English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 17 October 2004, 20:32   #1
Flachkoepper

Ethernet connection Amiga-PC. How to transfer files using Amiga Explorer??

Ethernet connection Amiga-PC. How to transfer files using Amiga Explorer??

Can anybody help me, please?

After several hours of work and frustration I have managed it to install an ethernet-connection between my Amiga 1200 (WB 3.1) and my PC (Windows 98). On Amigaside, I use "Miami Deluxe" for initializing the TCP/IP-protocol. When I switch to "online" mode via Miami Deluxe, the "ping"-command on PC-side tells me that the IP of my amiga is ok (data packages can be sent and received). As far so good.

Now I want to transfer files between both computers. I think the "Amiga Explorer" seems to be a good solution, but I have problems installing it:

Searching on the Amiga-Explorer webside ( http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/ ), I only found the setup-File for the Windows OS, which I have installed. But when I click on the appearing "Amiga Explorer"-icon in the Windows-Explorer (being in online-mode on Amigaside), I just get the message "Error connecting with the Amiga server: TCP/IP socket not found / Please make sure that Amiga Explorer 2.1 or higher is running on the amiga, and that both sides are configured properly". Although I typed in the correct Amiga IP-number before - As I told you, "ping" can find the Amiga with this IP address :-/

My question is now:

Do I really have to install an Amiga Explorer-server on the Amiga side when I use a TCP/IP (!) connection? I thought that this step is only necessary when I use a serial connection?! And if so, where can I download this amiga-server software from? On the Amiga Explorer Homepage I just found the setup-file for the Windows OS/PC side. And the aminet only provides a strange kind of update file :-(

I would be thankful for any helping answers.
Old 17 October 2004, 21:27   #2
thomas

Yes, of course you have to install the AExplorer program on the Amiga. It is the same program as for the serial connection and it automatically detects if a TCP/IP stack is running. You should find it on C:\Program files\Cloanto\Amiga Explorer. There should also be a shortcut for copying the needed files to floppy for transfer to the Amiga.
Old 18 October 2004, 00:03   #3
dirkies
Zone Friend

I used OS 3.9 with native TCP/IP on a A4000/060 with the Algor card with a NIC & Amiga Explorer on a Win2000 box, both connected to a hub (since I use the Internet connection aswell on the PC), and with some experimenting with subnets etc I succeeded making the PC talk to the Amiga. You needed to start a little client tool on the Amiga from the AExplorer CD to make it work. I haven't tried to make the Amiga use the internet connection since surfing on Amiga is rather pointless if you have a PC beast next to it!
About 200KB/s is the max I got out of it, not much but since Amiga files are small it's not such a nuisance to me. If you really need big transfers I recommend using a JAZ drive or a CD writer on the Amiga and put the written media then on your PC!
Old 18 October 2004, 11:30   #4
Flachkoepper

@thomas: Thank you for the great hint, it works! I did not notice that the serverprogram for Amiga-side is written to the Amiga Explorer directory on PC-side after installation, but now I have copied the files to Amiga and got the connection :-)

@dirkies: Yes, meanwhile I have noticed that the connection speed is not really fast. A friend of mine used a parallel port connection with a laplink cable and I think my ethernet connection is not much faster as that. But anyway, I am happy to be able organizing my Amiga-harddisk from PC-side now, because without any additional cards and only 2 mb RAM in my Amiga, it was no fun to do that on the Amiga itself :-) A JAZ drive solution sounds good, I think I will have a look at eBay for that ;-)

Thank you both for the great hints, this forum is really fantastic!
Old 19 October 2004, 08:06   #5
adolescent