English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 May 2003, 02:09   #1
BustaCap

Emulation joystick options

Is it possible to use a PC joystick with WinUAE, or do I have to use an Amiga joystick with converter?

If I can use a PC joystick, any recommendations?

Old 17 May 2003, 02:31   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Yes, you can use a PC joystick with WinUAE, but it doesn't feel like the Amiga joystick did since the PC joysticks are analog devices, whereas the Amiga joysticks were digital. For a more authentic feel, I'd recommend using a digital joypad instead. Others may differ on this, but I think that gives the best simulation of the "feel" of an Amiga joystick that you can get using any standard PC controller.
Old 17 May 2003, 03:07   #3
BustaCap

I've never in my life used a joypad

What is a good one? I want to play games like Emerald Mines, Hybris, Xenon, etc. I'd rather go for a "good" one than a "cheap" one.

Thanks!

Old 17 May 2003, 03:59   #4
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I'm not sure that there is a great deal of difference in the different joypads out there actually. I personally use a Gravis GamePad Pro (USB), and am quite pleased with it, even though it probably didn't cost me any more than $20 or so. Of course Microsoft makes a more expensive one, as does Logitech, and I'm sure that both are probably fine products. If you ignore price altogether though, IMHO the deciding factor in choosing a joypad should be whether it "feels right" to you. If it doesn't feel right, you won't be any happier with it because it was a bargain, nor will you be satisfied with it just because it's "the best". What matters is whether it feels natural enough to you that you'll be racking up some high scores with it.
Old 17 May 2003, 12:44   #5
rattus

The best gamepads out there are the six-button Megadrive/Genesis pads or the DualShock Playstation pads. You can get a USB adapter for each of these to use on your computer. I've found that proper console pads work better and are more comfortable than any made-for-computer gamepad
Old 17 May 2003, 20:09   #6
BustaCap

This gamepad looks interesting:

I like the idea of having a pad and joystick.

Last edited by BustaCap; 17 May 2003 at 20:16.