English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 June 2009, 09:50   #1
dinowarp

A600 HD won't cold boot. Please help!

I have been working on this problem for a while now and decided to post this, may be someone has a solution. Here is my problem, I have an Amiga 600 HD and the hard drive went bad. I had a spare Toshiba HDD 2238B 200MB 2.5" IDE hard drive, so I replaced the old one with this. I then proceeded to low level format, format and then install the OS. After installation, I removed the floppy and restarted the machine. I then get insert a boot disk screen. I have Kickstart 37.35 so it should not be a problem. I removed the hard drive (Toshiba) and installed it a PC laptop and the HD worked fine, booted the laptop (after I formatted for pc and installed OS). I then reinstalled the HD in the Amiga 600 and re-installed everything and same thing happed (boot screen). I decided to do a warm boot (ctlr-Amiga-Amiga) and this time it read the HD and booted from it. I checked the HD and it seems to working fine. Decided to do a cold boot but to no avail. I still have to do a warm restart to make the HD work.

I have been reading some of the threads and they were saying to change the boot sequence to 4 rather than 0. I tried that and was still the same. PLEASE HELP!

This is really driving me nuts. Why won't it do a cold boot but would work after a restart? How can this be fixed? Any info would be appreciated.

Amiga 600 HD
kickstart 37.35
Toshiba HDD 2238B 200MB 2.5" IDE hard drive
OS 2.05

Thanks

Old 02 June 2009, 09:55   #2
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Greetings,
I have a 2000 that can be a bit finnicky as to when and how it wants to start. I would suspect that Thomas will be able to help you better than I. In worst case scenario, if you can't get it fixed, a small circuit that does a warm boot some few seconds after a cold boot could be implemented.

Paul
Old 02 June 2009, 09:55   #3
chiark
Needs a life

Hello and welcome to EAB . Stay awhile... Stay forever! *

It could be that the drive is taking too long to initialise from a power up (cold boot) but works when it's reset rather than powered up...

Kickstart 3.1 has a longer timeout, IIRC... I don't think there's any way of slowing down the boot sequence on a 600.

* - here's hoping you've played impossible mission
Old 02 June 2009, 10:02   #4
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Hello and welcome to EAB . Stay awhile... Stay forever! *

It could be that the drive is taking too long to initialise from a power up (cold boot) but works when it's reset rather than powered up...

Kickstart 3.1 has a longer timeout, IIRC... I don't think there's any way of slowing down the boot sequence on a 600.

* - here's hoping you've played impossible mission
Perhaps a reboot circuit is required then?

Paul
Old 02 June 2009, 10:09   #5
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Very Simple solution to this slow spin up drive problem.

On the 44-way IDE ribbon, Cut the Wire for Pin 1, ie the first wire running along the bottom of the cable next to the Mobo's pin 1 identification.

When you Cold start your miggy you will still get the floppy requestor but performing a Ctrl-A-A will Boot the HD because it has now spun up, By cutting the RESET line the drive will not be reset during reboots anymore.

TC
Old 02 June 2009, 10:18   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Get a KS3.1 ROM, the wait for disk spin up time has been increased.

Or

Get a IDE->CF adapter and a CF card.