English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 April 2005, 12:00   #1
zardoz
Zone Friend

Help me with this Settler's dialog

Right, after 11 years of playing I'm still trying to puzzle out the finer points of combat in The Settlers.

From the manual (LSD disc 46) ...

1. Proportion of settlers that become knights
2. Make available Settlers knights now
3. No idea
4. Strongest knights go out .. is that 'Strongest knights leave the castle for the guardhouses' or 'Strongest knights leave the guardhouses for battle'?
5. Send knights out for training. What's the difference between the upper (weak knight in) and lower (strong knight out) buttons --- or is it just one big icon (yes it is just one button isn't it?)
6. No idea

Also, why are my stongest knights never happy? It seems to take me a long time to develop them and their happiness needle rarely gets off zero.

Any more combat tips appreciated...

Finally, what was the verdict on using two mice in WinUAE and having a two player game? I know there has been a thread on this.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settler-combat.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	8101  
Old 01 April 2005, 12:58   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz
Finally, what was the verdict on using two mice in WinUAE and having a two player game? I know there has been a thread on this.
Short version:

- Windows 9x/ME: two (or more) USB mice required. PS/2 or serial mouse can't work in multimouse configuration.
- Windows 2000: not possible
- Windows XP: all mice supported (Select "Raw Mouse [x]")
Old 01 April 2005, 16:34   #3
Pink

2. How many settlers can be made into knights and how many you want to make into knights.
3. This is how aggressive your knights are.
5. This swaps knights on your front line for the better ones in your castle that train faster (I think) knights can still get better in their huts with gold and beer but it takes longer from memory.
6. From memory this is a number for how many knights you want inside your castle. The top being how many you want and the bottom being how many you have. Your castle won't let any knights out till this number is met.

Think I got all that right. It's been a while since I played my Settlers game.
(I'll go and check it later - I don't know much unless I'm playing the game for some silly reason)

'Lecia.
Old 01 April 2005, 18:32   #4
TikTok

4 is 'Strongest knights leave the Guardhouses to enter battle'.

The strongest knights will always leave the castle first to fill up spaces in the guardhouses. However, it is possible that relatively weak knights were sent out to your guardhouses because no stronger ones were available. Then after some time the knights in your castle have become stronger. By using (5) you can make one or two knights from each guard house return to the castle. This will create a 'pool' of knights - from this pool the strongest leave for the guardhouses and the weakest stay behind.
Old 08 April 2005, 23:14   #5
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
From the manual (LSD disc 46) ...
I have the original manual (paper) from the game, and it's not very good with regards to this particular screen; but you are mostly correct...

Quote:
1. Proportion of settlers that become knights
Correct.

Quote:
2. Make available Settlers knights now
Correct, although if I remember correctly, the figure available is actually for number of sword/shield pairs rather than Knights available... You may be able to create a Knight, but if the sword and shield are at different stores, clicking this button won't convert, despite showing "1".

Quote:
3. No idea
Happiness, based purely upon number of processed Gold ingots. The % is attack bonus percent, the bottom figure "17" is the number of ingots

Quote:
4. Strongest knights go out .. is that 'Strongest knights leave the castle for the guardhouses' or 'Strongest knights leave the guardhouses for battle'?
It's all of those. When set to strong, the strongests Knights head to new huts to reinforce first, and leave there to attack first. Defending their Huts etc seems to be random though.

Quote:
5. Send knights out for training. What's the difference between the upper (weak knight in) and lower (strong knight out) buttons --- or is it just one big icon (yes it is just one button isn't it?)
One icon. Clicking it causes a single Knight to leave every hut etc (if he can) and return for training, whilst the strongest Knights (or all, if you don't have enough) leave the Keep/Warehouse and head to the huts. If when all the units get back there are still empty spaces in huts (you've set to be Full, but they aren't yet) the Knights simply leave again and go fill the huts once more.

Quote:
6. No idea
Number of Knights defending your main Keep. Top number is maximum to defend, bottom is how many actually are doing so at present.

Quote:
Also, why are my stongest knights never happy? It seems to take me a long time to develop them and their happiness needle rarely gets off zero.
I've never understood it exactly, but hacking my way through L30 again tonight, I've discovered that although it's supposed to be that Gold in a Hut helps the defenders, whilst total Gold (see your question 3 above) gives the attack bonus for all Knights outside huts, I'm relatively certain that knights which attack from a recently conquered hut (with no gold) are far weaker than they were when leaving my huts with gold.

Quote:
Any more combat tips appreciated...
Attacking the hut from which an attack has just come from is a good way to get lots of your blokes to skirmish around your under attack building, as they wander past it on their way beyond..

And get lots of Gold...
Old 10 April 2005, 15:51   #6
TikTok

Quote:
Correct, although if I remember correctly, the figure available is actually for number of sword/shield pairs rather than Knights available... You may be able to create a Knight, but if the sword and shield are at different stores, clicking this button won't convert, despite showing "1".
I don't think so. This value will only increase if there is a shield, a sword, and an available person to become a knight. Being in different stores should not make a difference - the game should autoatmically transfer one item to the other when required.
Old 14 April 2005, 10:04   #7
gogogo13

There is no beer in Settler 1. BTW did anybody figured out how the landscape generator (the one with the 4x4 field filled with numbers from 1-8) works? B.e. does a certain number change the amount of gold in the mountains etc.

Old 15 April 2005, 04:22   #8
Pink

You came all the way from the top of the thread to point out that minor error completely without a sense of humour! How embarrassing! If KillerGorilla was here he would be forced to spank you.

You should feel ashamed of yourself. That oppurtunity for a funny joke at my expense is now completely gone!

I don't care if you're really tiny and from Timbuktu and it takes you three days to journey from one end of your house to the other, I think you should stand in the corner and feel ashamed of yourself.
Old 15 April 2005, 07:38   #9
Chuckles
The Ancient One

If I had no beer, my sense of humor would be seriously impaired too - especially if I had no bourbon to console myself with.
Old 15 April 2005, 09:17   #10
gogogo13

Oh, come on, our timbuktian english ;-) doesn't understand this kind of humor (Feeling ashamed and standing in a corner).