English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 May 2018, 00:49   #101
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
No. Not by Commodore (or Escom or Gateway).
Always drawers!
I remember very old icons commodore os 1.x

Quote:
Folders are used by Apple in Macs (1984) and in the Lisa (1983).
But originally the concept of "folders" is from the Xerox Star. (1981)
Talk about mono-faced and colorless icons!the first colored icons were born on AMiGA

AMiGA Story

Quote:
did you try experimental drugs 25 yours ago? LSD?
I did not understand anything about what you wrote, the system shown in the screenshot is the original HD image of my old A4000
Old 17 May 2018, 01:01   #102
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I remember very old icons commodore os 1.x

Talk about mono-faced and colorless icons!the first colored icons were born on AMiGA
Yes but directories on our workbench are always called "drawers" - the symbol is always a drawer - newer a folder!

Quote:
I did not understand anything about what you wrote, the system shown in the screenshot is the original HD image of my old A4000
yes - a very very very colorful screenshot. Like a trip on LSD.

don't worry: 25 years ago my workbench also looked terrible.
Old 17 May 2018, 01:13   #103
AMIGASYSTEM

As I said, I remember seeing some old floppy icons on some "folders".
With the arrival of OS 3.5 and OS 3.9 my RTG Workbench was starting to be nicer

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 22 April 2019 at 10:02.
Old 17 May 2018, 01:50   #104
MartinW

Well, I'm posting this from Icaros 2.2.1 linux hosted. I only got so far with Aros ABv1 before deciding I'd see what a fully loaded "distribution" is like. Clearly it's behaving enough to post this bit I did have serveral crashes along te way just to open the web browser.

To me it looks like if you don't mind sticking 100% to what the person that built the distro configured then you're OK. Problem is, the first thing I did was switch from Magellan to Wanderer for that more classic Amiga feel and lots of stuff just plain doesn't work and then crashes. Badly. Hard.

So at this point I'm back to my previous opinion of if I was to do anything with this then I would probably want to go my own way and build from scratch. It's the same with my real Amigas. The sensible things is to grab ClassicWB or something but I like to build from scratch and have it the way I like.

But I'm seriously thinking now, WHY?? Is it really worth the effort?? If someone that has been building this distro for years has it crashing a lot then what chance do I have? Apart from maybe I won't be trying to including everything so maybe I'd hit less problems?

But again, I'm just not sure it's worth the effort?

[EDIT] Oh, and then there's the whole question of ABI versions. Would I go ABv0 which seemed less stable to me, or go ABv1? But I'm unclear at this point what is even involved in converting something from one to the other? Is it simply go grab the source and hit recompile? (Once I've worked out how to get the dev environment set up). I'm guessing things aren't that simple or the contrib package would be available as ABv1 by now as well? Maybe I'm wrong? I really don't know.
Old 17 May 2018, 15:58   #105
Valken

@Amigasystem - can I ask what version of VMWare Player are you using? 14.x?
Old 17 May 2018, 19:42   #106
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
But again, I'm just not sure it's worth the effort?
probably only you can answer this question - is it worth your time and effort?

But maybe it helps your motivation, that there are literally thousands of $$$ waiting in open bounties!

How about porting Python to AROS? A very old version was already working - Bounty says 2.7, but no one would be angry it you go for 3.x ...
$475.50

CUPS $249
Qt5 $800
TCP/IP update $790

Quote:
I'm guessing things aren't that simple or the contrib package would be available as ABv1 by now as well? Maybe I'm wrong? I really don't know.
Well in theory it should but be more than adjusting some headers ... but you know: theory

But i think it is not that dire - most things in "ports" will probably do just fine.
aros-exec.com would be the place to get more information.
Old 17 May 2018, 23:16   #107
MartinW

I'll see what I can find out. I had a look through the source for the system last night in my quest to see if I could work out how to run full screen (I couldn't incidentally!). But I see LOTs of bizarre targets in there. I'm on my Mac right now so I don't have the source handy but I particularly remember there was a target for iOS. Now I didn't look into it and it could just be that someone created empty stubs for just about everything they could think of but as nice a dream as it might be, what on earth is the point in attempting to target iOS? Even if an iOS device had the power to do anything desperately useful surely it would never get into the App Store and would have to be jailbroken?

