English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 September 2008, 14:19   #1
dentoncobbler

Emprex DVD Writer

Have been offered one of these for sale, (E-IDE/ATAPI).

Would be very grateful to hear if anyone has any experience of testing this brand with a classic Amiga and what type of interface/which software was used, e.g MakeCD, Frying Pan, BurnIT.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Old 01 September 2008, 22:07   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Yes, it could work. But DVD units aren't good to burn regular CD-R disks (due the narrow beam).
Old 01 September 2008, 22:22   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
But DVD units aren't good to burn regular CD-R disks (due the narrow beam).
Lost me with that comment. What do you mean narrow beam.

Or do you mean the amiga programs /apps arent up to the job of burning normal CD's.
Old 02 September 2008, 01:03   #4
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Lost me with that comment. What do you mean narrow beam.

Or do you mean the amiga programs /apps aren't up to the job of burning normal CD's.
Narrow beam is exactly this. The laser of DVD units is narrower than regular CD burners. That means the DVD unit "burn" the CD-R disks in an improper way (4x narrowed track than the more "fuzzy" CD-R unit can).

The only two advantages I can think about a DVD unit have over a CD-RW unit is the larger cache memory and protection for buffer underrun.

Normal CD units maybe can't read DVD-burned CDs.

-----------------

Any Amiga with a 030 or better processor can burn CDs (100% CPU, even the mouse don't respond).
Old 02 September 2008, 02:33   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Narrow beam is exactly this. The laser of DVD units is narrower than regular CD burners. That means the DVD unit "burn" the CD-R disks in an improper way (4x narrowed track than the more "fuzzy" CD-R unit can).

The only two advantages I can think about a DVD unit have over a CD-RW unit is the larger cache memory and protection for buffer underrun.

Normal CD units maybe can't read DVD-burned CDs.

-----------------

Any Amiga with a 030 or better processor can burn CDs (100% CPU, even the mouse don't respond).

Well, I have never had a problem, I think you will find they use different laser diodes. 1 for CD and 1 for DVD. In some cases they use 2 lasers in 1 package. An Example of this is Blue-Ray for reverse compatability.

I have burnt lots and lots of CD's on my lightscribe DVD DL burner at full speed and every CD reads fine in CD players. The only players that might have problems are the very early CD players.

Its also like the myth that you shouldnt burn any CD32 CD's at full speed, I have always burnt at fullspeed and they have always worked.

Maybe its the discs that are being used.
Old 02 September 2008, 08:43   #6
SkippyAR

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentoncobbler View Post
Have been offered one of these for sale, (E-IDE/ATAPI).

Would be very grateful to hear if anyone has any experience of testing this brand with a classic Amiga and what type of interface/which software was used, e.g MakeCD, Frying Pan, BurnIT.

Cheers,

Stuart.
Yo Bro, what's happening up North? I have one. I actually bought it from Maplin.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=48218&DOY=2m9

It's listed on their site as the BTC, but is superseded in store by the Emprex x20 at a reduced price of £30.

I've had no trouble if it at lot. Burns fast, smooth, is reliable, and burns CD-R with no problems so ignore that Brazilian guy. Supports all the formats you'd expect. I use either Asda or Tesco DVD-R /+R a/ CD R and they work perfect every time. This is inside my WinXP machine.

Also comes with x3 Besel, Ivory, Black and Silver. Got anymore questions about it let me know.

Le Skipe