English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 12 December 2010, 22:38   #1
jman

Current legal status of Assempro

Hello,

just out of curiosity, can anyone can give a few ideas about the current status os this assembler from Abacus?
I can find a lot of informations about seka, devpac, asmone, asm-pro (gone opensource) and so on, but apparently not much about this.
The book is pretty much ubiquitus - I'd say - in the usual Amiga book sites but no trace of the assembler disk.

Is it still possible to find it?

Thanks.
Old 19 December 2010, 01:04   #2
Steady

Hi jman,

I actually own that software (book and disk) and your post inspired me to check if it is still OK and not suffering from bit-rot. It seems OK and I have made it an adf so there is at least one copy of it still around. Not sure about the legality of making it available though.

Old 19 December 2010, 09:57   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady View Post
Not sure about the legality of making it available though.
Since when has legality ever stopped Amiga users doing anything?
Old 19 December 2010, 10:48   #4
pmc
gone

It would seem to me that if the book is available as .pdf with no issues then there's no reason the accompanying disk shouldn't be available as .adf
Old 19 December 2010, 23:30   #5
kamelito
Zone Friend

assempro was crap IIRC.
Old 20 December 2010, 09:56   #6
Steady

@kamelito

Yeah it was. No reason not to preserve it though. I did use it to learn on back in the day because of the Abacus books and it does still work.

I remember when I got it. I was looking to learn to program on the Amiga and thought C was the go. It turns out that, at $500, it probably wasn't the go after all.

The bloke in the store managed to convince me that if I got AssemPRO, I would be able to make top-notch games as all the best are written in assembler ... and it was $150, which was affordable. He sure saw me coming ...

Even though it wasn't that great, AssemPRO and the Abacus book "Amiga Machine Language", along with the best machine, got me interested in programming which was a really great thing in the end. So, I have fond memories of it and I'm glad it still works even though there are much better products around.

Still yet to produce that fantastic assembler game, though ...

That little shop in Dandenong, Victoria (OZ), closed down a couple of years later, but it was so good when you could walk into a store and browse all the latest Amiga stuff... oh well.

Old 22 December 2010, 00:17   #7
jman

Quote:
I actually own that software (book and disk) and your post inspired me to check if it is still OK and not suffering from bit-rot. It seems OK and I have made it an adf so there is at least one copy of it still around. Not sure about the legality of making it available though.
Hello Steady,

thanks for your feedback and congrats for the "wise" choice done at the time :-)

The reason I was wondering about that assembler is exaclty because I've started poking the 68000 with that PDF and while using DevPac.
Some features the book mentions obviously refer to their software and I was scratching my head finding the corresponding one on DevPac.

AsmOne, on the other hand, while quite primitive (imo), has an interesting "=C" feature that let's you have a handy reference to registers and others features similar.

So, all in all, I was wondering if it was worth 'having a look' at Assempro too.

I don't know, I guess everyone seems to have his own preferred tool even though I feel a general consensus about Assempro

By the way I tried to track for a couple of days the legal status of AssemPRO but I really couldn't find a definite word about this issue.
The one thing to do should be sending an email to the German software company Data Becker (whose Abacus was the US distributor) and ask for a hint. If they won't laugh out loud at the request

ciao
Old 22 December 2010, 10:21   #8
Steady

Ha ha. I'm not that worried about it.

Where would I put it though? I know there is a place here (or at least referred to from here).

Old 22 December 2010, 12:19   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Have a look for a 'The Zone!' link in the upper right here and then check : http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item
Old 23 December 2010, 06:52   #10
AmigaDave

Quote:
Hi jman,

I am glad your disks are still good. I have an unopened, still shrink wrapped box that I have been meaning to open up and install to a hard drive one of these days. Can I contact you if any of my disk(s) are corrupted?

I am just a beginning programmer, so I have avoided Assembly Language, so far, but plan to learn a bit about it some day.
Old 23 December 2010, 07:23   #11
Steady

No probs AmigaDave.

Old 23 December 2010, 21:54   #12
jman

Quote:
Ha ha. I'm not that worried about it.

Where would I put it though? I know there is a place here (or at least referred to from here).
Yes, if you have some spare time to create an ADF to upload to the Zone would be very nice :-)

thanks
Old 24 December 2010, 00:01   #13
kipper2k

Quote:
@kamelito

Yeah it was. No reason not to preserve it though. I did use it to learn on back in the day because of the Abacus books and it does still work.

I remember when I got it. I was looking to learn to program on the Amiga and thought C was the go. It turns out that, at $500, it probably wasn't the go after all.

The bloke in the store managed to convince me that if I got AssemPRO, I would be able to make top-notch games as all the best are written in assembler ... and it was $150, which was affordable. He sure saw me coming ...

Even though it wasn't that great, AssemPRO and the Abacus book "Amiga Machine Language", along with the best machine, got me interested in programming which was a really great thing in the end. So, I have fond memories of it and I'm glad it still works even though there are much better products around.

Still yet to produce that fantastic assembler game, though ...

That little shop in Dandenong, Victoria (OZ), closed down a couple of years later, but it was so good when you could walk into a store and browse all the latest Amiga stuff... oh well.

I used assempro too along with the abacus machine language book, i wish i had never got rid of them now
Old 24 December 2010, 00:23   #14
jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I used assempro too along with the abacus machine language book, i wish i had never got rid of them now
Well, probably you already know that, but as far as the book is concerned, you can find it here. On aminet you can even find a TXT dump (with quite some typos, also in the sources!).

IMO for being a book for a complete beginner it is not bad. I don't feel comfortable with learning only by examples, I like to understand the reason behind and that book has quite of it.

Last edited by jman; 24 December 2010 at 18:04.
Old 24 December 2010, 06:24   #15
clenched

AmigaDave - Don't do it or your disk might turn as ugly as mine
jman - I made an ADF of this way back in 1998 but let's wait on Steady first in case they are about to make the pinch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	assempro.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	27402  
Old 24 December 2010, 07:33   #16
Steady

It's now in The Zone.

P.S. My disk looks that ugly too. They must have used some really crap glue to put the sticker on.

Old 24 December 2010, 14:07   #17
jman

Quote:
It's now in The Zone.
thanks mate
Old 24 December 2010, 17:00   #18
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
Well, probably you already know that, but as far as the book in concerned, you can find it here. On aminet you can even find a TXT dump (with quite some typos, also in the sources!).

IMO for being a book for a complete beginner it is not bad. I don't feel comfortable with learning only by examples, I like to understand the reason behind and that book has quite of it.
Nice link, fast, downloaded at 600kps

thanks