowler; 14 December 2011 at 00:04. Reason: typo.
Old 14 December 2011, 00:00   #36
ancalimon
Supernormal

Run the version I uploaded and then run the update file fryguy uploaded. It updates release95 to release121. Uploaded the updated archive to Zone.
Old 14 December 2011, 00:01   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

Does the update fix the missing assigns?
Old 14 December 2011, 00:09   #38
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Does the update fix the missing assigns?
No. Maybe you can see what those assigns are with Snoopdos?

Still, shouldn't AmigaOS ask us to insert those assigns with a requester? Weird.

I guess they are assigns for some brushes directory that came with the CD? ... Or a jpegtemp assign? or maybe the Photogenics assign itself?

Last edited by ancalimon; 14 December 2011 at 00:17.
Old 14 December 2011, 00:17   #39
prowler
Global Moderator

Yes, I need to use SnoopDos in connectioon with another Amiga program I am trying to get running. I'll let you know what I find.

BTW, I didn't realize that you'd uploaded another archive. Thanks for that, mate!
Old 14 December 2011, 00:33   #40
ancalimon
Supernormal

The complaining assign is about this:

Photogenics:Openurl/Libs

It tries to add this assign to LIBS: