English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 December 2018, 15:15   #41
sneckburger

I took the heatsink off my Furia to replace the sticky pad with thermal grease.
Made no difference. still locks up after about 30 seconds of playing Frontier.
Rebooting lasts about 15 seconds of playing then its constant guru and wont even boot to workbench until its been powered down for a couple of minutes.

I took a photo of the chip while I had the sink removed.

I have another Amiga 600 to try it on when (if) I eventually get it back from Amiga Kit for repair. They've had it since March so I have my hopes for an extra Christmas present?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_220018.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	562.2 KB
ID:	61077  
Old 04 December 2018, 16:11   #42
esel

And again a bad fake chip.

the label is complete wrong .
i think it was an old 16 MHZ chip relabled to 25 MHZ.

Thats why it cashes after a few minutes old 16 MHZ wont run stable at 33 MHZ
Old 05 December 2018, 14:18   #43
sneckburger

What's the best solution to fix this then?
swapping the processor or changing the crystal.
I'm not too bothered if its a little slower than it should be as its only for whdload.
Also where is the best place to get a Euroquartz XO91 50 from?
will this one do?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EUROQUART...IipZ:rk:5:pf:0
Old 24 December 2018, 20:40   #44
sneckburger

Bump!
Old 27 March 2019, 10:21   #45
sneckburger

Right I managed to get another A600 motherboard to test the Furia card to see if the problem is with the card or my Amiga.
The Problem is exactly the same across both machines. Stable for about 5 to 10 minutes after first boot then just crashes more frequently to the point it fails to boot.
It's like a heat issue causing the problem and Amiga Kit (Chris) suggested I might have a dry joint somewhere as the computer boots fine again after a cool down. Only thing common across the Amigas was the PSU, which I'll try another possibly tonight, but I'm not confident.
edit: just to note both A600 are perfectly stable without the Furia card attached.

TBH this card was a waste of money, you might be seeing it on ebay as spares and repairs very soon as its something I'm not confident in fiddling about with.

Any recommendations for an alternative and best place to buy? Only want to play old whdload stuff nothing fancy.
Old 27 March 2019, 10:37   #46
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Try to get one of Kipper's 4/8 MB FAST RAM cards. Rock solid and perfect for WHDload.
Old 27 March 2019, 11:25   #47
Marle
Pixel Vixen

It's not going to give you the speed of the Furia with an 020, but my A600 rev 1.5 is absolutely rock solid with 2MB Chip and a 2MB PCMCIA SRAM card which works as fast RAM. It very rarely crashes (I forget when it last crashed) and I work for hours like all day in DPaint and not a single crash. It's just a wee bit faster than stock but not by much (maybe a third?)

It also runs all the WHDLoad games I have thrown at it so far (Disposable Hero, Rainbow Islands, Lotus 2 Turbo Challenge, Rodland, Leander, Switchblade II, Elfmania, Ruff n Tumble etc.) so I don't let it being 2MB Fast RAM put you off.

Most of the larger disk games like Monkey Island and Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis are all hard disk installable out of the box.

The only small downside is when you want to use the compact flash you need to switch off and boot up without the SRAM card, but it's no biggy.

Back in the day (20 years ago) I had an Apollo 630 card for my A600, it was the biggest pile of unreliable poop I owned so I feel your frustration.

I did see an ACA620 go on eBay.co.uk about 2-3 weeks ago for about £90 which seemed a decent price, so keep your eyes peeled.
Old 27 March 2019, 12:16   #48
Mark sealey

Awesome read....had my V2 white furia for just over a year.....works better with os3.1.4 but i have to disable CC0 and CPU chahe in early startup menu before boot.

also had a modded pc psu that made it super unstable so went back to the Standard A500 psu...loads better and no lockups.
Old 27 March 2019, 16:27   #49
sneckburger

Thanks for the advice everyone, the SRAM PMCIA seems like the way to go then. though they are as almost as expensive as the Furia!
Retro Ready (I think ive seen the user on here) sell a board that looks ideal https://retroready.one/collections/a...18874137149510.
Though sold out! :-(

I've got the A1200 set up great for now, but the A600 is a neat compact portable machine I planned on using on an retro gaming night with the lads.
I tried it before years ago with an old A1200 and had to mug the boxes of disks around with it.
It went down really well except the wait for games to load and swapping of disks.
Old 27 March 2019, 16:32   #50
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
Awesome read....had my V2 white furia for just over a year.....works better with os3.1.4 but i have to disable CC0 and CPU chahe in early startup menu before boot.

also had a modded pc psu that made it super unstable so went back to the Standard A500 psu...loads better and no lockups.
Interesting. I noticed the same issue with 3.1.4 and my furia too; it just doesn't seem to like the new scsi.device unless you disable the caches. I get the same result on either of my A600 r1.5 boards. Then again, we're talking about a board that makes the integrated IDE very finicky.

I went ahead and dropped back down to 3.1 and switched to an ide->sd solution. This was the last step necessary to make the furia 100% stable; I can even enable fast IDE in the furia tune settings with no lock ups.
Old 28 March 2019, 10:31   #51
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
Interesting. I noticed the same issue with 3.1.4 and my furia too; it just doesn't seem to like the new scsi.device unless you disable the caches. I get the same result on either of my A600 r1.5 boards. Then again, we're talking about a board that makes the integrated IDE very finicky.