Anyway...

Technically I did get Aros to run full screen on hosted linux. I was able to start it and then from a separate shell instance I was able to issue a 'wmctrl' command to force X11 to push it to fullscreen. If I tried it from the same script that I created to start Aros then it wouldn't work. At this point I'm not familiar enough with wmctrl to know why. Of course the other problem is with the world merrily going the 'Wayland' way. I'm not too concerned about that though.

I also got the TCP/IP stack running and could ping stuff but of course no web browser because I was in ABv1.

It's definitely an interesting thing to tinker with. I just need to see if it's interesting enough to do any more than tinker. Next step is to work out how to cross-compile for Aros ABv1 I suppose.

This thread has certainly been enlightening
Old 17 May 2018, 23:46   #108
Dunny

Amiga was "drawers".
MS-DOS was "directories"
Windows pre Win95 were "groups"
Windows post Win95 was "folders"

Old 17 May 2018, 23:52   #109
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Amiga was "drawers".
MS-DOS was "directories"
Windows pre Win95 were "groups"
Windows post Win95 was "folders"

MS File Manager had little folder icons since Windows 3.0

But the only thing that matters here: yes, Amiga used and uses "drawers".
Old 18 May 2018, 00:11   #110
Gorf

Quote:
Even if an iOS device had the power to do anything desperately useful surely it would never get into the App Store and would have to be jailbroken?
You can sign your own code and upload it with Xcode onto your own device....

Quote:
Of course the other problem is with the world merrily going the 'Wayland' way. I'm not too concerned about that though.
X11 will stay around for an other 30 years.

Once there was support for Linux framebuffer ... but that got somehow abandoned
It would have been great for small devices or to run multiple instances of AROS on a bunch of virtual framebuffers, that you could shuffle around like good old screens...

I think support for framebuffer needs to come back!

Quote:
I also got the TCP/IP stack running and could ping stuff but of course no web browser because I was in ABv1.
Browser works for ABIv1
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/v...post_id=107119

Quote:
This thread has certainly been enlightening
I hope you keep us updated!!
Old 18 May 2018, 00:45   #111
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
@Amigasystem - can I ask what version of VMWare Player are you using? 14.x?
I had said it here:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...3&postcount=25
Old 18 May 2018, 03:13   #112
MartinW

Quote:
You can sign your own code and upload it with Xcode onto your own device....
Ah, true - I didn't consider that. It seems a bit of a limited audience though. More than Aros in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf
X11 will stay around for an other 30 years.
I hope so because Wayland didn't work well for me. Off the top of my head I don't remember why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf
Browser works for ABIv1
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/v...post_id=107119

I hope you keep us updated!!
Thank you for the link / pointer! I had glanced over the first few pages of that thread a few days ago but there are pages and pages so I stopped reading. It looks like "Wawa" didn't like Git. I hope they do now - I have used it at work for over 6 years now and wouldn't have it any other way. It is so easy when you know how.

What is even nicer is that it looks like the Odyssey project at least has full CMake integration which is always a bonus because my Jetbrains IDE (CLion) should just pick it up and run with it.

So this evening was very much a family evening effort on Zelda. I am on my own tomorrow evening so maybe I will try to setup the build environment. I already have an Amiga 3.9 Cross compile based on Bebo's work so hopefully this will be similar.

Don't expect miracles though. I have a severe habit of not following anything through to the end. The challenge is working out how to do something. Generally once I've worked out how I get bored and look for the next thing to do.

