English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 February 2003, 22:35   #41
Amigaboy

*sigh*
Yet again, I contribute to this thread. I wanted to stay away (hence the silence from me )

Aaaaaanyway
Trodas:
The Trex Warrior ADFs that are widespread on the internet work fine in WinUAE.
The Trex Warrior ADFs that are in the HD install DON'T WORK with WinUAE, nor will they work with a real Amiga!

The first thing I saw are the ADFs it makes are tiny! The first disk is 336kb while the second is 378kb. A far cry from 880kb, although I *believe* it is possible to use smaller ADFs on WinUAE?

With the suspicion that the disks only contain vital information, I looked at the bootblock for disk 1. We all know that the first longword of the bootblock is always the Dos type indicator....I saw nothing of the sort. I saw the text "LOB". Now I'm no expert, but I doubt that's going to be bootable (Codetapper, Galahad, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong)

So I can see the disk is not bootable, but rather than brush off trodas like that, I decided to write the image of the first WHDLoaded ADF back to disk. Unsurprisingly, it didn't work EITHER!

Also, TOSEC only lists 1 disk versions of this game. This HD install has 2? Trex.d1 and Trex.d2. A new version perhaps? I think not.

Therefore, the statement by Trodas which says:

Quote:
but since the game writen back on floppy (Trex Warrior) works (at least the intro works on every Amigas i ever tried), its suspicious that you need illigal, cracked version just to run it under WinUAE...
is false!

You've been PROVEN to be wrong now trodas. This image is not writable back to disk (not in the normal ways at least. As I said before, if this LOB thing is standard in some bootblocks, I'll be happy to retract). Even if this game did have protection, it wouldn't make the slightest difference!

Trodas is the type of person that won't admit he's wrong, no matter what evidence is shown.

If you don't admit you were wrong (and lied too!) trodas, I will stop these inane ramblings of mine and close this thread (I don't care what anyone thinks about this decision. I'm going to do it, so nerr nerr )

Old 24 February 2003, 22:43   #42
oldpx

Quote:
nor will they work with a real Amiga!
Thanks for clarifying this. I were about to transfer it to amiga but suddenly remembered I've formatted my hd :/

Old 24 February 2003, 23:12   #43
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas
Amigaboy - well, what i can say - i transfered the image from and to floppy and everything worked as usualy should.
I have zero idea, what you are talking about - probably you mistaken the one image to splited 2 image version, every from one floppy side, witch obivously solving the miracle, that you can find the DOS

Beginning of orginal Trex Warrior adf file:

"DOS ‡,#s p,y “ÉN®þÚCú ø#@ N®þ..."
Old 24 February 2003, 23:23   #44
oldpx

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-20-troll.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	4772  

Old 24 February 2003, 23:46   #45
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Beware!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troll.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	4776  
Old 24 February 2003, 23:48   #46
Amiga1992

LOL!

Trodas: BOLLOX
Old 25 February 2003, 01:16   #47
RCK
Administrator

thread closed...
Old 25 February 2003, 02:37   #48
Amigaboy

D'oh! I'm reopening this thread.
Reason:
Looking back at my install, I compared it to the JST one, and although my install uses a WHDLoad slave, it uses the JST files.
I downloaded the latest TrexWarrior install from the WHDLoad site and it produces a 1 file disk, as Trodas said.

So, I screwed up (royally! ). It seems I have a possibly unofficial Trex Warrior slave sitting around which uses the JST images

So I apologise to trodas for what I said about the "LOB" thing

BUT

I can get up to the intro on WinUAE as well. Just like that on a real Amiga. This is probably due to protection on the WHDLoad ADF image of Trex Warrior
Due to this, you MUST use the cracked version, or stick with using WHDLoad to run it (or wait for CAPS)
You can't blame WinUAE for this. You need to blame the ADF fileformat for not being able to store the protection (if this game has protection of course....probably does since it doesn't get past the intro)

So yeah. I screwed up because I'm using the unofficial (?) slave
I look like a fool
Sorry goes out to trodas

Thread Re-opened

Old 25 February 2003, 02:54   #49
Amiga1992

Amigaboy: you nasty bitch!
;D
Old 25 February 2003, 12:01   #50
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas
Wink Well, welll... =8-)

Amigaboy - fine then, but we are more close, sadly, to draw - since i found that i was mistaken too - i dont realy tested, what happens when i write the adf Trex Warrior image back to the floppy - i simply and wrongly assumed that at least the intro should work (no matter of protection bited cut-out by the adf image rip) - when it does before i transfered the disk to image and formated it and put into big box of never ever used things

So, it dont work as well on real Amiga (even i disabled cache/chipset) too.