I went ahead and dropped back down to 3.1 and switched to an ide->sd solution. This was the last step necessary to make the furia 100% stable; I can even enable fast IDE in the furia tune settings with no lock ups.
Thats intresting.....Ive a Rom switcher on order so will be able to use what ever Rom i want....Could not get Shadowrom working with 3.1....with 3.1.4 I have Shadow Rom running all the time as its in my startup sequence....I also use IDE speedup when i need the speed.

The other thread ive seen

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=furia

has a AIBB picture in the first post....not sure how he got it to go so fast....sent the user a message to try and get a download link to his "furia Setup" to try...but no reply.
Old 28 March 2019, 14:02   #52
EzdineG

Furia Woes/Counterfeit Chips [Resolved tnx to Lotharek and Boris]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
The other thread ive seen has a AIBB picture in the first post....not sure how he got it to go so fast....sent the user a message to try and get a download link to his "furia Setup" to try...but no reply.
It’s most likely that his Furia is using a newer firmware. There was a thread a while back where the creator of the board had you check the device ID to determine the version you had. You could send the board back to him if yours was a certain version and experiencing issues for an update. Mine is certainly an older version.
Old 30 March 2019, 10:28   #53
Mark sealey

i never knew that....got mine last may....thanks for the reply.
Old 01 April 2019, 11:29   #54
sneckburger

Been emailing Lotharek over the weekend asking for advice.
He's offered to take a look possibly just needs a FW update , So I sent it off today.
Old 12 April 2019, 20:41   #55
sneckburger

Ok so been talking to Lotharek over email, He has received my Furia card and frustratingly unable to find a fault with it.
He sent me a picture of the card on a bench test under load saying its been testing since Wednesday without error.
He's asking for me to send him an Image of my cf (its an SD card on my set up) but I have no Idea how to do that.. Any help would be appreciated.

He's suggesting that it could be my OS that is causing the problem? Just using the original 2.05 that came with the comp for now with a copy of Frontier on it.

I'm a complete Noob at this. I've managed to mount it as a HD on WinUAE and play frontier on a similar set up to my actual amiga without problem, but not sure how to create a copy or image of the SD card to send it via email. Do I do this through UAE?
Old 13 April 2019, 11:55   #56
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Win32 diskimager: get complete image of your sd card Then upload it to some cloud and send the link.

sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager
Old 14 April 2019, 19:35   #57
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Win32 diskimager: get complete image of your sd card Then upload it to some cloud and send the link.

sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager

I installed win32diskmanager, but when i go to select the disk (SD card) to copy it asks me if I want to format it. I can't do anything else with it.
Old 14 April 2019, 20:06   #58
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Hmm. After starting windiskimger you select the drive ( sd card) and then read the contents to an image file. This doe not work?

*edit*

To clarify:

1. Insert sd card to computer - when it says "must me formatted da da...", just close the nag screen.
2. Start Win32diskimager and make sure you have the correct drive (sd card) selected.
3. Select Browse icon and set the folder and the filename of you image file
4. Click Read

That should do it

Last edited by emuola; 15 April 2019 at 06:47.
Old 15 April 2019, 18:56   #59
sneckburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
Hmm. After starting windiskimger you select the drive ( sd card) and then read the contents to an image file. This doe not work?

*edit*

To clarify:

1. Insert sd card to computer - when it says "must me formatted da da...", just close the nag screen.
2. Start Win32diskimager and make sure you have the correct drive (sd card) selected.
3. Select Browse icon and set the folder and the filename of you image file
4. Click Read

That should do it

Thats worked. Thanks.
The 4gb image zipped up to 1.4mb so i could email it direct. Hope that he can use it. There's nothing much on the card WB2.05 and a copy of Frontier I was testing it with.
Old 26 April 2019, 02:07   #60
project23
Used Register

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't updated. I actually just came to this thread now for reference, as i'm finally starting the Furia transplant to a new PCB. What can i say, life got in the way!

I'll update properly once i've finished - if i get it working or not. I have concerns over moving the CPLD without somehow damaging it so i haven't got my hopes up. I mean i've moved it, with as little heat as possible - but I dunno... if that chip is dead the whole project is, lol. So i guess we'll see.

Didn't expect to see replies here! Like i say, hopefully i'll have positive results once i'm done.

Something just crossed my mind - where is Lotharek based again? Poland or Hungary? What's the mains frequency over there? I mean if a card is working over there but not here then could it be mains hum skewing the timing? Just a thought. It's 1am so you should probably ignore me.

I should say once again that Lotharek was nothing but nice to me. Do try and get in touch with him if you need to, and do be patient. If i had waited for a response rather than going after my own solution i'd probably have had a working replacement by now. The guy sent me a blank PCB - he didn't have to do that. Thoroughly nice guy!

Are you guys running MBR2 as the benchmark? I believe that's what lotharek uses, and it provides some details of the busted memory lines (if any).

John

EDIT: Ignore the mains hub stuff - just checked, its pretty much 50hz everywhere in Europe.