English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 December 2015, 21:05   #1
Dahman

Scart to HMDI converter buy advice needed

Hi, I'm looking for a Scart to HDMI converter and I have a few questions. Are there any problems I should be aware of before buying one? I have a A1200 and use SCART to connect to my tv no problem, but I want to move my amiga out of the living room. Does it matter what resolutions the monitor should handle? There will be any problems if I also use an HDMI to DVI adapter?

Also I thinking about getting this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-SCAR...3D251999926131

Or that: [EDITED: removed the second link, there was incorrect description on the item, it was hdmi to scart.]

Thanks.

Last edited by Dahman; 02 December 2015 at 21:16.
Old 02 December 2015, 22:18   #2
strim
NetBSD developer

I didn't use this particular converter, but you might be interested in a fact that there's a community developed external HDMI scandoubler. Unfortunately it's not ready yet and still might take some time to finish it.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78892
Old 03 December 2015, 15:16   #3
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Tested a few cheap ones and unfotunately they are crap. The only reliable scaler/converter (not costing thousands...) is the Framemeister. It's still gonna cost you quite a bit, but I can assure you, you'll be happy with it The picture quality is nothing but stunning. Remember to get the proper scart-adaper for the Framemeister also.

https://solarisjapan.com/products/xr...up-scaler-unit
Old 08 December 2015, 10:26   #4
Dahman

Framemeister is great, but cost more then the Indivision AGA, and as a budget retro gamer can't afford it.

To continue, yesterday I got my Scart to hdmi converter. The one from the link. And it works okay, but I noticed two things.
1. there is some horizontal noise lines, kind a like a wave. It can be ignored, as it's not distracting during gaming, but I can't get where it's coming from. What can be the source?
2. Flickering when selecting options from top menu. I have higher res setup in my workbench, so I'm wondering if that's the case.
(both issues notices on a Sony TV - using hdmi and LG hd monitor).

I saw some pics from other people using the same scart-to-hdmi, and there's no such problems. Would there be an issue with something on my end? I use a rgb to scart that I got on ebay, and I have not such problems when not using the adapter.

If needed, I try to get some pictures.
Old 18 May 2016, 13:56   #5
jarp

Replying to old thread but here goes. I bought the same SCART to HDMI converter as it was dirt cheap. Too bad it's crap also :-) It actually "works" quite well, accepts happily PAL and NTSC signal, all the modes Amiga can feed, deinterlaces nicely so productivity laced mode is usable and everything. However, picture quality is crap and unusable for anythign else than still pictures.

I get horizontal noise like you, however that is not the problem. Picture is also blurred a bit, but that's not a problem either. Problem is that any movement on the screen causes bad artifacts so i.e. side scrollers an unplayable.

Oh well back to the drawing board. I have no equipment accepting analog signals (VGA or SCART) so even Indivision ECS is out of the question. I'm afraid I'll need to wait for AMIV external HDMI scandoubler to actually use my Amiga. How stupid is that? (Well actually I can use composite video, that does my project accept, but quality is crap too).

Some photos included. As you can see, still images are passable (moire is not present in real life, just in the photo). But movement is what breaks the illusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4778.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	48489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4779.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	48490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4781.JPG
Views:	96