Therefore the text have to be changed that "orginal Trex Warrior ripped to adf image did not work, and its not a WinUAE fault, but a ADF limitation", and therefore just wait if CAPS project come with a better solution
Old 25 February 2003, 12:14   #51
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well ...

Sometimes I even heard tales that the cracked version didn't work with WinUAE.
WHICH WAS TRUE ... for old emulator versions like 0.8.8 R8. No go there.

But I also heard this tale about WinUAE 0.8.17 Rx!
Which was NOT true...but deserves an explanation:

As I pointed out in another thread, Trex Warrior takes very very long in loading unless you activate cycle-exact mode.
Weren't I speaking of 0.8.17? Uh ... yes. And 0.8.17 did NOT have cycle-exact mode yet
So what did people claim to know?

Trex Warrior doesn't work with WinUAE.

And there IS an explanation for this assertion! Without cycle-exact mode, WinUAE takes MORE THAN FOUR MINUTES (literally!) to load the game.
Most people have the LED display switched off, THEREFORE they just claim WinUAE to be frozen or to not work with the game.
Only if you turn on LED display, you will see if WinUAE actually froze or if it still keeps on loading and loading and loadiiiing ...

@Burseg: I don't intend to annoy you too much by explaining my moral concepts to you in detail, but please be fair. Being fair means to NOT call people names. For that you didn't like trodas' (writing) style, was plainly obvious. But if YOU call him names by firing volleys of 'troll! troll!' at him, HE might go mad as well, and this will inevitably result in a personal verbal scuffle. Which is NOT good ... and which, in the past, had already led to the banning of people like Birdy eventually. Just because of such a 'cinch' (?), "starring" two people profoundly hating each other, not only (but also) because of extremely different political attitudes.

Last edited by andreas; 25 February 2003 at 12:25.
Old 25 February 2003, 12:36   #52
BippyM
Global Moderator

Re: Í've learnt my lesson! ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
No! No!

Codetapper & Galahad ... you both told me it's bullsh** what I asserted months ago, and this time I can correct another guy: WHDload HD fixers do never patch images / dumps permanently! That's a canard!
(with one exception: saving space by just compressing the image a bit, omitting unused tracks)

Right guys?
I know it doesnt patch the actual imagefile, it patches it once in memory, and/or patches the memory itself!
Old 25 February 2003, 13:02   #53
oldpx

Quote:
@Burseg: I don't intend to annoy you too.. [snip]
So the thread is reopened. Anyone else willing to give orders to me on how to treat a trollass?

Old 25 February 2003, 16:29   #54
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Anyone else willing to give orders to me on how to treat a trollass?
Yes.

<loop>
- Feed him plenty
- Pet him
<repeat until = fat>

- Chop its head
- Cook for supper
- Sell hair to hairdresser's

Old 25 February 2003, 17:17   #55
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Where is Bub the Zombie when we need him...?
Old 25 February 2003, 22:16   #56
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Re: Re: Í've learnt my lesson! ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
I know it doesnt patch the actual imagefile, it patches it once in memory, and/or patches the memory itself!
Heh, but it really sounded as if you thought that the actual image is modified Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Remember this would be a fierce attack towards our nice WHDload HD-fixing team! You can imagine what they might do with somebody in their team who is caught in the act just hacking the image, can't you?
Old 25 February 2003, 23:51   #57
BippyM
Global Moderator

Don't worry about it Andreas, i generally don't explain myself properly, and people take me or what I say the wrong way (entirely my fault most times), and it isn't confined to forums and net chat, I have the same problem in the real world

I know alot about the Amiga and the inner workings, but tend to keep quiet becaus I find it difficult explaining what I mean without ranting or saying exactly what I mean. Sometimes I do speak up, because the answer is obvious or it isn't too obvious and maybe I am the only person who knows.

It seems Trodas doesn't have a huge amount of Amiga knowledge (like others on here) and he takes things the WRONG WAY also, he replies in a negative manner, and then an argument is born everyone needs to chill out, and Trodas needs to accept that he doesn't know as much as he thinks, and listen to advice from more experienced users

anyway RANT OFF!

also a few WHD installs will split the imagefile into smaller parts, a couple of 1 disk games have a disk.1 and a disk.2, I cannot remember off the top of my head any such installs, but when I come across a couple I'll let you know

also some are packed, RNC, IMP!, CrM!(And varients) PP20, XPK etc.. while others have the bootblock removed, which I think would be a good idea in all WHD installs.