English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 05 January 2016, 05:27   #1
DieMonkeys

Hi everybody!

I've been slowly trying to collect retro/vintage/antique whatever you want to call them computers and video game consoles for the last couple of years. I started with re-buying a Sega Genesis with Sega CD then went on to mostly fill out my Sega collection, then Nintendo, then Playstation, then on to computers. I've gotten ahold of a Commodore 64, a Zenith Z386 PC, a 486 PC, an Apple IIgs (just a few weeks ago). a couple of "dead" Mac Pluses (that I've revived) and I have an Amiga 1200 on it's way from the UK soon!

I intend to build a retro room in the workshop of my potential new house. I like modifying and overclocking the old hardware to make it do things that wasn't thought of at the time (S-Video in my Genesis, one power cord for the Sega CD and Genesis, SD cards and backups for all my systems so I can leave the original software in it's case so it doesn't get ruined, etc.). I'm a novice with a soldering iron, but I make do, I've only ruined replaceable components and never a console.

I'm brand new to Amigas (I have had Amiga Forever for a year and recently got the 2016 upgrade) having only heard about them from my father who always dreamed of having one when they were available new, but ended up with low end PCs.

So, hi!

AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 January 2016, 10:27   #2
fluff79

Hi there! I'm very impressed you have rebuilt so many old systems. Do you have an engineering-y background? I think i would find doing something like that very satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieMonkeys View Post
I intend to build a retro room in the workshop of my potential new house.
Are you building yourself a new house too?!

Old 05 January 2016, 15:21   #3
DieMonkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff79 View Post
Hi there! I'm very impressed you have rebuilt so many old systems. Do you have an engineering-y background? I think i would find doing something like that very satisfying.

Are you building yourself a new house too?!

Hah. I've been very lucky with what I've gotten so far. I have not had to recap anything yet but I am prepared to do so with the Amiga I should be getting soon. Most of my modifications are to add S-video or to replace old soldered in batteries and put holsters in so I can change them easier later. And the older the system the easier it is to solder, this Amiga is going to be the tightest soldering I'll have to do, may have to order some finer tips for my iron.

As for building the retro room, I'm just going to be building shelves and tables in an old workshop. I do have a background in building houses and working at a couple of hardware stores in my youth. No engineering, math ended up being a brick wall in college. Just a communications background now.

Old 06 January 2016, 10:17   #4
fluff79

Great! my old amiga and games are packed up at the minute. Wondering whether I should keep and see what's working and what isn't, or sell so someone else can use / enjoy them!

AdSense AdSense