That's why my employers have always loved the way I work. They tend to throw the stuff at me that nobody else can work out knowing full well that they won't see me for days / weeks / months, but when they do the problem will be solved or they may as well abandon it entirely. It has taken me 6 years to fully understand the software project I work on now. In the last probably 3 months I finally feel like I fully understand it intimately
Old 19 May 2018, 03:27   #113
MartinW

Anyone know how to join Aros-Exec?? Their registration appears to be using an old version of reCaptcha that no longer functions so it's not possible to register!
Old 19 May 2018, 10:30   #114
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Anyone know how to join Aros-Exec?? Their registration appears to be using an old version of reCaptcha that no longer functions so it's not possible to register!
If you want I can communicate your problem on aros-exec.org magari qualche admin potrà aiutarti.
Old 19 May 2018, 13:10   #115
MartinW

There are several threads at the moment that I might be interested in commenting on. In particular I can see a discussion on what the obstacles are for new people coming on-board and since I built AROS from source in order to get the cross compilers last night I could share a bit of that experience

Not saying I will because I'm kind of busy but if I can't join then clearly I can't.

For the moment could you please just point out that the registration page is not working and it is impossible therefore to sign up. It looks like whoever looks after their forum needs to implement a more recent version of reCaptcha (see attachment).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken_captcha.png
Views:	72
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	58296  
Old 19 May 2018, 13:17   #116
MartinW

Quote:
CUPS $249
Qt5 $800
TCP/IP update $790
I had a quick nose at the bounties last night. As suspected, nothing I could help with. But that TCP/IP bounty!! I know it's not all about the money but when you through the requirements I would imagine that any capable party would want an extra 0 stuck on the end of that if they were doing it for the money.

I might be wrong, I know precious little about programming an IP stack but the requirements are very detailed and look (I would guess) ambitious. The slightly odd thing to me is that whoever wrote those requirements hopefully knows the inner workings of an IP stack implementation pretty intimately so I would think they would be well placed to work on it? If they're not then hopefully the requirements have been validated as possible by someone that does know how to do it.

Anyway, all pure speculation and off-topic to this thread.
Old 19 May 2018, 15:32   #117
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
For the moment could you please just point out that the registration page is not working and it is impossible therefore to sign up. It looks like whoever looks after their forum needs to implement a more recent version of reCaptcha (see attachment).

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/v...orumpost108059
Old 19 May 2018, 17:14   #118
wawa

Quote:
I'm guessing things aren't that simple or the contrib package would be available as ABv1 by now as well?
you mean aros contribs? it is available for all abi v1 target platforms on the respective download page:
http://aros.sourceforge.net/nightly1.php
Old 19 May 2018, 17:38   #119
wawa

Quote:
there is a web browser in contribs, also for v1, networking dir, its called owb. its rather outdated webkit 2009 but it should work. there is a slight problem compiling it currently with contemporary tools, which you might face trying it. so i advise to use a nightly version.

besides i have compiled latest version of odyssey for x86 abi v1. i should probably reenable all features and recompile it and upload it somewhere. i just have been busy to make it compile for ppc and m68k and now im thinking about getting safari endian changes merged in besides aros code intop a newer version. but i will be a huge task and i am not a coder, so i may fail easily.

btw. the source codes im working on are here:
https://github.com/wawatok
im not sure if i pushed everything to the repo to make it compile right away. but be warned, the browser takes really long to build.
so, any help on these tasks would be much appreciated-

Quote:
how to cross-compile for Aros ABv1
i can help with that, or at least try to help, because it isnt really a big problem. i posted a quick guide on aros exec lately. here , post #3:
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/v...=10828&forum=2

btw. i dont have an evperience with abi v0 or aros distributions. practically all work on aros go now into v1. would be interesting what problems or instabilities you encounter there.

Last edited by wawa; 19 May 2018 at 17:53.
Old 19 May 2018, 20:54   #120
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

aros-exec.org: Users are again able to register

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/v...orumpost108064